PDA

View Full Version : Woo and Lucas

TUTY
02-14-2016, 06:46 AM
So Richards wins 4 of 6 races against the Lucas guys and finishes 2nd and 7th against the WOO guys. Is it possible the young guns are faster than the old BIG names? I think this could be right early on this season.

old fan
02-14-2016, 06:52 AM
then Ziegler and Eckert win last night

TUTY
02-14-2016, 07:33 AM
Agree. I no everyone likes big names but I really like seeing new blood do well. There's a lot of money out there but if you finish 5th - 10th every night it just doesn't pay the bills. I think WOO will be very interesting this year with acouple BIG names which leaves a lot of money for up and comers.

W2Racing09
02-14-2016, 07:36 AM
I think we are already seeing the consequences of drivers like Lanigan, McCreadie, etc joining an already stacked Lucas field. Drivers are evaluating it and saying there isn't any room for them to run well on the Lucas series. They are a lot more likely to be able to get a good run on the WoO. 46 cars at Screven for $8k and $10k vs. 35 cars at Eastbay for $10k and $12k.

It will be interesting to see the counts for tonight and next week as well.

Thanks,
Jeff.

TUTY
02-14-2016, 07:39 AM
Agree, this may hurt Lucas car counts all year but I hope not. If my money is out there I'm running WOO.

W2Racing09
02-14-2016, 07:43 AM
So Richards wins 4 of 6 races against the Lucas guys and finishes 2nd and 7th against the WOO guys. Is it possible the young guns are faster than the old BIG names? I think this could be right early on this season.

I don't think that is the case, Richards said they adjusted the car in the wrong direction and were awful in TT. They did nothing but move forward after that. Not to mention those young guns you are talking about that finished ahead of Richards this past weekend were..

Clanton on Friday, and Eckert, Briggs, Covert, Heckenast, Roberts, and Moyer Jr.

I wouldn't call any of them young guns really (Maybe Heckenast and Moyer Jr. but don't know how old either of them are -- they are no Josh Rice, Devin Moran or Bobby Pierce, those are Young Guns IMO). As far as the WoO being tougher.. I doubt it. Were Richards at East Bay Ziegler and Bloomquist still would of been tough to beat. We will see next week at Volusia when everyone is together. If Eckert, Moyer Jr and Ferguson start rattling off the Ws then I might change my tune but at this point I think Richards was just on a good run early and is back to the grind now 7-8 races into Speedweeks for the team. a 2, and a 7 is much better than they left Screven with last year. Tied for the point lead with a car that is headed North rather than South to the next tour races.

Thanks,
Jeff.

Senroc-Systems
02-14-2016, 07:52 AM
I think LOLMDS having a big majority of the Crown Jewels is the big attraction . It's all about having those provisionals.

TUTY
02-14-2016, 07:56 AM
Oh, I'm not saying tougher. I'm just saying these guys will probably be inconsistent but fast at different times also. Just means if there good that night they can win or finish top 3 much easier. If ONeil finishes 5th every night, I don't think there team will be happy.

TUTY
02-14-2016, 08:05 AM
One thing for you older guys like me. I think it was 1988 or 89 all the BIG name WOO Sprint drivers started the USA Sprint Car Series. I walked out my front door on a Saturday late afternoon with 3 others wondering where to go. Husets Speedway west 50 miles for the BIG name USA series or 30 miles east to Jackson Speedway for WOO series that list the BIG names. Well we went to Jackson and there were 86 410 Sprints in the pits. After time trials and 2 heats they announced at (9:15 ish) the winner at Husets and that they had 13 cars. This can happen.

TUTY
02-14-2016, 08:21 AM
1989 it was. Bobby Davis Jr. Casey Luna Ford was the Champion. This broke Steve Kinsers Championship streak.

BTExpress
02-14-2016, 09:09 AM
Unfortunately, the reality of today's national series is that it it geared for no more than 10 to 12 full time teams to run each series. As we speak, there appears to be 15 or so teams in each series who have expressed their attentions to run the entire year with both the WoO and LOLMS. That is approximately 30 teams running nationally. I think you will will see that number paired down by 10 or so by the end of April. I don't like it, I would love to see all the drivers succeed.... but economics will play a part..... I HOPE I am wrong.

TUTY
02-14-2016, 09:17 AM
Your right, all I'm saying is if there is a Lucas show and a WOO show the same day and 20 cars live 300 miles from each where are they going?

zach51
02-14-2016, 09:23 AM
Moyer JR is 28 I think, same age as me. He's in a more unique spot than other guys. A lot of these teams are funded from other family business, in Moyer's case, their racing IS their business. Sure, they have sponsors, but most are tied to Iowa and revolve around Karl Performance. Billy Jr has done several good interviews/podcasts and just flat out says the truth, he loves to race but needs to win money to keep going, so he goes where he has the best shot of getting a decent check. And winning ROTY with WOO would put an extra 10 grand (I think it was) in his pocket at the end of the year.

TUTY
02-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Your right. I no he's 28 but I still consider him a up and comer and has probably arrived now. If and I agree with you they need to win money, than let's talk the USA Nationals. Pay $30,000 to win, not $50,000 and take the $20,000 and spread it out. If you pull to Wisconsin and get $3000 to start then 26 cars at least pay for there expenses. That's baring not wrecking there car or blowing a engine. Look at the Show Me 100, they have added money finally but $1200 to start, really.

huskerdirt
02-14-2016, 09:34 AM
I think we are already seeing the consequences of drivers like Lanigan, McCreadie, etc joining an already stacked Lucas field. Drivers are evaluating it and saying there isn't any room for them to run well on the Lucas series. They are a lot more likely to be able to get a good run on the WoO. 46 cars at Screven for $8k and $10k vs. 35 cars at Eastbay for $10k and $12k.

It will be interesting to see the counts for tonight and next week as well.

Thanks,
Jeff.

As far as having full rosters for the season... Absolutely. But I don't think it had that much affect on car counts for Eastbay. There were 45 cars at Golden Isles and there wasn't a peep on here about it. Eastbay in recent years has always counts in the 35-45 range.

IMO.... What made Screven car count go up was the fact it wasn't up against Golden Isles and it flows right into Volusia. A lot of the "other" guys that were at Screven plan on rolling on to Volusia. I give props to WoO making the schedule easier.

BTExpress
02-14-2016, 09:37 AM
Unfortunately the DOLLY PARTON purses sell the sizzle. I agree, take some of the top heavy purses and spread it down through the field and you would see more drivers run full time nationally. Several tracks like Eldora, Lucas Oil and Lernerville seem to be doing this in 2016.

TUTY
02-14-2016, 09:43 AM
That's great, if you win $30,000 or $50,000 your happy. The upside is many other drivers are somewhat happy and can keep rolling.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Your right, all I'm saying is if there is a Lucas show and a WOO show the same day and 20 cars live 300 miles from each where are they going?

Which ever series has the most friendly rules for the locals will get the cars. It isn't like the locals are figuring to win.

zach51
02-14-2016, 11:02 AM
It's definitely important to attract locals to a big event though. Locals bring back gate and grandstand money. If you had a day job at a factory lets say, you'd be telling all your buddies that you were going to run against scott bloomquist this weekend and whether they come to the track to see you do well or see you do bad, they bring in some folks. If you can make the starting money enough to appeal to a local guy who figures "Heck there will only be 30 cars, if I can beat 6 of em and get into the feature and get $800-$1000 starting money, that's more than winning a weekly feature, and if there is an early caution I can just pull in and watch the rest of the race" lol

old fan
02-14-2016, 11:35 AM
I think LOLMDS having a big majority of the Crown Jewels is the big attraction . It's all about having those provisionals.but UMP has the 2 granddaddies every year no provisionals

Barbecueboy
02-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Would be cool to see a big money race during speed weeks.....crown jewel ish.

Nascrap comes out of the gate with a big one.......series gravitating in that direction.....why not???

Everybody chomping at the bit to race....nice shiny cars.....big money on the line.....what could possibly go wrong??

jlacey
02-14-2016, 03:17 PM
If all the drivers that are thinking about running for WOO ROY stay on the tour the ROY race could end up being more exciting than the race for the championship. They all looked strong at some point regardless of making the show or not

KAOS
02-14-2016, 09:15 PM
BBQ, The trick is being like NASCRAP without becoming NASCRAP

Josh Bayko
02-14-2016, 10:19 PM
Which ever series has the most friendly rules for the locals will get the cars. It isn't like the locals are figuring to win.

The WoO generally has more racer friendly tire rules for their events. If the WoO and Lucas are close to each other, I think you'll always see more locals/regionals at the WoO event.