PDA

View Full Version : Question on camber

jamminjayman5
02-18-2016, 06:34 PM
I've always just set my static camber and caster at ride height and went, but I recently got to looking at pictures of my car during cornering and it looked like the Rf stood straight up and down when turning right during compression. I don't believe any thing is bent, but after checking car on stands with no springs and in compression the car looses 5.5 of camber from straight to full lock right. What are things I should look for

RCJ
02-18-2016, 09:44 PM
More caster will cause camber lose at full lock.A-arm lengths and angles are next pieces of the puzzle.Are you racing a metric?

jamminjayman5
02-19-2016, 05:47 AM
It's on a chevelle, but it's on an 06 hughes that hasn't been updated. I never could seem to get the caster down where I wanted it. I'm debating on cutting the mounts off and putting a different style upper on it and starting over

Lizardracing
02-19-2016, 10:10 AM
I've always just set my static camber and caster at ride height and went, but I recently got to looking at pictures of my car during cornering and it looked like the Rf stood straight up and down when turning right during compression. I don't believe any thing is bent, but after checking car on stands with no springs and in compression the car looses 5.5 of camber from straight to full lock right. What are things I should look for

Isn't that kinda the point? You want the tire to be perpendicular to the track surface under normal corning forces. It sounds like it's pretty good to me.

jamminjayman5
02-19-2016, 11:45 AM
It's loosing negative camber and going towards a positive

25rjr
02-19-2016, 01:59 PM
It's loosing negative camber and going towards a positive

That's pretty normal. Make sure you have the right length upper a-arm and/or static camber. Let the tire wear dictate how much camber you need.

billetbirdcage
02-20-2016, 04:14 PM
If you turn your RF a full 90 degrees outboard from straight the camber drops to the inclination angle of spindle + the positive caster you have (subtract for neg caster) = the amount positive of camber the tire has at full 90 degree of turn.

Meaning 7 degree spindle and 4 degree's of positive caster turned 90 degree will end up at 11 degrees positive camber regardless of how much negative camber you started with.

#Note this is assuming no caster gain during travel and not accounting for body roll left to right which will increase the neg camber total also.

95shaw
02-20-2016, 07:34 PM
Here's an asphalt guys take on caster and camber. i feel its all about presenting the tire to the track trying to get max traction. JMHO

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=42467