PDA

View Full Version : New WoO Sponsor

BTExpress
02-01-2016, 07:35 AM
Sear's Craftsman brand of tools just announced as the new title sponsor for both the WoO sprint cars and dirt late models. A three year agreement was announced this morning. This is good for dirt racing.

Josh Bayko
02-01-2016, 08:05 AM
It is a good thing. Smart marketing on Craftsman's part too. Racers need lots of tools.

bleedblue55
02-01-2016, 08:33 AM
Hard to believe given the multiple declarations of impending death from all the Lucas boot lickers on here.

Bubstr
02-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Nothing wrong with Craftsman tools. I bought my first set in 1959 and still have most of them or their replacements. Guaranteed for life. Made a living with them over all these years. Good value for the price.

zach51
02-01-2016, 11:55 AM
Craftsman is good stuff. I swapped to snap on cordless power tools back in the mid 2000's or so when they came out with the 18v impact, very expensive but worth it. But in the last 3-4 years since craftsman has come out with the lithium 19.2 (I think it is) for their cordless power those batteries have been great compared to the old ones.

P.S. I just realized this is irrelevant to the thread and nobody cares, sorry.

Barbecueboy
02-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Hard to believe given the multiple declarations of impending death from all the Lucas boot lickers on here.

Like woo........craftsman used to be at the top of the heap.

Maybe they can both synergize themselves back on top.

Highside Hustler25
02-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Nothing wrong with Craftsman tools. I bought my first set in 1959 and still have most of them or their replacements. Guaranteed for life. Made a living with them over all these years. Good value for the price.

If you like Chinese:)

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-01-2016, 12:49 PM
Y'all do realize the sprint cars clinched this deal. LMs are just along for the ride. They are like the hornet support division on WoO sprint night at your favorite track.

zach51
02-01-2016, 12:52 PM
I hate to break it to ya, but a lot of snap on stuff is made in china, ESPECIALLY some of the power tools. That doesn't mean they aren't great, I love mine, but just because it says "Snap-On Kenosha, WI" on the tool doesn't mean it was made there....

latemodelfan
02-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Good for WOO and good for Craftsman.

dirtMAN007
02-01-2016, 01:36 PM
Just because it is American made doesn't necessarily mean it is quality ! Just saying !

huskerdirt
02-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Y'all do realize the sprint cars clinched this deal. LMs are just along for the ride. They are like the hornet support division on WoO sprint night at your favorite track.

IMO..... It's always been that way.

WoO has never treated late models like a premier division.

pabandit
02-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Good deal for WoO. Sponsorships of any kind are hardly a dime a dozen!

zach51
02-01-2016, 02:03 PM
In all fairness though, the late models have only been around 12 years or so, and the sprints almost 40 The sprints are the greatest show on dirt, that won't ever change. The speed, the support from Nascar drivers. Nascar fans know who Sammy Swindell, Kasey Kahne, Steve Kinser, Tony Stewart are. No offense, but nobody that isn't a fan of Late Model racing and follows it closely knows who any of the WOO LM drivers are.

huskerdirt
02-01-2016, 02:30 PM
In all fairness though, the late models have only been around 12 years or so, and the sprints almost 40 The sprints are the greatest show on dirt, that won't ever change. The speed, the support from Nascar drivers. Nascar fans know who Sammy Swindell, Kasey Kahne, Steve Kinser, Tony Stewart are. No offense, but nobody that isn't a fan of Late Model racing and follows it closely knows who any of the WOO LM drivers are.

That is true. I don't think the brand in the late models is very good right now. If I told the casual or even sprint car fan that the outlaws are coming to town. A) they would think that's the sprints. B) They really don't know who races in that series. They might answer with Richards or McCreadie but that's it.

3 years ago not a lot of people outside of the late model world knew who Davenport was. By mid season in 2015.... Everybody in all forms racing knew who he was.

kidrock
02-01-2016, 03:14 PM
I bought a craftsman drill and impact and they are junk. I will not be buying anymore but, glad to see they are joining the WOO as a sponsor. I hope it works out for both. I did buy a craftsman riding mower and a push mower last year and so far so good with those.

zach51
02-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Yeah even McCreadie or Richards might be a stretch. If you said the WOO Late Models were coming to town they would probably say "OH Bloomquist and Moyer?" I guess it depends on how casual the fans are. There just aren't enough die-hards left to fill the stands at every show. The die-hards need to bring friends!

ClampedUp
02-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Is Sears/Craftsman even going to be around for three more years??
Every few months you hear that they are closing more stores....

BTExpress
02-01-2016, 05:01 PM
As discussed on this board many times, there is definitely a need for the WoO series. It gives a dozen or more drivers an opportunity to be full time race car drivers and the fans throughout half the country to see a top professional touring series. If the WoO folded up shop tomorrow, you would still only have 12 to 14 teams follow the LOLMS tour. The current purses could not support 20 full time teams. The WoO still has some darn good drivers. These same drivers would dominate their local tracks on any given Saturday night. I for one, enjoy watching them when they come to town.

old fan
02-01-2016, 05:23 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craftsman_%28tools%29

MUD MAESTRO
02-01-2016, 05:33 PM
I buy my Craftmens at Kmart....just saying.

kidrock
02-01-2016, 06:15 PM
Yeah their electric tools are awful. I'm a big fan of Milwaukee tools but even DeWalt, Bosch, Tool Truck brands, anything but Craftsman, Harbor Freight, Kobalt, etc.

Thanks,
Jeff.

Yep I agree 100% and I doubt I ever by a craftsman drill again but, I would like to support the series so, who knows maybe I will buy a new snowblower this spring when they go on sale.

NormP
02-01-2016, 11:43 PM
I hear when the 3 year deal with Craftsman is up, WoO is going to really push for a sponsorship deal with Harbor Freight Tools...

old fan
02-02-2016, 06:43 AM
sponsorship = money just saying

Barbecueboy
02-02-2016, 07:13 AM
I hear when the 3 year deal with Craftsman is up, WoO is going to really push for a sponsorship deal with Harbor Freight Tools...

Funny...........

DoubleZero
02-02-2016, 07:58 AM
SEARS was acquired by K-mart (struggling with their own financial woes) a few years back. It's new world economics....... similar to Office Depot 'expanding' while operating in bankruptcy, actually that's the K-mart - SEARS story too. American hand tools began disappearing in the 1980's to the Chinese, who simply bought the brand-name ......Black-hawk, and NAPA/ New Britton are both examples. Hand tool-pricies once were marked up three times, like furniture and jewelry. When you bought one wrench, you were paying for three (assuming you'd come back twice for a warranty). Snap-On and the other tool-truck firms can still charge these types of prices because they finance most their sales. But, aside form all that, the WoO / Craftsman deal is huge, especially when one considers they're a former NASCAR advocate. Obviously, Craftsman saw a better fit and value in dirt racing.

pink floyd
02-02-2016, 08:10 AM
glad to hear this. our shop/garage has only craftsman tools and they have held up great, even the electric stuff. the only complaint from me is their aluminum floor jacks - junk!!

kidrock
02-02-2016, 08:34 AM
SEARS was acquired by K-mart (struggling with their own financial woes) a few years back. It's new world economics....... similar to Office Depot 'expanding' while operating in bankruptcy, actually that's the K-mart - SEARS story too. American hand tools began disappearing in the 1980's to the Chinese, who simply bought the brand-name ......Black-hawk, and NAPA/ New Britton are both examples. Hand tool-pricies once were marked up three times, like furniture and jewelry. When you bought one wrench, you were paying for three (assuming you'd come back twice for a warranty). Snap-On and the other tool-truck firms can still charge these types of prices because they finance most their sales. But, aside form all that, the WoO / Craftsman deal is huge, especially when one considers they're a former NASCAR advocate. Obviously, Craftsman saw a better fit and value in dirt racing.

I'm sure they wanted to stay in racing but, at a cheaper price. They get the best of both worlds. They still get exposer at a cheaper price.

zach51
02-02-2016, 12:29 PM
There is a difference in what you plan on using them for tool. Most people maybe use their drill/drivers 4-5 times a month (maybe) where as if you are a mechanic and use it 3-5 hours a day, that is a whole different need in quality. The time you'll spend running back and forth to Sears over the course of a year would pay for the higher priced tool. but again, I had never had problems with the craftsman power tool itself, only the batteries. But since the new 19.2 lithiums came out, I bought a pair of those and everything is fine. If you need to grab a light or a drill real quick you can count on the battery still having some charge if you haven't used it in a week, where as the old Ni-Cad batts would die in a few days time.

But I digress, enough tool talk........

over4T
02-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Recently went shopping for a new 3/8" drill made in the U.S.A. and couldn't find one. All of the old American staples; Craftsman, Dewalt, Milwaukeee , etc. are Chinese made. Ironically, a lot of Ryobi stuff is made in S. Carolina and my Hitachi compressor was built in Italy. I don't like the trend but it's a different (global) world now.

dirtisforracin
02-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Good news for sport of dirt late model racing. Period. Hopefully it helps drivers and purses. No sponsorship is bad and definitely better than none at all.

GRT62
02-02-2016, 02:52 PM
To me WRG will not be on the level of LOLMS without a TV deal. TV deal=more available sponsorship for drivers and teams.So until they land a TV deal your premiere teams will be on the LOLMS regardless of who the title sponsor is just my .02.

jog49
02-02-2016, 03:09 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why this dolt in Pennsylvania is constantly breaking tools?

ClampedUp
02-02-2016, 03:58 PM
To me WRG will not be on the level of LOLMS without a TV deal. TV deal=more available sponsorship for drivers and teams.So until they land a TV deal your premiere teams will be on the LOLMS regardless of who the title sponsor is just my .02.

Really?? Other than the cars that Forrest Lucas has his various companies and products on with the money coming from him one way or another what other "big" sponsors has LOLMS TV exposure brought to the other teams??

Also "if" Forrest Lucas didn't have his own TV station MAVTV (which many can't even get) would they have all the TV coverage they have now??

huskerdirt
02-02-2016, 04:05 PM
Really?? Other than the cars that Forrest Lucas has his various companies and products on with the money coming from him one way or another what other "big" sponsors has LOLMS TV exposure brought to the other teams??

Also "if" Forrest Lucas didn't have his own TV station MAVTV (which many can't even get) would they have all the TV coverage they have now??

Georgia Boot
Peak
Valvoline
Crop Production
Mark Martin Automotive

Whether you agree with TV exposure adding to the sport or not. All the drivers that have run the series say TV exposure is one of the reasons why they choose to follow the series.

Just because you don't have MavTV doesn't mean you can't see the TV races. I don't have that channel and I'm still able to watch most if not all the TV races. NBC sports, and CBS sports have those races on.

Josh Bayko
02-02-2016, 08:30 PM

There is no such thing in dirt racing as a TV deal. All dirt racing on TV is paid for by the sanction, and TV time is anything but cheap, that's why most of it is on at goofy times.

old fan
02-02-2016, 08:33 PM
except lucas is on the net also

Josh Bayko
02-02-2016, 08:38 PM
except lucas is on the net also

WRG has had streaming for a few years now with Dirtvision.

SnakeX3
02-02-2016, 09:00 PM
The article on DoD ( http://dirtondirt.com/story_8907.html ) has this to say, "More details on Craftsman programs centered on fans and race teams — perhaps including WoO television broadcast plans for 2016 — are expected to be announced in the near future, but the most immediate fallout of the sponsorship deal is more of the behind-the-scenes nature"

More DLM racing on TV sounds good to me! Hopefully it pans out.

The article also makes a point to say the Late Models weren't just a throw-in. Everybody involved in the sport and fans should be really happy about this. Craftsman is a big name and their association with DLM racing should help bringing some additional attention to the sport and expose it to people that aren't already fans.

I really think this is a positive thing for the future of the sport and as an indicator of the health of the sport overall.

NormP
02-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Valvoline

Valvoline was with Francis way before he ever went to Lucas Oil, so I don't think we can give the credit to them for bringing Valvoline to the sport. Their parent company was founded and has a huge presence in Francis' hometown.

huskerdirt
02-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Valvoline was with Francis way before he ever went to Lucas Oil, so I don't think we can give the credit to them for bringing Valvoline to the sport. Their parent company was founded and has a huge presence in Francis' hometown.

The question wasn't what sponsors Lucas brought into the sport. The question was what sponsors benefit from the TV coverage besides Lucas.

I'm well aware that Valvoline was on Steves cars before Lucas. In fact I wasn't even referring to Steve as he didn't have them on the car last year. I was referring to Shepperd.

Crossbones
02-02-2016, 10:25 PM
I didn't read anything about them increasing purses or point funds for either series. I suspect the WoO took a lot less money than they have been demanding for title sponsorship from the beginning.

GRT62
02-02-2016, 10:51 PM
Woo had the world finals live for several years but WRG decided they would pad their pockets with that money instead if giving the guys that support them weekly some exposure. I guess after their poster boy couldn't cut it in NASCAR land they felt as if no one else deserved the coverage. There is a reason why the top guys run Lucas. And tv exposure is one of the factors regardless of who pays for it to be on tv. And I believe the Show me 100 was on network television CBS to be exact.

old fan
02-02-2016, 10:55 PM
woo was on cbs also and the world finals on the net was better than anything on tv

NormP
02-03-2016, 04:46 AM
The question wasn't what sponsors Lucas brought into the sport. The question was what sponsors benefit from the TV coverage besides Lucas.

The question from ClampedUp was "what other "big" sponsors has LOLMS TV exposure brought to the other teams??" which to me sounds like asking what sponsors Lucas brought into the sport.

Highside Hustler25
02-03-2016, 06:14 AM

I'm well aware that Valvoline was on Steves cars before Lucas. In fact I wasn't even referring to Steve as he didn't have them on the car last year. I was referring to Shepperd.

correct me if I'm wrong but didn't BShep and Richards have the Valvoline sponsorship with WoO a couple years ago?

Highside Hustler25
02-03-2016, 06:26 AM

Not according to the article DoD released.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-03-2016, 08:15 AM
Not according to the article DoD released.

It can be spun any way you want. I hate to admit it, but Sprint Cars are a much bigger deal. Always have been.

Josh Bayko
02-03-2016, 08:31 AM
I didn't read anything about them increasing purses or point funds for either series. I suspect the WoO took a lot less money than they have been demanding for title sponsorship from the beginning.

Getting a new sponsor would have nothing to do with race purses. Sanctions don't pay the purses, the tracks do.

And last I checked, the WoO already had the best point funds in the sport, by a rather wide margin.

W2Racing09
02-03-2016, 09:31 AM
One of the biggest measuring factors sponsors use to determine the immediate impact of their sponsorship dollars is the buzz on social media. They likely hope that the partnership with WoO translates into increased sales but that is not something we as fans will be able to show for a long time. Whether you are a fan of the Lucas Series or the WoO (Or are like me, and see no reason why we should have to pick either or as both are good for the sport) you should take some time to both support and thank Craftsman.

Some of the other posts on their facebook page have thousands of likes, but the post about the WoO has just 60 or so. If you have facebook please take the time to like, and share this post and even comment and thank them if you have the time. This isn't just them supporting the WoO, it is them making an investment in dirt racing that will benefit everyone including the drivers on the Lucas series.

https://www.facebook.com/craftsman/videos/10153189085011213/?pnref=story

Thanks,
Jeff.

zyoung25
02-03-2016, 09:38 AM
correct me if I'm wrong but didn't BShep and Richards have the Valvoline sponsorship with WoO a couple years ago?

You're right. Richards picked up the big V when Francis went to Bowyer in 2013. That's when Shep was a co-house car and wore the most of the same sponsors as Josh. Valvoline was one of them, it was just spelled out on quarter.

BadlandsBandit12
02-03-2016, 09:20 PM
Glad they are on board. I really like craftsmen tools, all I ever own for tools. My 29 inch snowblower is still working like a champ after 14 years and we just came off a huge snowstorm. They have nice toolboxes too and own 2 nice size ones.

oldfart50
02-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Georgia Boot Peak Valvoline Crop Production Mark Martin Automotive Whether you agree with TV exposure adding to the sport or not. All the drivers that have run the series say TV exposure is one of the reasons why they choose to follow the series. Just because you don't have MavTV doesn't mean you can't see the TV races. I don't have that channel and I'm still able to watch most if not all the TV races. NBC sports, and CBS sports have those races on. Georgia Boot- Basically a personal service deal for Boyer to max out what they pay him. Peak-Basically a personal service deal for Boyer to max out what they pay him. Valvoline- Has never been a very big sponsor, mainly product Crop Production- Real sponsor Mark Martin Automotive- Owned by Landers Dad using Mark as a face for dealerships

huskerdirt
02-03-2016, 10:32 PM
Georgia Boot- Basically a personal service deal for Boyer to max out what they pay him. Peak-Basically a personal service deal for Boyer to max out what they pay him. Valvoline- Has never been a very big sponsor, mainly product Crop Production- Real sponsor Mark Martin Automotive- Owned by Landers Dad using Mark as a face for dealerships

Landers dad doesn't own the Mark Martin dealerships.

I guess Valvoline being all over Bshepps car last meant they wasn't a very big sponsor. Lol.

And why are Bowyer cars running Lucas series?? If you had an idea how much money Georgia Boot and Peal are putting into the Bowyer program. It extends well beyond a personal services agreement.

Stop twisting what the question that was asked. It asked what sponsors are getting additional exposure for the Tv deal besides Lucas products. All I did was name them.