PDA

View Full Version : Speedweeks Stats By Chassis

SnakeX3
02-15-2016, 03:37 PM
For what it's worth, I compiled a quick unofficial list of stats for Speedweeks by Chassis.

Feature Wins/Podiums/Top 5/Top 10/Lead Lap Finishes/Heat Wins
Longhorn - 6 - 13 - 17 - 34 - 42 - 14
Rocket - 4 - 12 - 18 - 29 - 42 - 12
Bloomquist - 1 - 6 - 9 - 16 - 21 - 9
Capital - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 8 - 3
Black Diamond 0 - 3 - 10 - 25 - 46 - 3
Barry Wright 0 - 1 - 2 - 7 - 13 - 1
Victory - 0 - 0 - 1 - 3 - 5 - 3
Swartz - 0 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 5 - 2
Pierce - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 4 - 0

Barbecueboy
02-15-2016, 03:50 PM
Would be cool to see the stats on how many of each chassis brand were at each show and then plug in the percentages..........

If I were to guess I would say that rocket had the most cars in Florida/Georgia speed weeks ....then club 29....then longhorn and then the rest.

Would be interesting to drill down into those numbers a little.

SnakeX3
02-15-2016, 04:39 PM
I can do it and actually wrote the queries to do so, but I didn't have time to post up to a web page and it would come out looking like crap is I pasted the text in. I will try to post up some additional stats/details soon though.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-15-2016, 04:43 PM
Was Rayburn undefeated during Speedweeks?

pink floyd
02-15-2016, 05:22 PM
thanks snake, I love stats.

MI Dirt Fan
02-15-2016, 05:26 PM
Ofcourse there are more Rockets. I bet 80-85% of the chassis at your local tracks are rockets.

Barbecueboy
02-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Ofcourse there are more Rockets. I bet 80-85% of the chassis at your local tracks are rockets.

I realize that, was just trying to get a gauge on just how much better percentage wise the non rockets performed as a whole.

If x percent were Longhorns.......x percent were black diamonds , X percent were others and a majority of the rest were rockets then if everything were equal the rockets should dominate the numbers.

I'm a stats guy too, love them.........especially when they bare out proof to settle a debate.

Wonder
02-15-2016, 06:29 PM
Numbers are cool........anyone got stats on the mods?

Barbecueboy
02-15-2016, 08:01 PM
the mods at volusia normally put on a show.......wish I was there.

Josh Bayko
02-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Would be cool to see the stats on how many of each chassis brand were at each show and then plug in the percentages..........

If I were to guess I would say that rocket had the most cars in Florida/Georgia speed weeks ....then club 29....then longhorn and then the rest.

Would be interesting to drill down into those numbers a little.

I bet it's more like Rocket, then Longhorn, then Black Diamond/Club 29. Seems like most southern locals are going to Longhorn.

SnakeX3
02-15-2016, 09:37 PM
Since there is some interest in these types of stats I'll see what I can do to put more together. The biggest issue I'll have starting with tonight's race at Volusia is accurately identifying some of the guys that have run Screven and Volusia. I have a sizeable database, but for chassis/engine info I get most of it from listening to the races. Essex and Shelton give that info on almost every car during practice and hot laps, but Matt Prieur does not so I don't have chassis/engine info on 25 drivers that have run Speedweeks.

This is the list. If anyone is certain what chassis/engine these guys are running in 2016, please post it and I'll update it. In the meantime I'll try to find the info myself. Thanks!

Full Name
Steve Casebolt
Chesley Dixon
Bob Gardner
Billy Ogle, Jr.
John Gardner, Jr.
Mike Hammerle
Tyler Bruening
Nick Davis
Jake Davis
Brent Dixon
Vic Coffey
Michael Norris
Stacy Boles
Reid Millard
Austin Rettig
Eric Wells
Jordy Nipper
Greg Oakes
Tim Lance
Charles LaPlant
Tristan Sealy
Austin Smith
Rusty Griffaw
Nick Kurtz

race4dad 31
02-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Casebolt=rocketPretty sure ogle Jr. is longhorn

SnakeX3
02-15-2016, 10:02 PM
For the stats I posted above for races through 2/14, it was based on 78 drivers and the chassis breakdown was...

Longhorn - 19
Rocket - 18
Black Diamond/Club 29 - 16
Bloomquist - 6
Capital - 4
Barry Wright - 4
Victory Circle - 3
MasterSbilt - 2
Warrior - 1
Pierce Platinum - 1
MB Customs - 1
Swartz - 1
Kryptonite - 1

SnakeX3
02-15-2016, 10:03 PM
Casebolt=rocketPretty sure ogle Jr. is longhorn

Thanks! :)

jlacey
02-15-2016, 10:03 PM
Austin Smith= Capital

jlacey
02-15-2016, 10:04 PM
Would assume Lance is same as Feger since they were team cars.

plunks7
02-15-2016, 10:05 PM
Isn't anybody running the Victory in these stats.

Barbecueboy
02-15-2016, 10:11 PM
For the stats I posted above for races through 2/14, it was based on 78 drivers and the chassis breakdown was...

Longhorn - 19
Rocket - 18
Bloomquist - 6
Capital - 4
Barry Wright - 4
Victory Circle - 3
MasterSbilt - 2
Warrior - 1
Pierce Platinum - 1
MB Customs - 1
Swartz - 1
Kryptonite - 1

Wow........that's interesting.

AnonymousNate
02-15-2016, 10:13 PM
Bob Gardner Rocket

AnonymousNate
02-15-2016, 10:16 PM
thought casebolt was in one of them Club29 cars...

jlacey
02-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Vic Coffey is running Colbey Frye's back up if that helps any. Wells is running Sweet/Bloomquist

plunks7
02-15-2016, 10:17 PM
Tyler Bruening---- Capitol

Josh Bayko
02-15-2016, 10:21 PM

Sold it and got into a Rocket last year.

Also, Michael Norris runs Rockets. Not sure about the engines.

jlacey
02-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Jordy Nipper = MasterSbilt

SnakeX3
02-15-2016, 10:56 PM
Thanks so much for the info guys.

@Plunks7 - I had three drivers in the Victory cars, Moyer Jr, Breazeale and Overton.

SnakeX3
02-16-2016, 12:00 AM
Here are the chassis stats through 2/15. The 17 drivers I don't have a chassis for are combined as "Other". Black Diamond includes Club 29s.

http://snakenet.com/Speedweeks%20Chassis%20Stats.jpg

BTExpress
02-16-2016, 12:52 AM
Frye runs Rocket's ( he is a Rocket dealer ) so Coffey = Rocket. I believe Moyer's cars are now called Victory Chassis, not to be confused with Victory Circle Chassis which are built in California if that helps.

FlatTire
02-16-2016, 08:48 AM
Thanks for putting that spreadsheet together. I did a similar one last year and Black Diamond was the dominant car. This year looks to be Longhorn.

SnakeX3
02-16-2016, 10:52 AM
The really interesting thing is if you take Josh and JD out of the equation, they all look about equal. The Bloomquist and Capital chassis would still have higher averages because their top drivers are a larger percentage of the total, but Longhorn, Rocket and Black Diamond would all be about even in every other category.

W2Racing09
02-16-2016, 12:14 PM

I read a DoD article where they purchased an XR1 this off season.

SnakeX3
02-16-2016, 02:05 PM
I read a DoD article where they purchased an XR1 this off season.

Yeah. That's what I heard...and like Josh pointed out a few posts back, he switched from Black Diamond to Rocket last year, so it makes sense. I just don't update my list until I see/hear/read something that is almost for sure, so I still hadn't updated him. I don't recall the DoD article you are referring to, but for the purpose of my own unofficial stats that's good enough for me. :)

plunks7
02-16-2016, 02:12 PM

Longhorn - 19
Rocket - 18
Bloomquist - 6
Capital - 4
Barry Wright - 4
Victory Circle - 3
MasterSbilt - 2
Warrior - 1
Pierce Platinum - 1
MB Customs - 1
Swartz - 1
Kryptonite - 1

All of them = Rayburn

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-16-2016, 02:44 PM
Yeah. That's what I heard...and like Josh pointed out a few posts back, he switched from Black Diamond to Rocket last year, so it makes sense. I just don't update my list until I see/hear/read something that is almost for sure, so I still hadn't updated him. I don't recall the DoD article you are referring to, but for the purpose of my own unofficial stats that's good enough for me. :)

I saw his Rocket last year in the shop and on the track.

SnakeX3
02-16-2016, 04:01 PM
I saw his Rocket last year in the shop and on the track.

I did as well. I'm pretty sure he ran the Rocket at the World. I figure he must have purchased a new XR1 and either sold the old one or is using it for a back-up or maybe even as a dumpster. LOL

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-16-2016, 04:43 PM
I did as well. I'm pretty sure he ran the Rocket at the World. I figure he must have purchased a new XR1 and either sold the old one or is using it for a back-up or maybe even as a dumpster. LOL

It looked like he might want to get the dumpster back out. His XR-1 seemed to be missing the "good stuff".

dirtMAN007
02-16-2016, 04:50 PM
it looked like he might want to get the dumpster back out. His xr-1 seemed to be missing the "good stuff".

the good stuff is what is behind the wheel and the wrenches !!!!!!!!

jlacey
02-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Casebolt has a Rocket decal on the top side of his spoiler

jlacey
02-16-2016, 04:55 PM
Tristian Sealy= Capital.
Gonna try to get a few more of these guys for you tonight. Alot dont have a visible chassis decal and the announcer is no help

jlacey
02-16-2016, 04:57 PM
Nick Kurtz= BWRC

jlacey
02-16-2016, 05:20 PM
Boles= Longhorn
Announcer is actually giving out a lil more info tonight

jlacey
02-16-2016, 05:36 PM
Hammerle= Rayburn

jlacey
02-16-2016, 10:51 PM
Charles LaPlant= Pierce

tiger
02-16-2016, 11:08 PM
Here are the chassis stats through 2/15. The 17 drivers I don't have a chassis for are combined as "Other". Black Diamond includes Club 29s.

http://snakenet.com/Speedweeks%20Chassis%20Stats.jpg

Awesome, Awesome info....

Amazed that Black Diamond, while having similar entries, starts, and Laps as Longhorn and Rocket, they have ZERO laps led.

SuperEight
02-17-2016, 06:00 AM
Did you include Brandon Overton in your stats from Screven?
Victory by Moyer with Clements Power.

old fan
02-17-2016, 06:06 AM
Was Rayburn undefeated during Speedweeks?so was MasterSbilt lol

HatTrick
02-17-2016, 01:02 PM
Ofcourse there are more Rockets. I bet 80-85% of the chassis at your local tracks are rockets.Not quite. I would say Rocket has 30% of the market around here, and it stays that way consistently. Mastersbilt's are the hot item around here right now. BWRC's were up there a few years back but are not falling off. The top sellers depend a lot on who's doing good and in what, but rocket stays consistent with about 30% of the cars. Racing is a lot of monkey see; monkey do horse crap.Edit:I just went through and did the actual math for a popular local DLM track. Out of 32 cars here are the numbers.MastersBilt: 31%Rocket: 28%BWRC: 22%Pierce: 16%Victory Circle: 3%Out of the top 10 cars, here are the numbers. Mastersbilt: 40%Rocket: 30%Pierce: 20%BWRC: 10%

jlacey
02-17-2016, 04:33 PM
Austin Rettig= Victory

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-17-2016, 05:00 PM
so was MasterSbilt lol

Good, I play with both.

jlacey
02-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Michael Norris =Rocket

Senroc-Systems
02-17-2016, 08:55 PM
Jason Feger is in a Black Diamond
Tim Lance is in Jason's old green chassis Pierce

FlatTire
02-18-2016, 08:07 AM
Is sanders still in a club29?

Josh Bayko
02-18-2016, 08:13 AM
Is sanders still in a club29?

No. It's an MB Customs car.

BTExpress
02-18-2016, 09:07 AM
I am still amazed on how serious DLM fans follow the chassis wars. Some fans root just as hard for....or against, the chassis manufacturers almost as much as the drivers. I don't think this is as evident in any form of dirt track racing as it is in Dirt Late Models. It certainly does not get as much discussion in sprint cars, bb modifieds or even owm's. As a fairly new fan I have never seen anything like it. I now find myself seeing what chassis finished where when looking at the race results.

W2Racing09
02-18-2016, 09:30 AM
I am still amazed on how serious DLM fans follow the chassis wars. Some fans root just as hard for....or against, the chassis manufacturers almost as much as the drivers. I don't think this is as evident in any form of dirt track racing as it is in Dirt Late Models. It certainly does not get as much discussion in sprint cars, bb modifieds or even owm's. As a fairly new fan I have never seen anything like it. I now find myself seeing what chassis finished where when looking at the race results.

Yeah that is for sure. I always root for people driving Rockets (Satterlee, Sheppard, Richards, and Pettyjohn are all some of the regulars I root for). More importantly are the people I will root against. First and foremost, Darrel Lanigan... for obvious reasons. Next in line is Bloomquist (I have always not liked Bloomquist) but right after him comes the people who recently switched away from Rocket. I used to like T-Mac and now he is probably the person who I root against the most. Followed by Chub, and Briggs. I'm becoming less and less a fan of Davenport but its mostly because of his fans more than anything. He seems like a real nice guy and is a great driver. I guess being a fan of a particular chassis definitely helps determine what drivers you do or don't cheer for. Honestly I think it is one of the cool things about DLM racing. I could go to a random track on the other side of the country and I would have drivers to cheer for/against simply based on their chassis. It makes things a lot more interesting.

jlacey
02-18-2016, 09:53 AM
I dont care what they drive im a fan of drivers and teams. They could show up in a Bullit or a Swartz wedge for all i care.

Barbecueboy
02-18-2016, 10:00 AM
Really no different than rooting for ford or Chevy or Coke or Pepsi...........IMO, the dirt racing circle of fans are pretty educated on their sport, I think that's why you get more of an opinionated chatter about chassis, power plant etc.........most fans know and keep up.

Dlm racing is a very interactive sport from team to fan........it's almost like a relationship the fans have with their favorite teams or drivers and it's all perpetuated by the openness the drivers and teams have to allowing the fans access.

It's a sport like no other.........I'm happy to have latched onto it as my favorite style of racing way back when.

25rjr
02-18-2016, 10:03 AM
Anyone BUT a Longhorn!.....hopefully after this year, their horns will be cut off and will change their name to Gelding Racecars!

jlacey
02-18-2016, 10:06 AM
Definitely, and im not gonna root against a driver who isnt performing or getting any help from the builder and decides to switch.

W2Racing09
02-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Really no different than rooting for ford or Chevy or Coke or Pepsi...........IMO, the dirt racing circle of fans are pretty educated on their sport, I think that's why you get more of an opinionated chatter about chassis, power plant etc.........most fans know and keep up.

Dlm racing is a very interactive sport from team to fan........it's almost like a relationship the fans have with their favorite teams or drivers and it's all perpetuated by the openness the drivers and teams have to allowing the fans access.

It's a sport like no other.........I'm happy to have latched onto it as my favorite style of racing way back when.

Excellent post BBQ.

plunks7
02-18-2016, 11:53 AM
I dont care what they drive im a fan of drivers and teams. They could show up in a Bullit or a Swartz wedge for all i care.

I'm in total agreement with this post. For one thing, If there wasn't a Driver in any of these chassis they would go know where!!!! It's just simply crazy how people go off on what chassis their running. I could give a RATS ASS. I've never had a conversation with a chassis. But if I ever do, put me in a padded room with a Helmet on with a straight jacket. And someone else can wipe my ass.

jlacey
02-18-2016, 12:09 PM
Lol. I think ive said this before on here but I choose drivers to pull for based on how they drive and how they are with the fans. They fall into my 2 categories just as anyone else i meet in life, d!ck and not a d!ck. Never once has a chassis or motor fallen into either category for me

W2Racing09
02-18-2016, 12:11 PM
I'm in total agreement with this post. For one thing, If there wasn't a Driver in any of these chassis they would go know where!!!! It's just simply crazy how people go off on what chassis their running. I could give a RATS ASS. I've never had a conversation with a chassis. But if I ever do, put me in a padded room with a Helmet on with a straight jacket. And someone else can wipe my ass.

I don't think anybody is trying to sit a chassis down and have a conversation with it. I think people tend to have some level of respect for the person/company who builds it. Even more so when those people help or are involved with their favorite driver. If you like the people/company who build something, and their product does good then those people are benefited by that.

If you don't have a chassis company you don't have to, that is your preference. But many do and that is our preference. It is no different than liking the Carolina Panthers or any other sports team. The team itself is an inanimate object, its a bunch of jerseys. The players are what make it something, but for some reason as players leave or are traded you are still a fan of the team. Even if those players are traded to a rival team you still want to see the rival team do bad. The chassis business in Dirt racing is a team in my eyes. Team Longhorn, Team Rocket, Team Capital, etc. You want to see your favorite player (driver) do well, but if he does not win then you want to see someone from the team win.

Thanks,
Jeff.

jlacey
02-18-2016, 01:20 PM
I get what your sayin. Im just not gonna dislike a driver especially 1 thats struggling that decides to make a change

MODDAD
02-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Kind of new to late models, my question is why does there seem to be so much hatred toward Lanigan?

pink floyd
02-18-2016, 01:55 PM
Kind of new to late models, my question is why does there seem to be so much hatred toward Lanigan?

at the next lucas event, go to the pits and meet him. you will then know why.

W2Racing09
02-18-2016, 02:06 PM

This is accurate.

jlacey
02-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Ive never met Lanigan but when you see him he does give off that type of vibe

pink floyd
02-18-2016, 02:10 PM
Ive never met Lanigan but when you see him he does give off that type of vibe

mr. arrogance

mud duck
02-18-2016, 03:31 PM
Hey Jeff if you don't like Darrell? Why you so much a Rocket fan? Mark and him are pretty much alike.

Barbecueboy
02-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Hey Jeff if you don't like Darrell? Why you so much a Rocket fan? Mark and him are pretty much alike.

Mark has a solid reason to be.........lanigan, not so much.

Imo

plunks7
02-18-2016, 05:13 PM
mr. arrogance

Couldn't agree more!!! I stay as far away as possible.

zyoung25
02-18-2016, 06:35 PM
im not gonna root against a driver who isnt performing or getting any help from the builder and decides to switch.

I agree with this. It's down right stupid to m to root against someone for what type of car they drive, and anybody that does, doesnt know the sport very well imo. I like drivers that have good character while out of the car, and seem approachable, which is most of the guys in the pit area.

rickybrown1952
02-18-2016, 06:43 PM
Their is a race goin on right

W2Racing09
02-18-2016, 07:49 PM
I agree with this. It's down right stupid to m to root against someone for what type of car they drive, and anybody that does, doesnt know the sport very well imo. I like drivers that have good character while out of the car, and seem approachable, which is most of the guys in the pit area.

You are one of the last people on this forum who should be accusing anyone else of being stupid.

It takes a lot of different people and a lot of different ways of thinking to make the world go around. You should be happy as hell and appreciate every person who likes dirt racing no matter how they choose to like it or decide what drivers they do or do not like. If everyone liked the same people it would be a boring sport to follow.

Thanks,
Jeff.

zyoung25
02-18-2016, 08:35 PM
You are one of the last people on this forum who should be accusing anyone else of being stupid.

It takes a lot of different people and a lot of different ways of thinking to make the world go around. You should be happy as hell and appreciate every person who likes dirt racing no matter how they choose to like it or decide what drivers they do or do not like. If everyone liked the same people it would be a boring sport to follow.

Thanks,
Jeff.

This makes me laugh.....literary. What I said was my opinion, I don't care if you like it or not, it wasnt aimed at you, but if the shoe fits wear it. I've been around dit tracks since I was crawling, does that make me the smarest person about racing? No. I don't need info from some newbie who picks their favorites by what kind of chassis they drive. When you have been around this as long I have, and MOST of the other people on this board it would be easier to understand.

What I don't appreciate is someone who is always biased.

You find me a Jack Boggs fan that rooted against him, just because he switched chassis and I'll take back what I said. I have a hunch you won't find that person

Oh and

THANKS, ZAC.

W2Racing09
02-18-2016, 09:44 PM
This makes me laugh.....literary. What I said was my opinion, I don't care if you like it or not, it wasnt aimed at you, but if the shoe fits wear it. I've been around dit tracks since I was crawling, does that make me the smarest person about racing? No. I don't need info from some newbie who picks their favorites by what kind of chassis they drive. When you have been around this as long I have, and MOST of the other people on this board it would be easier to understand.

What I don't appreciate is someone who is always biased.

You find me a Jack Boggs fan that rooted against him, just because he switched chassis and I'll take back what I said. I have a hunch you won't find that person

Oh and

THANKS, ZAC.

It is your opinion that people who do something you don't agree with are stupid, and its my opinion to say that particular opinion is stupid. I don't think using a blanket statement to describe people who don't have the same reason's for liking or disliking a driver as you do is a very intelligent way of thinking. I respect the fact that you choose your drivers based on their personality. To me that isn't enough, every driver in the pit area (sans Bloomquist and Lanigan) seem like really nice guys. Do you like everyone? Do you cheer for every car on the track? I don't personally dislike anybody based on their decision to drive any different chassis. In reality I root against people who recently changed because I don't enjoy people saying "So and So switched from Rocket to Rayburn or whatever chassis and did this or that much better". Not that I need to explain my reasoning to you or anyone else.

Your whole post seems to have the tone of someone who does not recognize that most everyone on this board has been around racing for the vast majority of their life. I have home videos of me at the track when I was two, and I've hit 40-50 races every year since I had my license so I guess I know a little bit, but not as much as others I'm sure.

I didn't choose my favorite driver based on chassis, I chose my favorite driver based on his personality, my ability to relate (we are about the same age) and his driving style. I choose the remainder of the drivers I cheer for based on their association with my favorite driver.

zyoung25
02-19-2016, 02:45 AM
This will be my last post on this thread, cuz I've seen it before, arguing with you is about like trying to kick water up hill. No matter many points are proven it always gets twisted around, and you gotta have the last word.

I root for Jason Feger, why? Well I have a personal connection with him. I don't care for Bloomquist or Boggs, why? To me it's simple, their fan bases. I have no clue what those two are like personally, theyre probably good guys. Other than those two, it doesn't matter to me who wins. If Joe Blow is behind them....I hope they pass them, I don't care who it is. I have a closet full of shirts, and that's the only 2 drivers you won't find hanging in there.

What I cant seem to figure out is why you USED to root for tmac, and now all the sudden, he changes cars and the feelings go the opposite direction. He's still the same tmac in and out of the car, no matter what people say. That's what doesn't make sense to me.

Crossbones
02-19-2016, 07:42 AM

lol This reminds me when I went to Volunteer Speedway with a couple of uncles of mine in I think 1995 (I was about 14 years old) and Lanigan was parked outside the pits on the dirt road that leads to the pits, when we walked by Lanigan's car they had wrenches and stuff lined up on the deck of the car with no motor in the car and one of my uncles leaned over and noticed there were no motor in the car (he didn't know how fast an engine can be put into one of these cars and hot laps was about 30 minutes away) and joked and ask Lanigan and his crew were they going to race like the flintstones with their feet that night.lol Lanigan's crew nor Lanigan cracked a smile and never said a word, we just walked on. My uncle was amazed 30 minutes later when that same car came onto the track for hot laps.

pink floyd
02-19-2016, 07:50 AM
This will be my last post on this thread, cuz I've seen it before, arguing with you is about like trying to kick water up hill. No matter many points are proven it always gets twisted around, and you gotta have the last word.

I root for Jason Feger, why? Well I have a personal connection with him. I don't care for Bloomquist or Boggs, why? To me it's simple, their fan bases. I have no clue what those two are like personally, theyre probably good guys. Other than those two, it doesn't matter to me who wins. If Joe Blow is behind them....I hope they pass them, I don't care who it is. I have a closet full of shirts, and that's the only 2 drivers you won't find hanging in there.

What I cant seem to figure out is why you USED to root for tmac, and now all the sudden, he changes cars and the feelings go the opposite direction. He's still the same tmac in and out of the car, no matter what people say. That's what doesn't make sense to me.

I'm going to buy you a boggs shirt.

W2Racing09
02-19-2016, 09:03 AM

T-Mac was never a favorite driver of mine. I used to root for him when Richards wasn't in contention just because I would rather see a Rocket in victory lane than any other brand - because of the companies association with my favorite driver.

The only DRIVERS I'm a fan of are Richards, Satterlee, Sheppard, Russel Erwin and Moyer Jr. after that I cheer for other random drivers just based on the chassis they are running. I prefer to see a Rocket finish ahead of a Bloomquist, etc.

Its just my opinion but racing would be very boring for me to watch if I liked every driver and didn't care who won each race. That is part of what makes the racing exciting to me is having drivers that I don't want to see do well, and drivers I do want to see do well.

plunks7
02-19-2016, 11:37 AM

zyoung25, I will buy you a Bloomquist shirt. :)

SuperEight
02-19-2016, 11:53 AM

Its one of the things that make DLM unique. I myself have favored many brands thru the years, but I've always been fond of Barry Wright Race Cars, but not exclusively. On the other hand there are some brands I've never liked, some are more distasteful to me than others. I have drivers I pull for, but it makes it even more sweet when they win in a chassis I like. If your new to DLM's you werent around in the 80's when not only was there chassis builder diversity but also a vast assortment of suspension systems to choose from. Today's cars actually bore me since everyone is polishing on the same turd for the most part. Back in the day when I came along and even before we had brands like, Jigalo, Rayburn, Howe, Custom, Larry Shaw and Barry Wright, these were the founding fathers, most coming about in the mid late 70's. Transitioning into the 80's came Bullitt, Mastersbilt, Warrior, WRC and some others I cant remember. Rocket came along in the 90's, a Bullitt dealer turned builder. The first 3 Rockets were constructed by Ray Callahan at Bullitt for Mark Richards.

During the 80's it wasn't all 4-link on the National tour(NDRA) like it is today. Back then you had your choice of suspension systems: Coils & Leafs(Monoleaf), Composite(Fiberglass) Leafs, Half Leaf, Canti-lever, Reverse Canti-lever, 2-link, 3-link, 4-link, Torsion Bar and whatever else you could dream up. By the middle of the 80's the majority of racers I was in contact with had settled on your basic coils & leafs with either a lift arm(5th) or a Pullbar. Towards the end of the 80's and into the 90's the SwingArm and 4-link began to emerge and reemerge as a viable alternative to the dominant leaf setups, but races continued to be won on the National tour(Hav A Tampa/UDTRA) by leafs as late as 1995. After 95' the choice for suspension fell into 2 camps, Swing Arm and 4-link and would continue this way for several more years. In 1998, Joe Garrison(GRT) and Skip Arp moved the LR shock/spring behind the axle and we've been playing on the monkey bars ever since. Popularity shifted back and forth between the 2 camps up thru 2007-2008 when 4-link essentially became the predominant choice of most racers today. We also bounced back and forth thru the years between frames that were "Over-Rail and Under-Rail" or "Under-Slung", not to mention the frame rail changes from 2X3 Mild steel early on and up to 1987. Then it became 2X2, followed by 2"RND Chromoly or Mild and then 1-3/4"RND Chromoly.

I think the "Chassis War" came about back when we had so many suspensions choices and different frame designs. I prefer more variety personally and think todays cars have a lack of creativity fostered by a Lemming mentality in our culture. Anyway thats how we got here, its been a journey. Mixed up in the midst of all this chassis and suspension craze were several different body configurations as well from the 70's NDRA Camaro's to the 80's Wedge and then small body cars. Followed by the wider body with slope nose and some with side boards. The 90's brought stock appearing shapes again, with noses and roofs to match each other. Then somewhere in the early 00's the rule makers feel asleep and let the nose maker just make whatever he wanted, which is where we are now, FUGGLY non-descript cars running around FDAU.

W2Racing09
02-19-2016, 12:07 PM
Its one of the things that make DLM unique. I myself have favored many brands thru the years, but I've always been fond of Barry Wright Race Cars, but not exclusively. On the other hand there are some brands I've never liked, some are more distasteful to me than others. I have drivers I pull for, but it makes it even more sweet when they win in a chassis I like. If your new to DLM's you werent around in the 80's when not only was there chassis builder diversity but also a vast assortment of suspension systems to choose from. Today's cars actually bore me since everyone is polishing on the same turd for the most part. Back in the day when I came along and even before we had brands like, Jigalo, Rayburn, Howe, Custom, Larry Shaw and Barry Wright, these were the founding fathers, most coming about in the mid late 70's. Transitioning into the 80's came Bullitt, Mastersbilt, Warrior, WRC and some others I cant remember. Rocket came along in the 90's, a Bullitt dealer turned builder. The first 3 Rockets were constructed by Ray Callahan at Bullitt for Mark Richards.

During the 80's it wasn't all 4-link on the National tour(NDRA) like it is today. Back then you had your choice of suspension systems: Coils & Leafs(Monoleaf), Composite(Fiberglass) Leafs, Half Leaf, Canti-lever, Reverse Canti-lever, 2-link, 3-link, 4-link, Torsion Bar and whatever else you could dream up. By the middle of the 80's the majority of racers I was in contact with had settled on your basic coils & leafs with either a lift arm(5th) or a Pullbar. Towards the end of the 80's and into the 90's the SwingArm and 4-link began to emerge and reemerge as a viable alternative to the dominant leaf setups, but races continued to be won on the National tour(Hav A Tampa/UDTRA) by leafs as late as 1995. After 95' the choice for suspension fell into 2 camps, Swing Arm and 4-link and would continue this way for several more years. In 1998, Joe Garrison(GRT) and Skip Arp moved the LR shock/spring behind the axle and we've been playing on the monkey bars ever since. Popularity shifted back and forth between the 2 camps up thru 2007-2008 when 4-link essentially became the predominant choice of most racers today. We also bounced back and forth thru the years between frames that were "Over-Rail and Under-Rail" or "Under-Slung", not to mention the frame rail changes from 2X3 Mild steel early on and up to 1987. Then it became 2X2, followed by 2"RND Chromoly or Mild and then 1-3/4"RND Chromoly.

I think the "Chassis War" came about back when we had so many suspensions choices and different frame designs. I prefer more variety personally and think todays cars have a lack of creativity fostered by a Lemming mentality in our culture. Anyway thats how we got here, its been a journey. Mixed up in the midst of all this chassis and suspension craze were several different body configurations as well from the 70's NDRA Camaro's to the 80's Wedge and then small body cars. Followed by the wider body with slope nose and some with side boards. The 90's brought stock appearing shapes again, with noses and roofs to match each other. Then somewhere in the early 00's the rule makers feel asleep and let the nose maker just make whatever he wanted, which is where we are now, FUGGLY non-descript cars running around FDAU.

In regards to your last paragraph.

I think that is something that goes on with every racing division. It is sad because I think you lose some of the relate-ability to the division by not being even remotely stock appearing. When a young kid looks at Josh Richards' car the only way to tell it is a "Mustang" is by reading the word M-U-S-T-A-N-G on the grill. They could easily put the word Camaro on there instead and I don't think anyone would bat an eye. Like I said though it isn't exclusive to DLMs. Take a look at this Asphalt Late Model (attached). Not only is the body ugly, but that could be a Toyota, Chevy, Ford, or anything else and we wouldn't know it.

Its the one thing that NASCAR is currently doing better than grassroots racing. The cars look like their street counterparts.

Thanks,
Jeff.

mud duck
02-19-2016, 03:25 PM

I agree Zyoung. I think Jeff is a tad out there with the Rocket love. The way I read his posts, everyone should be in a Rocket and loyal to Mark no matter what and never leave. Also, drive like Josh. I guess he blames TMac, Chub, Scrub, Broom, Lanigan and others for leaving when they actually weren't getting the feedback from the house car. I think true love sometimes makes you blind.

Barbecueboy
02-19-2016, 04:00 PM

I had heard a lot of stuff about Jackie..........and I must tell you that after I met him at county line race for the kids, spent some time with he and his crew I couldn't find one thing that I had heard that was true.

He was very pleasant , genuine and friendly and his motor guy( Larry Ferrell I believe was his name) was the epitome of cool and fun to be around.........all their guys were.

They even offered to haul a camper to Portsmouth for us to stay in if we wanted to trek up to the dtwc and hang out..........and this was my first time ever meeting any of them when that offer was made.

I have zero problems with Mr Boggs or any of his crew.....and as a matter of fact am now a pretty big fan and like what he stands for when it comes to helping out the kids and family in his life..........that's some pretty stand up stuff in my book.

Barbecueboy
02-19-2016, 04:03 PM
In regards to your last paragraph.

I think that is something that goes on with every racing division. It is sad because I think you lose some of the relate-ability to the division by not being even remotely stock appearing. When a young kid looks at Josh Richards' car the only way to tell it is a "Mustang" is by reading the word M-U-S-T-A-N-G on the grill. They could easily put the word Camaro on there instead and I don't think anyone would bat an eye. Like I said though it isn't exclusive to DLMs. Take a look at this Asphalt Late Model (attached). Not only is the body ugly, but that could be a Toyota, Chevy, Ford, or anything else and we wouldn't know it.

Its the one thing that NASCAR is currently doing better than grassroots racing. The cars look like their street counterparts.

Thanks,
Jeff.

I don't know Jeff............those camrys look nothing like my moms Camry.lol

Snake X3
02-23-2016, 07:41 PM
Here are the chassis stats for all of the Speedweeks races. This may not be 100% accurate but it should be pretty close. Also, I did line totals for Longhorn without Davenport and Rocket without Richards. The "Other" line were for a few drivers that I didn't have, but it was maybe 5 guys.

http://snakenet.com/SpeedweeksFinal.jpg

Thanks to everyone that helped identify the chassis some of the guys were running. :)

pink floyd
02-23-2016, 09:26 PM
incredible stats snake. bd/disco never led a feature lap?? typo??

a25rjr
02-23-2016, 09:35 PM
incredible stats snake. bd/disco never led a feature lap?? typo??

Im pretty sure that's correct pink!

With 5 heavy hitters (EPJ, Erb, Oneal, Lanigan, Francis) they only managed 5 top 3's! Sad!!!!

Snake X3
02-23-2016, 10:35 PM
Im pretty sure that's correct pink!

With 5 heavy hitters (EPJ, Erb, Oneal, Lanigan, Francis) they only managed 5 top 3's! Sad!!!!

Yes. That's correct. Although their average finish was on par with Rocket and Longhorn for roughly the same amount of feature starts, it's pretty clear that across the board the cars just weren't fast. In the features the experience and caliber of drivers in the BD stable helped make up for the overall lack of speed. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but when you look at their performance in Overall and Group "quick times" and ridiculously low number of heat wins and highest number of provisionals, it makes me think that the average finishing position was more driver than car. That's just my theory though.