PDA

View Full Version : Mudcover Tech

zach51
02-16-2016, 09:31 AM
Alright, so I've raced before (mini sprints in Tulsa not stock cars) and we would run mud covers on the right rear, and sometimes right front due to banging the cushion and (as the name suggests) keeping the mud from caking up in a wheel, which once that happens you either pull of or your teeth will rattle out.

So my question/comment is with late model racing being so competitive and everyone looking for an edge, an extra tiny advantage, what are your opinions/knowledge on this? You see a lot of guys running them on the left side and some don't. Also some guys run beadlocks all the way around and some don't. It looks like from some of the pics I've seen that JD either doesn't run a beadlock on the left sides or he just runs an inner beadlock on the lefts. Even non-outside beadlock wheels have the capability of added a foam mud plug or there is also a ring you can mount in the wheel and Dzus a mud cover in there.

Having looked at Moyer Jr's pics from last night (and other guys I've seen in the past as well), it looks like they have some type of vented covers. Are they vented and flared to maybe allow air to get in and cool the brakes? I've just been curious about this for a while and as picky as everyone is starting to get about rules and aero advantage, I think the harmless little mud covers often get overlooked, and in the game nowadays, any tiny advantage is big.

What do you guys think?

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Alright, so I've raced before (mini sprints in Tulsa not stock cars) and we would run mud covers on the right rear, and sometimes right front due to banging the cushion and (as the name suggests) keeping the mud from caking up in a wheel, which once that happens you either pull of or your teeth will rattle out.

So my question/comment is with late model racing being so competitive and everyone looking for an edge, an extra tiny advantage, what are your opinions/knowledge on this? You see a lot of guys running them on the left side and some don't. Also some guys run beadlocks all the way around and some don't. It looks like from some of the pics I've seen that JD either doesn't run a beadlock on the left sides or he just runs an inner beadlock on the lefts. Even non-outside beadlock wheels have the capability of added a foam mud plug or there is also a ring you can mount in the wheel and Dzus a mud cover in there.

Having looked at Moyer Jr's pics from last night (and other guys I've seen in the past as well), it looks like they have some type of vented covers. Are they vented and flared to maybe allow air to get in and cool the brakes? I've just been curious about this for a while and as picky as everyone is starting to get about rules and aero advantage, I think the harmless little mud covers often get overlooked, and in the game nowadays, any tiny advantage is big.

What do you guys think?

Any vents would allow heat to escape. Hot air moves to colder air.

Most don't run beadlocks where not needed because of the extra rotating weight.

Certainly, there is something to be said for managing the heat in the wheel to get your tires in the correct operating temperature range for the track you are running.

TheJet-09
02-16-2016, 11:49 AM
And they also make non-beadlock wheels with covers, which many run on the left side. Personal preference for me, I run beadlocks on the right side for obvious reasons but also on the left because the tire is less likely to "unbead" if I get run into (which is common at my level of racing, with someone underneath you). And it theoretically allows me to carry less spares (I lived life thus far with only open trailers) because if need be a spare could then be used on the left or right. At the level those guys you mentioned race, different story!

formercrewguy
02-16-2016, 12:28 PM
We run a plug/with cover on the rf to keep heat in. A cover on the rr to let heat out.

SuperEight
02-17-2016, 06:15 AM
FASTRAK outlawed the metallic covers for, "safety" reasons on their series... I don't think it was an issue, but they hold the keys. For me I like the covers, all the way round. I think, Fastrak anyway, allows plastic covers.

zach51
02-17-2016, 02:21 PM
I've seen a couple fly off sprint cars going down into turn 1 at Knoxville and fly like a saucer over to Casey's. That would not be good if you got hit in the head with one those spinning like a saw at 100 miles an hour.

06Tireman
02-17-2016, 02:35 PM
I lost a RR cover at Bedford 1 night... No idea why or how it came off... I started putting a small piece of duct tape over the dzues so they cant turn off the spring..