PDA

View Full Version : De-Indexed LR Lower on Rocket ?

RacerX10
01-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Found what seems odd to me on this 2010 Rocket Blue/Gray that I bought used.

All radius rods at the birdcage appear to mount at about 4.5" off the centerline of the axle, EXCEPT the Left Rear Lower rod, which is mounted on the birdcage at about 6" off the centerline of the axle.

Is this normal ? On the birdcage, that rod is mounted as far away from the centerline as it will go.

I'm thinking this might explain some of the extreme angles I'm seeing in the radius rods (as shown in the picture on the radius rod thread).

I can't find anything in the Rocket manual about what is the "default" location at the birdcage for the radius rods, but I'd always thought it was 4.5" top and bottom on both sides.

Matt49
01-26-2016, 08:52 PM
Decreases birdcage indexing (looser off)
Increases thrust angle (tighter off)
Increases rear steer (looser in and off)

RacerX10
01-26-2016, 08:56 PM
Thanks for your comment Matt, but I think that just confused me more. Are you saying that 4.5 off centerline *IS* the default setup, and increasing the left rear lower radius rod offset from centerline to 6" does what you posted ?

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-26-2016, 09:22 PM
4.5" is std. If you move the bar to 6", it will carry less of the thrust load and affect birdcage index to a lesser degree.

RacerX10
01-26-2016, 09:49 PM
Ok great, thanks guys. Seems like the person I bought this car from had it pretty jacked up from the standard config :)

Kinda looks like he was hunting for traction .. extreme angle on LR upper, short LR upper, higher thrust angle on LR lower. I wonder if I will have the same problem ? (haven't raced this chassis yet)

PushinTheLimit
01-27-2016, 07:44 AM
What kind of motor are you running? I've got a 604 crate in my 06 blue front and it's taken me quite a while to get it to loosen up... too much traction. I'm hoping that when I change to a steelhead or super, that will be an advantage lol.

RacerX10
01-27-2016, 07:47 AM
Open motor in my car, but yah ... I've heard you don't have the crutch of bustin' em loose with a crate car.

keeks
01-27-2016, 06:47 PM
PushinTheLimit, what kind of things have you done to loosen up your car. I'm having the same problems. Too tight everywhere.

7uptruckracer
01-28-2016, 07:54 AM
PushinTheLimit, what kind of things have you done to loosen up your car. I'm having the same problems. Too tight everywhere.

Left Side weight, Rear weight, LF spring. RR spring, RS Bars, Shock settings. I'm familiar with his car and setup. His is a crate so you have to account for less HP and less speed and how that effects your wheel loading and travel. He doesn't even have the newest blue updates and he runs really well and is only in his second or third full year if i remember correctly.

PushinTheLimit
01-28-2016, 08:04 AM
You beat me to it lol. Also I've moved my j-bar up some on the pinion from what the rocket bock specs. I've also slightly changed some front settings as well to my liking. This year will be my 3rd full year in late models.

keeks
01-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Great info. Thanks guys. I run with Wissota but I'm on the steelhead spec motor. I'm down on hp quite a bit, all these ideas will help lots.