PDA

View Full Version : Deadhead style regulator

parocket
01-19-2016, 10:06 AM
Anyone using a deadhead style fuel regulator where there is no return line to the tank? Good ? Bad?

I'm planning a Pro Cam mechanical fuel pump that runs 15psi on a 430 all alum engine, I don't have a return line currently, want to run a regulator found this style seems like a good idea.

Matt49
01-19-2016, 01:58 PM
I don't like dead-head regulators for several reasons.
A dead-head regulator is essentially an intentional clog in the system that the pump is constantly having to work against. The fuel that is NOT released through to the fuel log is backed up, putting a back pressure on the fuel pump. Not good.
It also causes the fuel to move SLOWER from the pump to the regulator and the fuel will build up heat in the engine compartment. Not good.
A return style regulator has the benefit of keeping fuel flowing at all times. This means minimal heat build up and no added work for the pump.
A return style also adds the benefit of the option of running it at the BACK of the fuel log which keeps the regulator from restricting flow to the carb while allowing it to continue to regulate pressure. This means better fuel flow at WOT in the event that the regulator has the potential to restrict flow (flow and pressure are not the same and the carb needs both at WOT).
Run your fuel line from the pump to the front of the fuel log and attach the regulator to the back. The pressure at the back of the fuel log is the same as the pressure at the needle valves so don't let anybody convince you that this won't work because the regulator is not BETWEEN the pump and the carb. That simply isn't true. As soon as the pressure at the back of the log reaches the desire return level, the pressure at the needle valves will be the same and the regulator will be doing its job WITHOUT the possibility of restricting the flow of fuel to wide open valve.

Punisher88
01-19-2016, 02:10 PM
^^^exact same way I've ran mine for 5 years now. Hardly ever an issue.

Bubstr
01-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Matt 49 is 100% accurate, look up Pacal's law.

parocket
01-21-2016, 08:44 AM
good points, thanks Matt. I think I'll run the return line. Actually found a nice Aeromotove Fuel log with the regulator on the back.

LateModel B23
01-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Are you running this setup with gas or alk?