PDA

View Full Version : Less hub weight vs angular bearings

TGoulet1113
02-03-2016, 10:00 AM
I felt that the Wilwood 55xd hubs with my REM polished roller bearings would be about the best hubs I could use. (The bare hub is 7 lbs. (My hub complete with the SAS scalloped rotor weighs 15 lbs total.)The Winters 007 hub that I'm looking at is a whole 2 lbs heavier lbs) when I called Winters he said the extra 2 lbs will not matter because with the angular bearings it is still better.People say you can feel the difference simply pushing a car with angular bearings. Well, on the track I'm not "pushing" the car. The car is under power. I feel the car has to work harder to turn 2 extra pounds more than it has to work to overcome difference of roller bearings vs angular bearings.Thoughts?

TGoulet1113
02-03-2016, 10:27 AM
The guy at Winters was explaining to me that the bearing seat on open hubs (like my wilwood 55xd) can't support the angular contact bearing. He said the lateral forces with angular contact bearings cause the seat to blow out. That's why they use solid closed tube hubs with angular contact bearings.

lindsey97
02-04-2016, 02:44 PM
I swapped over to the 007 hubs, but I bought the magnesium hubs with the angular contact. And yes, anywhere there is a slope the car will roll away if not scotched. PPM Racing products has some bearings that are supposed to be as free an angular contact bearing. There is a company out there that can take standard wide five hubs and insert a sleeve to retro fit to an angular contact, it is cheaper than buying the new hubs. But I cannot remember the name of the company, I'm sure Google can tell anyone interested.

mod88s
02-04-2016, 07:34 PM
I just put the ball bearing type wheel bearings in my wide 5 hubs, magnesium on front, aluminum on back. Is this going to be a problem? Both fronts and rears have bearing spacers