PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Drivers Competing In This Weekend's Rolex 24

CIRF
01-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Kyle Larson and his NASCAR Ganassi teammate Jamie McMurray along with Indy Car racing veterans Scott Dixon and Tony Kanaan will try to go back-to-back in this weekend's Rolex 24 Hours Of Daytona.

Being a dirt guy is of special interest. Larson accomplished something last year that neither Stewart or Jimmie Johnson could pull off in their numerous attempt at winning the coveted Rolex watch. Johnson has finished 2nd a couple of times over the years but never could pull of the victory, neither could Stewart.

Good luck to Larson and his whole team. Dirt racing is once again alive, well and hopefully celebrating another overall win on Sunday afternoon following the 24 hours of racing.

NormP
01-29-2016, 03:05 PM
One of the most prestigious events in all of racing. Winning this is about as good as it gets. As much as I love dirt racing, there's nothing on dirt that compares to it. Good luck to them.

MotoMatt
01-29-2016, 03:26 PM
Earnhardt and Jr. did pretty well in the Corvette cars at the 24 of Daytona, in fact I believe that type of racing was Sr's retirement plan.

CIRF
01-29-2016, 04:20 PM
Earnhardt and Earnhardt Jr., along with Andy Pilgrim and Kerry Collins ended up 4th, 14 laps down to the #2 Corvette team who were the overall winners in 2001 2 weeks prior to Earnhardt's death.

The 2014 race ended with the Larson, McMurray, Kanaan, Dixon team running 2nd, I believe, very late in the race when they had mechanical difficulties that knocked them out completely. Even with the DNF they ended up 15th overall, 28 laps down. Ganassi was quoted praising the job Larson did in his very first sports car race.

In 2015 Larson turned some of the fastest laps in his driving stints with the winning overall team in just his second Roles 24. Dirt guy winning drivin' a sporty car, don't happen too often.