PDA

View Full Version : O/T East Bay Question??

pap
02-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Help me out guys and gals, What the heck is that mountain off the back straight?? My first time there, I had seen the mountain in video's before but the don't do justice to how big that thing is.

dalemcfan
02-15-2016, 12:57 PM
It's a landfill, trash dump.

luke81
02-15-2016, 01:23 PM
No it's not. It's a mine. Phosphate I believe.

Barbecueboy
02-15-2016, 01:34 PM
No it's not. It's a mine. Phosphate I believe.

This^^^^^^^^^^^

pap
02-15-2016, 02:12 PM
Wow....Thanks guys. My first thought was a landfill, but I'm glad I ask the question. Explains all the old drag line buckets I seen traveling up 41. Again appreciate it!!! And for what it's worth, I seen alot of talk about 1 lane track on here when I got home. While it wasn't top to bottom racing, the racing was pretty dang good in my opinion. I will go back in the future!!

WisWildManFan
02-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Track looked better than most years this year... maybe lack of rain and two a day races helps.

GEAR_HEAD
02-15-2016, 08:19 PM
It's a landfill, trash dump.

Where did you get that info? It's obviously not a landfill.

Bill31
02-15-2016, 10:53 PM
Pretty sure its a gypsum(sp?) mine. Look at it from google earth it has a huge pond on the inside of the four sided hill.

tb1545
02-15-2016, 11:53 PM
Tide of the bay really has much to do with the track conditions than anything else at eastbay. Really strange Sandy, seashell, clay track surface. From the port area around, to the mine on the backside, to the junk yard next to it, it truly is an interesting place. Really cracked me up with all the worry about track curfew in that area. Apparently they don't like being bad neighbors to the traveling circus folk that live to the south during the winter.

pap
02-16-2016, 01:05 AM
tb1545, I screwed up my first day and depended on my phone for directions to the track. It sent me down the road before the race track, (coming from the south), straight into a huge trailer park. Very unique people in there to say the least. As soon as I turned in, police cars, probably 20 people standing around, crime scene tape, and part of a mobile home destroyed. Don't know what happened, but couldn't get out of there fast enough....lol

luke81
02-17-2016, 10:26 AM
The curfew is no BS, they're serious about it. While it seems to be in the middle of nothing there are just enough people around that complained to just the right people to get it imposed. When you leave the track if you go to the right north up rt41 to the first light and make a right you'll run right into one of the largest housing projects in the entire Tampa area. Apparently the noise of race cars interrupts their drug deals and drive-bys.

WisWildManFan
02-17-2016, 11:59 AM
The curfew is no BS, they're serious about it. While it seems to be in the middle of nothing there are just enough people around that complained to just the right people to get it imposed. When you leave the track if you go to the right north up rt41 to the first light and make a right you'll run right into one of the largest housing projects in the entire Tampa area. Apparently the noise of race cars interrupts their drug deals and drive-bys. What is the nick name for those projects, drove back and fourth thru it 4 times last year. gf has family that live in area and they had some name for it.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
02-17-2016, 12:14 PM
Thats a Lm grave yard for all the drivers that dumped there old chassis for longhorns! Fl was the only state that would take them.

THEY CALL IT DAVENPORT MOUNTAIN!

Barbecueboy
02-17-2016, 12:21 PM
What is the nick name for those projects, drove back and fourth thru it 4 times last year. gf has family that live in area and they had some name for it.

Isn't that the famed temple terrace district your talking about?

WisWildManFan
02-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Isn't that the famed temple terrace district your talking about?Yea temple terrace... That was it BBQ. Was pretty sketchy driving through after the races lol

Barbecueboy
02-17-2016, 01:11 PM
I would avoid that place running from a tidal wave...........glad you made it out alive.

luke81
02-17-2016, 01:44 PM
No it's not, LOL......Temple Terrace is a 20 minute drive from the track AT LEAST. Temple Terrace is north of downtown Tampa. And if you think Temple Terrace is all that scary you must live in Candyland. Progress Village is the name of the projects near the track.

Barbecueboy
02-17-2016, 02:59 PM
Progress village is the name of that joint??????

How ironic they pick that for a name?

Clayton_Wetter
02-17-2016, 03:17 PM
Thats a Lm grave yard for all the drivers that dumped there old chassis for longhorns! Fl was the only state that would take them.

THEY CALL IT DAVENPORT MOUNTAIN!

Really? Now aren't you getting a little carried away with your obsession?

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
02-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Really? Now aren't you getting a little carried away with your obsession?

May b so but I do it to attract you comments! You seem to comment on them as you have a obsession also. Ha ha.

WisWildManFan
02-17-2016, 04:15 PM
No it's not, LOL......Temple Terrace is a 20 minute drive from the track AT LEAST. Temple Terrace is north of downtown Tampa. And if you think Temple Terrace is all that scary you must live in Candyland. Progress Village is the name of the projects near the track.I stand corrected progress village sounds right... I think I've heard ab temple terrace on this board maybe.

MUD MAESTRO
02-17-2016, 05:15 PM
Really cracked me up with all the worry about track curfew in that area. Apparently they don't like being bad neighbors to the traveling circus folk that live to the south during the winter.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, The bearded lady gets rather surly when she doesn't get her sleep.lol

Clayton_Wetter
02-17-2016, 05:19 PM
May b so but I do it to attract you comments! You seem to comment on them as you have a obsession also. Ha ha.

You got me there!! I admit it. I'm obsessed with pointing out stupid posts!! Just can't help it, I guess!!!

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
02-17-2016, 05:51 PM
You got me there!! I admit it. I'm obsessed with pointing out stupid posts!! Just can't help it, I guess!!!

Its all good see dubya !! Lol. Just habin pun

pap
02-17-2016, 06:30 PM
No it's not, LOL......Temple Terrace is a 20 minute drive from the track AT LEAST. Temple Terrace is north of downtown Tampa. And if you think Temple Terrace is all that scary you must live in Candyland. Progress Village is the name of the projects near the track.

Your right Luke, I actually tried to get a room on Temple Terrace, nothing wrong "it seemed" with that area. I finally found a room on Wesley Chapel. Then they jacked the room rate up Friday, when I ask why, they told me rooms are at a premium, Trump is at the college giving a speech. I will have reservations on my next trip to speedweeks.

Barbecueboy
02-17-2016, 07:32 PM
Really cracked me up with all the worry about track curfew in that area. Apparently they don't like being bad neighbors to the traveling circus folk that live to the south during the winter.

Yeah, The bearded lady gets rather surly when she doesn't get her sleep.lol[/QUOTE]

I stay at the track.......it's safer.

luke81
02-18-2016, 01:47 PM
Wesley Chapel??? Geez man that's even farther away than Temple Terrace. For better room deals in the future look south and east of the track. Even down into Sun City there are decent places that are usually cheap.

pap
02-18-2016, 03:52 PM
Tell me about it, took almost an hour to get to the track. My original plan was to catch 4 different tracks, Screven on Friday, East Bay on Saturday, Bubba's on Sunday then Volusia on Monday. Worked screwed me over and I only got to see the Thursday, Friday shows, then came home to work Sunday. I will, without a doubt, plan better next year....lol