PDA

View Full Version : Ohlin right rear question

mod88s
01-16-2016, 02:38 PM
On an ohlin shock and coilover kit, the bottom cup just sits down over a rubber o ring but there is no pin to keep the cup in place. seems like it would be easy for that cup to pop out.. should i be running a take up spring on the right rear to keep pressure on the bottom cup?

Matt49
01-16-2016, 03:41 PM
They surprisingly stay seated quite well. Just wire tie the spring to the cup so that the spring doesn't try to go up over the inner edge of the seat. Use one of these also:
https://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=750&part=ALL64201&add=no
This accomplishes two things:
1) It keeps the top of the spring from getting caught on the adjuster nut lip and then "popping" back into place.
2) Protects the threads of the shock from wear by the top of the spring rubbing it all the time.

One thing that is becoming more common is chain travel limiters on the right rear and a lot of guys are limiting the travel to right where the spring comes unseated. But there are other reasons why they are limiting the travel besides the spring seating issue.

mod88s
01-16-2016, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the link.. when you jack your car up in the rear, do you have gap between top of spring and adjuster nut? about how much gap?

FlatTire
01-17-2016, 08:40 AM
Yes you may hav a gap, too many variables to say exactly how much. Mine is usually 2inches.

mod88s
01-17-2016, 09:52 AM
I dont understand how that bottom cup would EVER stay in place with no pin holding it in

Wheelman33
01-17-2016, 11:48 AM
There are 2 holes by the bottom adjuster that you can run zip ties through them and around your cup and spring. Holds it all together. Check them weekly to make sure they didn't break or loosen due to spring rotation.