PDA

View Full Version : JD or Rumley?

klemmabyna
01-19-2016, 07:41 PM
who's winning the races? can he drive or is the equipment one step ahead awaiting the next wave?

just stirring the pot before florida. cause Arizona delivered nothing more whining.

TheJet-09
01-19-2016, 07:45 PM
I believe Rayburn himself said drivers win races, not cars. And anyone who has ever met CJ would probably agree he is a proud man, so I say it is mainly Davenport. What percent...who knows.

Hoosier_Dirt
01-19-2016, 07:58 PM
Combination of both!!

BigNilla
01-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Davenport is a good driver but how was he prior to teaming up with Rumley? Not criticizing him but I think it's an 80%-20% with those two. Take your pick of good drivers, put them in that car and you would have near instant success

IZZOJR16
01-19-2016, 08:11 PM
JD has a lead foot for sure!!!! BOTH!!!! these guys at the top level I'm guessing are pretty much equal in talent.

Kwd1253
01-19-2016, 08:20 PM
I think it just the formula of both them. Jd can wheel a car and Rumley took the time to understand jd driving abilities and where make the car better for jd when jd needs something to be change make car better for him. Just like when Chris fox and jimmy was together it was a good formula.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
01-19-2016, 08:27 PM
I think it just the formula of both them. Jd can wheel a car and Rumley took the time to understand jd driving abilities and where make the car better for jd when jd needs something to be change make car better for him. Just like when Chris fox and jimmy was together it was a good formula.

I think your right kwd well said!

RoundNrOUND
01-19-2016, 09:10 PM
Davenport has always been a great driver. He had good success with Barry and even I believe he would of had better results at Bowyers, but they gave up on him. His main issue for some time was his personal issues and he now seems to have those under control and I couldn't be happier for him. With that said Kevin is a great mind that thinks waaaay outside the box that's producing a ton of speed. The combo of the two of them is something you just don't see everyday and they really gel. I'm happy for the both of them because they are both really good guys and a blast to be around.

t3r3e3
01-19-2016, 11:37 PM
Davenport is a good driver but how was he prior to teaming up with Rumley? Not criticizing him but I think it's an 80%-20% with those two. Take your pick of good drivers, put them in that car and you would have near instant success

Short memory anyone? It was Davenport's absolute tear in the 49 car that earned him a seat in the 15 car. People forget that JD won 100 lappers and 75's well before getting in the 6. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he won Magnolia and Whynot pretty close to each other against very stout fields. Also battled Madden to pretty much a draw on their home turf when Madden was the top dog in the region. Davenport has the ability to wring just about everything out of the car that is there. It's why guys like himself and, although it pains me to say it, Josh Richards, get more out of their equipment than the other guys who have shared the seat in recent years. The obvious caveat was Sheppard winning the DTWC, but remember that Eckert ran like a 3 legged dog in the same car. Steve Shaver was a threat at VMS, Florence, WV Motor, and a few other tracks in the 6, but he wasn't up front everywhere like JD.

At some point people have to accept that Davenport is one of the top talents in the sport. Pair him with a savvy and intelligent guy like Rumley, and you. Get one of the Top 5 teams in the business.

Barbecueboy
01-19-2016, 11:43 PM
Short memory anyone? It was Davenport's absolute tear in the 49 car that earned him a seat in the 15 car. People forget that JD won 100 lappers and 75's well before getting in the 6. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he won Magnolia and Whynot pretty close to each other against very stout fields. Also battled Madden to pretty much a draw on their home turf when Madden was the top dog in the region. Davenport has the ability to wring just about everything out of the car that is there. It's why guys like himself and, although it pains me to say it, Josh Richards, get more out of their equipment than the other guys who have shared the seat in recent years. The obvious caveat was Sheppard winning the DTWC, but remember that Eckert ran like a 3 legged dog in the same car. Steve Shaver was a threat at VMS, Florence, WV Motor, and a few other tracks in the 6, but he wasn't up front everywhere like JD.

At some point people have to accept that Davenport is one of the top talents in the sport. Pair him with a savvy and intelligent guy like Rumley, and you. Get one of the Top 5 teams in the business.
I didn't forget any of that........but to be honest, I think it's the Chapstick.

Escobar
01-20-2016, 07:42 AM
It's lightning in a bottle. 70-30/60-40 with Rumley taking the edge. You talk to any driver on the national scene these days and they'll tell you that the cars are 60-70% of the equation now. Sure, driving ability is still a critical component of success, but not near as important as it once was.

clayman2
01-20-2016, 08:01 AM
the most important part of any racecar is the DRIVER I don't care who sets it up !!!!

pink floyd
01-20-2016, 08:45 AM
jd seems to get the most out of the cars given to him by rumley, but I would think that there are many other drivers out there that would have as much success in it as jd has. 70-30 in favor of rumley. and, their key to success has yet to be revealed.

oldfart50
01-20-2016, 08:53 AM
You have to give JD a lot of credit. That 6 car never ran this well until he got in it. It isn't like they went from being an average team until Rumley just woke up one morning and was smarter than he had ever been before. JD had more success than the team before they got together...

Barbecueboy
01-20-2016, 09:09 AM
You have to give JD a lot of credit. That 6 car never ran this well until he got in it. It isn't like they went from being an average team until Rumley just woke up one morning and was smarter than he had ever been before. JD had more success than the team before they got together...

I think the car ran competitively well when they were part timing it with the drivers that were in it.....it just never was consistently doing it nor doing it at the frequency of racetracks they are now.

The rumley car has ALWAYS been stout.( as in , every national race they pulled up into , people didn't want none of that little local Greensboro team stout).........it's just now being showcased on a national level.......

FlatTire
01-20-2016, 09:28 AM
I think you will get your answer after the first few Lucas Oil races when the technical advantage is taken away.

blncfn57
01-20-2016, 09:39 AM
I think you will get your answer after the first few Lucas Oil races when the technical advantage is taken away.

If you listen to Rumley in his interview, all that stuff was off the car awhile ago...... was it? Your guess is as good as mine.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
01-20-2016, 09:46 AM
If you listen to Rumley in his interview, all that stuff was off the car awhile ago...... was it? Your guess is as good as mine.

It was for the last race at the wws.

A few more days of tweeking on car at shop and it will be faster for gldn isle!

Barbecueboy
01-20-2016, 09:59 AM
That's a good place to be fast at........

B_K
01-20-2016, 10:04 AM
First off I'll be blunt, I used to hate Davenport. The talent was always obvious on track, but he had little respect for equipment, his or anyone else's. Off track at times he seemed even worse.

Long story short from my surface level view point, he's finally gotten out of his own way. He's crazy gifted behind the wheel, and that's pretty obvious to everyone now. I don't know if it's age, fatherhood, or a combination of the two, but he just carries himself different now. Not saying he's a saint, but who is really? I've grown to really enjoy watching him race. Plus he's a GA boy so I naturally want to pull for our guys.

It's not all him though, Rumley is as good as there is at setting a car up to fit his driver. He's smart, yeah he knows it too, but confidence and success sometimes rubs folks the wrong way. I don't know him personally, but outside looking in seems like a funny guy who's great at what he does.

So to me it's both. Kind of like the Gordon/Evernham days of old. They're both good separately, but together they're lethal.

WisWildManFan
01-20-2016, 10:34 AM
I will wait to see how they perform under the 2016 lucas rules. I know a lot of people are claiming they went to WWS with 2016 lucas legal rules but if I dominated 2015 the way they did I would run that set up every time I was allowed to.

Josh Bayko
01-20-2016, 10:39 AM
It's a combination of Davenport coming into his own as a top level driver coming together with a car that was redesigned onto a different level by his car owner. It was kind of perfect timing on both ends. Looks so far like the combination is still very potent, but as we all know that groove could go off the rails at any time. Nobody stays on top forever.

shagger
01-20-2016, 10:42 AM
It's a combination of Davenport coming into his own as a top level driver coming together with a car that was redesigned onto a different level by his car owner. It was kind of perfect timing on both ends. Looks so far like the combination is still very potent, but as we all know that groove could go off the rails at any time. Nobody stays on top forever. I believe a little credit needs to be given to that 70+ year old man building those power plants under the hood!!!!

Josh Bayko
01-20-2016, 10:54 AM
I believe a little credit needs to be given to that 70+ year old man building those power plants under the hood!!!!

You're right, I was remiss in mentioning Leroy. Smooth, reliable power under the hood is also a pivotal part of a winning program.

B_K
01-20-2016, 11:37 AM
I believe a little credit needs to be given to that 70+ year old man building those power plants under the hood!!!!

Good point the 6 never looks like HP is an issue. Doesn't he turn 80 this year? It's nice to see a guy that's been around and contributed a lot to the sport get a payoff like last year.

Barbecueboy
01-20-2016, 03:01 PM

Basically on the two saw horses and a dirty piece of 3/4 inch plywood as a work table.

Awesome story.

dirtdobber45
01-20-2016, 03:13 PM
I believe its a combination of all 3. JD is a good driver and K Rumley has figured out how JD wants set up and of courseLeroy and his motors one of the best engine builders thats ever lived.

drano
01-20-2016, 04:51 PM
JD has raced for the Rumleys before.

rickybrown1952
01-20-2016, 05:06 PM
the most important part of any racecar is the DRIVER I don't care who sets it up !!!!I agree it don't matter how good u set up a car the driver has to get that car around the track and across the finish line

King1
01-20-2016, 07:34 PM
Davenport was only good at the end of the year at places like why not, Cherokee, Charlotte eams, and boyds, but with the exception of Charlotte he only won races where Randy weaver, Vic hill and the rest of the southern regulars showed up. Cold weather and shorter days was the only time he was any good.
The six team was competitive and wasn't all that great in 2014. The only reason they win now is because a man that should be in formula 1 took the time to make a racecar just for Jonathan Davenport. Davenport is a good driver but take Kevin away and stick him in a bwrc again and see the same results as 2010, 11, 12, and 13. So who wants to tell me how stupid I am ??? I know its coming

Barbecueboy
01-20-2016, 07:48 PM
Davenport was only good at the end of the year at places like why not, Cherokee, Charlotte eams, and boyds, but with the exception of Charlotte he only won races where Randy weaver, Vic hill and the rest of the southern regulars showed up. Cold weather and shorter days was the only time he was any good.
The six team was competitive and wasn't all that great in 2014. The only reason they win now is because a man that should be in formula 1 took the time to make a racecar just for Jonathan Davenport. Davenport is a good driver but take Kevin away and stick him in a bwrc again and see the same results as 2010, 11, 12, and 13. So who wants to tell me how stupid I am ??? I know its coming

Not sure I quite agree with the first couple sentences or the last couple,but all that stuff in the middle is spot on King........

Especially the F1 mention

Bubstr
01-20-2016, 09:11 PM
It's all Leroy. He started the team, builds the engines, he made Kevin into what he is today and probably hired JD. Dad's never get enough credit.

edavis71
01-20-2016, 09:14 PM
jd seems to get the most out of the cars given to him by rumley, but I would think that there are many other drivers out there that would have as much success in it as jd has. 70-30 in favor of rumley. and, their key to success has yet to be revealed.

Thinking the same thing!!!

edavis71
01-20-2016, 09:19 PM

If you are stupid then I guess that we both are. IMO, this is a very accurate post for the most part!!!

oldfart50
01-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Davenport was only good at the end of the year at places like why not, Cherokee, Charlotte eams, and boyds, but with the exception of Charlotte he only won races where Randy weaver, Vic hill and the rest of the southern regulars showed up. Cold weather and shorter days was the only time he was any good. The six team was competitive and wasn't all that great in 2014. The only reason they win now is because a man that should be in formula 1 took the time to make a racecar just for Jonathan Davenport. Davenport is a good driver but take Kevin away and stick him in a bwrc again and see the same results as 2010, 11, 12, and 13. So who wants to tell me how stupid I am ??? I know its coming Kevin has lived right square in the middle of NASCAR country his whole life. If he was as smart as some would like to think he would have been working on a Cup team a long time ago making real money...

poolcuemaster
01-20-2016, 09:47 PM
Davenport left Rumley's a few years ago cause he wanted to race every weekend and Leroy only wanted to race for 10 thousand or more, now they both get what they want and need. The crew chief at Boyer's would not listen to Barry Wright or JD so JD was in a bad situation but getting in better physical condition while there really helped I think. He is a wheelman and I hope he blisters there A$$es again this year.--Leonard

PS to OLDFART he is working for two Nascar stars and has made Longhorn Chassis rise above a rocket...

oldfart50
01-20-2016, 11:21 PM
Davenport left Rumley's a few years ago cause he wanted to race every weekend and Leroy only wanted to race for 10 thousand or more, now they both get what they want and need. The crew chief at Boyer's would not listen to Barry Wright or JD so JD was in a bad situation but getting in better physical condition while there really helped I think. He is a wheelman and I hope he blisters there A$$es again this year.--Leonard PS to OLDFART he is working for two Nascar stars and has made Longhorn Chassis rise above a rocket... They are no longer stars. I worked in that shop over 20 years ago. I know exactly who they are. Kevin would never make it in the big leagues... Doesnt make him a bad guy.

Barbecueboy
01-21-2016, 09:35 AM
Kevin has lived right square in the middle of NASCAR country his whole life. If he was as smart as some would like to think he would have been working on a Cup team a long time ago making real money...

Yeah instead of inventing parts and patenting them to sell to the said cup teams........

Somehow, ( and I may be wrong) , I don't think it's ever been, nor ever will be strictly about the money.

Kevin's biggest payoff are the riches he gets internally by being smarter and knowing just how to figure stuff out.

Most smart guys are like that, the money ends up finding them anyway.

Barbecueboy
01-21-2016, 09:38 AM
They are no longer stars. I worked in that shop over 20 years ago. I know exactly who they are. Kevin would never make it in the big leagues... Doesnt make him a bad guy.

Everybody has one of these^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some are even correct.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-21-2016, 10:39 AM
On a local to regional level, you can win races with a really good car or a really good driver with the other piece simply being competent.

On the Lucas/WoO level, you have to have both operating at a very high level.

There were a lot of places this past summer where JD was a 1/2 second better than the competition if he pushed it for a lap here and there instead of coasting. So certainly, they have some things figured out with the car. But a guy who wins 2 local shows a year isn't going to have the success he had in that car.

Clayton_Wetter
01-21-2016, 05:14 PM
the most important part of any racecar is the DRIVER I don't care who sets it up !!!!

So when Earl Pearson quit winning he suddenly lost talent? Help me out here!! :)

Barbecueboy
01-21-2016, 09:47 PM
So when Earl Pearson quit winning he suddenly lost talent? Help me out here!! :)

Good point and well stated , but he did win in prehistoric longhorn, finished top 5 or better in Lucas running the only longhorn known to mankind at the time.

Not too shabby.......glad they didn't shutter it when they could have.

Makes today's success sweet

TGoulet1113
02-03-2016, 10:00 PM
I think it's just the right combination. Like Johnson/Knaus. I don't think either of them would be as good without the other.