PDA

View Full Version : 5th arm question

mod88s
01-16-2016, 02:36 PM
Should you have a take up spring on the 5th coil? im assuming under braking there would be a gap between the spring and top of coilover kit so when you get back into the throttle it would be a smoother transition...

Matt49
01-16-2016, 03:49 PM
No need for a take-up spring. Use the same shock protector that I linked you to in your question about the RR. The take up spring isn't really enough spring to provide any real "transition". But what you want to avoid is the spring catching on the inner lip of the adjuster nut and then snapping down on to the actual seat.

grt74
01-16-2016, 08:46 PM
Should you have a take up spring on the 5th coil? im assuming under braking there would be a gap between the spring and top of coilover kit so when you get back into the throttle it would be a smoother transition...

some do use one,keeps everything in line
if the spring is jumping off the cup i would use one(I've seen it before,when the car comes in the spring will be on the cup sideways touching the shock shaft)
the higher the spring rate the more likely it will help

mod88s
01-16-2016, 09:06 PM
How much preload do you put on the 5th coil spring? Im guessing you set the pinion angle with the 6th coil, then set preload on 5th coil? Is this the correct process?

RacerX10
01-16-2016, 09:16 PM
How much preload do you put on the 5th coil spring? Im guessing you set the pinion angle with the 6th coil, then set preload on 5th coil? Is this the correct process?

Rocket says to preload the 5th coil 1/4", preload the 6th coil 1/2"