PDA

View Full Version : Woo new announcer

hustler t4
02-12-2016, 08:17 PM
What the story on this cat, where he come from? thanks

old84
02-12-2016, 08:26 PM
he is originally from michigan and has announced alot of asphalt races over the last 20+ years. mainly been doing cra asphalt late models the last 6 or 8 years. very knowledgeable and usually does a good job. known him and his family my entire life. do you like him so far?

hustler t4
02-12-2016, 08:30 PM
yes, thanks

SprintFun
02-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Not sure if it was him or just the dirtvision broadcast, but it seems like he was yelling during the entire feature.

SnakeX3
02-12-2016, 10:31 PM
The Dirt Vision 'cast was not the best quality. I suspect he sounds better/doesn't yell normally. The one thing that Essex and Shelton do that most announcers don't is they attempt to give the chassis and engine for each car during hot laps and qualifying. The new guy didn't do that tonight, so I was disappointed.

Matt49
02-13-2016, 12:28 AM
The Dirt Vision 'cast was not the best quality. I suspect he sounds better/doesn't yell normally. The one thing that Essex and Shelton do that most announcers don't is they attempt to give the chassis and engine for each car during hot laps and qualifying. The new guy didn't do that tonight, so I was disappointed.

This is the beauty of a guy like Essex. For those that don't know, he started his announcing and promoting career at Brownstown Speedway in Indiana. When Lucas is off, he still comes back to Brownstown and does some weekly shows. He walks the pits before the races and gets information on chassis, engine, sponsors, etc. from EVERY driver. He does his best to get to know all of the guys and everybody appreciates it.
Fans love it and can really tell the difference when the announcer knows his stuff.

SnakeX3
02-13-2016, 12:38 AM
This is the beauty of a guy like Essex. For those that don't know, he started his announcing and promoting career at Brownstown Speedway in Indiana. When Lucas is off, he still comes back to Brownstown and does some weekly shows. He walks the pits before the races and gets information on chassis, engine, sponsors, etc. from EVERY driver. He does his best to get to know all of the guys and everybody appreciates it.
Fans love it and can really tell the difference when the announcer knows his stuff.

No question he knows his stuff. IMO, after Shelton worked with Essex at Eldora I thought he really upped his game a notch stylistically.

I often wondered if Essex ever worked as an auctioneer or did horse racing. He is able to speak so quickly and his style really reminds me of a horse racing announcer. He'll be calling a battle for the lead spot, "Bloomquist and Owens are side by side and here comes Superman on the outside". You get the idea.

TheJet-09
02-13-2016, 12:47 AM
^^^ James was also an integral part of the old Northern Allstars series as well...at least in its early days. A great guy. He has probably forgotten more about racing than I'll ever know. I hadn't seen him for well over 10 years and when the LOLMDS came to town a couple of years ago you'd think we had just talked the week before.

old fan
02-13-2016, 07:18 AM
This is the beauty of a guy like Essex. For those that don't know, he started his announcing and promoting career at Brownstown Speedway in Indiana. When Lucas is off, he still comes back to Brownstown and does some weekly shows. He walks the pits before the races and gets information on chassis, engine, sponsors, etc. from EVERY driver. He does his best to get to know all of the guys and everybody appreciates it. Fans love it and can really tell the difference when the announcer knows his stuff.and Brownstown has not been the same since

rcndrt
02-13-2016, 07:21 AM
He also announces the Soo 500 snowmobile race! It usually lasts between 8 and 10 hour and he does a great job at that.

old fan
02-13-2016, 09:01 AM
This is the beauty of a guy like Essex. For those that don't know, he started his announcing and promoting career at Brownstown Speedway in Indiana. When Lucas is off, he still comes back to Brownstown and does some weekly shows. He walks the pits before the races and gets information on chassis, engine, sponsors, etc. from EVERY driver. He does his best to get to know all of the guys and everybody appreciates it. Fans love it and can really tell the difference when the announcer knows his stuff.looks like a 3 am shift change at waffle house gotta love it

smith19
02-13-2016, 02:45 PM
there's nobody that will ever come close to the knowledge of Essex. the guy started out announcing a boat load of hall of famer's at b-town.

SnakeX3
02-13-2016, 03:00 PM
On the DoD highlights the new guy sounded much better than he did on Dirt Vision. I'm sure he will get better with time.

I was impressed with Stepan's call of the race with Essex on the DoD highlights. He managed to keep that same level of excitement. Hope to hear him call more races.

Matt49
02-13-2016, 03:01 PM
He should really consider writing a book. As mentioned, he has intimate knowledge of the deep history of late model racing in Indiana and he has been on the national scene for a very long time now. I've talked to a lot of the older racers in our area about him and the conclusion is that the reason he has been so successful is because he cares. He's no fly-by-night guy looking to make a buck. He really connects with the racers and the fans.
How he is not in the DLM HoF is a complete mystery to me.

SnakeX3
02-13-2016, 04:21 PM
I agree, Matt. I was thinking both things...he should write a book and he should be in the HOF. I'm sure he is Hall bound eventually. The book would be great.

old fan
02-13-2016, 04:47 PM
but tell him to not take the Mike in the John with him , yes he did that a couple years go

Crossbones
02-13-2016, 09:28 PM
Best announcer I've ever heard was the announcer at (I believe) River Cities Speedway in North Dakota, but I don't know his name.

ChrisNunn
02-14-2016, 03:50 PM
Was an absolute honor to induct James into the Brownstown hall of fame. He definitely needs to be in the NDLMHOF sooner than later.

JMDraceHD98
02-16-2016, 09:05 AM
The guy has a ton of heart for what he does. One thing that was awesome was at Knoxville, he was getting choked up well interviewing Birky saying he can't retire now.

CGF
02-16-2016, 04:45 PM
He does fine . He gets excited much like us fans.

davis2902
02-16-2016, 06:46 PM
The new announcer needs to stop saying the car number every time he says someones name. It just annoys me.

Mud Packer
02-17-2016, 04:29 PM
I've had the opportunity to listen to him over the last 4-5 years. He is constantly yelling to try to make the action more exciting than it is. Just allow the action to happen and report on it. Most fans are knowledgeable enough to pick up if the race is good or bad. In my opinion he is terribly annoying to listen to and he thinks he is way better than he is. He is a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)y and an obnoxious gas bag. Pity the poor folks who have to listen to him.