PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Drivers

BTExpress
02-20-2016, 09:36 AM
Who is your favorite driver(s) and why do you root for them? Thinking about it, I guess I root for three drivers on the national scene. Josh Richards (my in laws live close to the Rocket shop, and I had a chance to meet him there). TMac (loved him from his dirt modified days and his Dad, Barefoot Bob, was one of my favorites growing up) and Rick Eckert (he is the closest national driver who lives near me.....need a PA driver to root for).

Josh Bayko
02-20-2016, 09:39 AM
I have a tendency to root for the guys who came from big block modifieds because I grew up watching big blocks. It's kinda sad that McCreadie is really the only one left on the national scene.

BTExpress
02-20-2016, 09:47 AM
Josh, that is my background as well. Did you see Tim Fuller won at Volusia the other night in the big block modifieds?

LMPunk
02-20-2016, 09:48 AM
Mike Marlar. Live pretty close to him, great bunch of people on his team including Mike himself, and a hell of a driver.

Also pull for Randy Weaver as he's a local guy as well as Madden simply because not many folks around this area seem to like him, and I love watching them get mad when he wins in East Tennessee.

Michael Chilton and Dustin Linville are a couple more I pull for when I get up into Kentucky. Had the chance to talk to Chilton on a few occasions and he's a good ole boy.

Josh Bayko
02-20-2016, 10:02 AM
Josh, that is my background as well. Did you see Tim Fuller won at Volusia the other night in the big block modifieds?

Yep. It's good to see. His return to mods last year was less than stellar. It's good to see him back to being competitive. I'd much prefer to see him back in a late model though.

02-20-2016, 10:15 AM
On a national level its Scott Bloomquist. One of, if not the best ever. Plus he always keeps things interesting. On a regional level, gotta go with Dustin Linville. If anyone has ever meet or talked to him at the track, you know why. A down to earth guy, who takes time for his fans.

Pennsboro23
02-20-2016, 10:23 AM
Nationally - Davenport, I liked him way before his dominance last year. Loved how he always ran so hard.

Around my area I tend to root for Derek Doll, Jared and Jacob Hawkins.

plunks7
02-20-2016, 11:22 AM
Bloomquist--Feger--- Chris Simpson

Local ) Tyler Bruening--Jason Rauen-- Nic Marloff

nlhenry55
02-20-2016, 11:47 AM
I have to say Davenport, i have been a fan of his for several years . Brandon Overton & Casey Roberts are my other favorites & locally Jimmy Sharpe. Gotta support all these Ga Drivers

dirtdobber45
02-20-2016, 12:14 PM
Ive liked Jimmy O since he drove street stock also Bloomquist as much negativity he gets hes an ok guy and of course cant leave out Ronnie Johnson man can drive anything and win lol plus Buck Simmons (r.i.p) Locally they dnt have slm unless its a series (which is sad ) but back in the day it was Scott Sexton(r.i.p) he kicked a$$

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
02-20-2016, 12:46 PM
T-MAC from dirt mods in central ny. His dad BAREFOOT along w LOU LAZARRO were my favorites so il always b a mccreadie fan.

SUPERMAN started watching him down here in the carolinas and really liked his style. I have friends that are close to him also. But most of all hes just that

DAM GOOD!

There are a few others I like but those are the main 2.

BTE GOOD THREAD HERE AND INTERESTING TO SEE WHO LIKES WHO.

SBR18
02-21-2016, 08:02 PM
Easy answer Shannon Babb!!!

kidrock
02-21-2016, 08:14 PM
Shannon Babb, Brandon Sheppard, Brian Shirley, Jason Feger, Bobby Pierce, Frank Hackenast, Dennis Erb

SBR18
02-21-2016, 08:15 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb but my guess kid rock is from Illinois!

kidrock
02-21-2016, 08:17 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb but my guess kid rock is from Illinois!

And that sir would be a good guess lol

kidrock
02-21-2016, 08:18 PM
Could you imagine if all those guys showed up at your weekly show. What a show that would be and the place would be packed

old fan
02-21-2016, 08:22 PM
they did years ago

rickybrown1952
02-21-2016, 08:36 PM
Billy moyer,shannon babb, and my 3rd he had to get out of DLMR Randy (king kong) korte

25rjr
02-21-2016, 08:38 PM
EPJ.....I was an original crew member in the early years. He always takes time for his fans!
Bloomer.....Used to hate him for winning everything. Simply the best ever and I love his one-liners and excuses!
Richards.....didn't care for him in his early years, wrecking everyone. It all changed when I crew chiefed a Rocket and spent several days with him and his dad at BRP a couple years ago. Their willingness to help was immeasurable. The lies that are told about them are NOT true! Josh is a great wheelman and spokesman for their business.

RoundNrOUND
02-21-2016, 09:00 PM
You couldn't be more correct about the Rocket group. When we ran their chassis Mark was probably the best help I ever received to this day. The guy gets a bad wrap and I don't know why.

chupp n bloomer fan
02-21-2016, 09:09 PM
Bloomer. Used to strongly dislike him, but as I got older, and he did, I've grown to like him. This year he's even giving compliments and owning up to screw ups. So the haters going to have to go a different route. But to be on top for so long against the best competition, and never scaling back because he's getting his a$$ kicked, I like.

Others are Josh Richards, Randy Weaver, Tim McCreadie, Dustin Linville, and locally Jason Montgomery and Greggie Oliver.

And guys I wish would come back are Randle Chupp, Bart Hartman, and Birky.

RoundNrOUND
02-21-2016, 09:25 PM
Good guys in the pits that I've always enjoyed being around are in no particular order, Jared Landers, Birky, Eddie Carrier, Josh and Mark Richards, Barry Wright, Jason Fitzgerald, Earl, Jackie Boggs is a trip, Josh McQuire, Francis has always been very good to deal with, Chris Wall, Keith Masters, Tmac is a blast, Stapleton is always good for a laugh and I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few. Guys that I never really enjoyed there company are Mars, Scott and especially Madden.

K1ngCat
02-21-2016, 09:37 PM
Billy Moyer, Shannon Babb, Jonathan Davenport, Eddie Carrier, Brandon Sheppard

TUTY
02-21-2016, 10:47 PM
Birky, Chris and Chad Simpson, Scrub, Jeep.

Scott Boesel
02-21-2016, 10:54 PM
Kevin "BUZZY" Adams from cameron wi

jrkracing54
02-22-2016, 03:19 AM
I'm a Josh Richards fan. I guess because I've only ever owned Rocket cars so I guess I'm just brand loyal. I have met him a couple times and he has been very cool. I have always been a Birky fan too but never more than his last year when he ran Rockets. I also like Eckert, McCreadie, Pearson, Owens. Locally Ivadent Lloyd Jr. is about as nice of a guy you could talk to and he's always been a help to me even when I'm competing against him. John 1*

joebutta5
02-22-2016, 05:41 AM
on the national scene it would have to be Feger. locally I am a Rattler fan

badacefaist19
02-22-2016, 07:13 AM
National:
Bloomquist- he has so many haters but he is the man
Babb- used to get to see him a couple of times a year around these parts but not so much any more, just wide open driver
Clanton- won the first race I ever went to at North Georgia, loved his old yellow and orange car
Any other Georgia drivers- I always pull for drivers from my home state on the national scene, Davenport, Overton, McDowell, etc.

Regional:
Chris Madden-He pretty much has dominated around where I am from, always enjoyed watching him
Ronnie Johnson- how can you not like the guy that shows up late and whips everybody on the high side

Local:
Aaron Ridley- good buddy of mine I have grown up with, very talented driver, want to see him on the regional tour again
Chip Brindle- another good one to watch, would like to see him in a slm again

Dirtracing1983
02-22-2016, 01:26 PM
I would have to say for a region guy would be Jack Sullivan from Arkansa and Chris Madden. Jack is a true class act at the track and takes time for is fans!!! Go Cadillac!!!!

plunks7
02-22-2016, 06:06 PM
Kevin "BUZZY" Adams from cameron wi

Is his Dad Dave?

Kwoods25
02-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Richards gets up on the wheel, BShepp same reason gets up on the wheel, Carrier one of the nicest people to meet, Babb love watching him run the bullring tracks, Chub always helped me everytime I have needed anything, Overton and his family are some of the nicest people you will meet in the pits

Scott Boesel
02-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Is his Dad Dave?

Yes he is and Dave owns Adams automotive

plunks7
02-22-2016, 10:36 PM
Yes he is and Dave owns Adams automotive

Drove #500. Is Dave still building chasiss ( Mods ) I believe. I loved watching him race. He was the Man. Talked to him on several occasions. Back when I was a Teen. Tom NesBitt was my Favorite.

cmmg42
02-23-2016, 11:25 AM
Bill Frye, Terry Phillips, Josh McGuire, Jackie Boggs, Jeff Floyd are some of my favorites.

Barbecueboy
02-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Jimmy Owens......Epj.....Casey Roberts ...ECJ.......Brady Smith( ret.)

In no particular order.

pink floyd
02-23-2016, 11:48 AM
Jimmy Owens......Epj.....Casey Roberts ...ECJ.......Brady Smith( ret.)

In no particular order.

and Jackie boggs???

Bubstr
02-23-2016, 12:01 PM
I really don't care if a driver is a nice guy. I didn't go to converse, but to watch them do something spectacular. I like anyone that puts on a good show. They don't have to be roll models, they just have to pass other cars. If they are congenial, go to church on Sunday, sign autographs and entertain the kids and fans, it's a plus, not mandatory.

W2Racing09
02-23-2016, 12:12 PM
Josh Richards, I always used to root for him before I was into dirt racing and just watched the races occasionally on TV. Now that I'm a huge dirt fan Josh is still my favorite because he is always trying to win. You rarely see him make a decision because it makes sense for point racing, or to not tear up equipment. He wants to win and does whatever he can to try to make that happen. From talking to him a few times he is a nice guy and always answers questions from fans, and other drivers as well.

Gregg Satterlee, when I first started going to races in the Mid Atlantic when I moved here I was not a fan. Every time he unloaded he seemed to win. As time went on though I met him a few times (my dad is a huge fan of his, and I usually try to get him a t-shirt or hoodie every year at the World Finals) and he is one of the nicest people. Always clean and respectful and he drives the car hard as well. It helps that he runs a Rocket as well.

Others that I root for, B. Shepp, Eddie Carrier, Sam Gallagher (LLM), Darin Henderson (Crate), Russell Erwin (SLM, LLM, Mods), Dustin Strand, Jeremy Keller, and I was a Tim Fuller fan when he raced SLM and I root for him now on the very rare chance I go to a BBM race that he is running in. I wish Birky would come back too because he would be right up there as well! Lastly, my previous favorite local driver JT Spence retired last year but I was definitely a big fan of his (even though the last race he ran was in a Club 29).

Thanks,
Jeff.

RiffRaf67
02-23-2016, 12:15 PM
55 VanWormer, 99m Moran and 4B Boggs. Some of my friends will claim that I also root for the 0, but its more respect than fandom.

Barbecueboy
02-23-2016, 12:33 PM
and Jackie boggs???

I like him a lot............I was going to add him to the list instead of Brady since he is retired, but still a huge fan of Brady and some of his sponsors that we know personally....and just wanted to see his name again in a slm dirt racing discussion.

JMDraceHD98
02-23-2016, 01:36 PM
National: Birky and Brady Smith (2014 was a ruff year for me), Mike Marlar, Jimmy Owens, Billy Moyer

Regional: Chris Simpson, Jesse Stovall, Jeep Vanwormer

Local: Jason Rauen, Justin Kay, Jon and Luke Merfeld

I really am a fan of anyone who gets up on the wheel, not afraid to dent the car and pass a lot of cars!

zach51
02-23-2016, 02:00 PM
I feel like there is a little difference between "favorites" and drivers you like to watch the most. Davenport is spectacular to watch. Billy Moyer is one of my favorites because I grew up in Arkansas and got to watch him a lot. I don't feel like the last few years though he has been as exciting to watch. He is cautious, calculated, somewhat like Bloomquist. Most of the time not exactly rodeo crazy. Jared Landers, crazy to watch. He's calmed down some recently by my gosh he is always guaranteed to put on a performance.

I'm digging way back here, but when I was growing up and dad would take me to watch I always liked watching guys like Tony Cardin, Robbie Starnes, Al Purkey (I guess you could consider them regional). Heck 25 years ago there wasn't many guess that weren't "regional". They'd go as far as the gas money would allow.

Freddy Smith was always one of my favorites. My dad bought me a shirt of his when he ran the Bazooka car probably 1994-1995 range and it had an alligator on the back and said "Geaux Freddy". I thought that was the coolest thing ever. Mike Duvall is another one (rarely got to see him though). As a kid how could you not like the "Flinstone Flyer" car.

CIRF
02-23-2016, 02:24 PM
Favorite dirt late model driver of all time--Mr. Jack Hewitt.

Favorite active dirt late model drivers--Mr. Kevin Weaver & Mr. Tim McCreadie (we like Weaver 'cause he's always been a class act and a clean and great driver, McCreadie cause he can jump in a midget and run well against the best dirt drivers)

Favorite up and coming young dirt late model talent--Probably Mr. Bobby Pierce (although there are some great young dirt late model drivers out there that we really like, too)

Snake X3
02-23-2016, 04:33 PM
I'm glad you posted this thread, BTExpress. I almost posted this question a dozen times.

This is only the 3rd full season I've followed the sport closely, so my favorites are still evolving. When I watched the sport more casually I rooted for Don O'Neal and Bub McCool, but once I got into it hardcore in 2013 I started rooting for the boys from the GA/SC/NC region like Clanton, McDowell, JD, Madden, Casey Roberts, Rambo and Fergy. That is still pretty much the case, but since JD is a national guy now he's become my favorite touring driver. Overall my favorite is Casey Roberts because he's soft spoken and drives clean, but he'll kick someone's a$$ if they race him dirty.

Because so many of my favorites are in Longhorns, I tend to root for other Longhorn drivers and I'm pretty heavily biased towards Lucas guys over WoO drivers. I really like all the Lucas drivers including Bloomer, so I'm always pretty happy with the outcome of the Lucas races. At the end of last season I also started rooting for Jackie Boggs.

mud duck
02-23-2016, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=W2Racing09;1988847]Josh Richards, I always used to root for him before I was into dirt racing and just watched the races occasionally on TV. Now that I'm a huge dirt fan Josh is still my favorite because he is always trying to win. You rarely see him make a decision because it makes sense for point racing, or to not tear up equipment. He wants to win and does whatever he can to try to make that happen. From talking to him a few times he is a nice guy and always answers questions from fans, and other drivers as well.

Gregg Satterlee, when I first started going to races in the Mid Atlantic when I moved here I was not a fan. Every time he unloaded he seemed to win. As time went on though I met him a few times (my dad is a huge fan of his, and I usually try to get him a t-shirt or hoodie every year at the World Finals) and he is one of the nicest people. Always clean and respectful and he drives the car hard as well. It helps that he runs a Rocket as well.

Others that I root for, B. Shepp, Eddie Carrier, Sam Gallagher (LLM), Darin Henderson (Crate), Russell Erwin (SLM, LLM, Mods), Dustin Strand, Jeremy Keller, and I was a Tim Fuller fan when he raced SLM and I root for him now on the very rare chance I go to a BBM race that he is running in. I wish Birky would come back too because he would be right up there as well! Lastly, my previous favorite local driver JT Spence retired last year but I was definitely a big fan of his (even though the last race he ran was in a Club 29).

Thanks,
Jeff.[/QUOTE

Do you own stock in Rocket? There's some diehard JD and bloomer fans on here, but (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Jeff you beat them by a long shot!! Is there any other brand out there in your eyes? Mark has got to put you on the payroll for promoting the brand like you do!

pink floyd
02-23-2016, 05:24 PM
At the end of last season I also started rooting for Jackie Boggs.

i like you snake!!

Snake X3
02-23-2016, 05:32 PM
i like you snake!!

Coming from you, that is a high compliment. :)

pink floyd
02-23-2016, 05:44 PM
Coming from you, that is a high compliment. :)

well, thanks snake!! glad boggs has another fan!

Snake X3
02-23-2016, 06:36 PM
well, thanks snake!! glad boggs has another fan!

I've posted this a few times, but like Barbeque Boy, I was at the Race For Kids. And while BBQ had a lot better reasons for speaking highly of Jackie Boggs, mine were just based on what I saw on the track and afterwards. The look on that man's face when he was being interviewed and the way he roared off while Rambo was being interviewed...and Rambo's face while witnessing it unfold was classic.

But what really impressed me was the battle he waged with Casey Roberts. That's why I love this sport. He battled with my favorite driver and ran hard and clean. A lot people might not take a likin' to someone competing hard against their guy, but I appreciated the way he raced. Then on top of it he had the lead taken from him on a fluke, so he was a sympathetic underdog by the time the checkers flew. He never gave up though.

Before the race started the crowd wasn't very loud in support of the 4b, but when it was over they sure were. But what really sealed the deal for me was when I saw the highlights on DoD and the respect Casey and Rambo gave him. So reading what BBQ Boy had to say only confirmed what I suspected...he's one of the good ol' boys.

ride height
02-23-2016, 07:52 PM
Well my all time is Purvis. But Active driver its ....Day-O Mick Dow 17M

kidrock
02-23-2016, 09:24 PM
Well my all time is Purvis. But Active driver its ....Day-O Mick Dow 17M

Have to agree with Purvis. One of the best that's for sure.

zyoung25
02-23-2016, 09:32 PM
Feger and Ferguson. Both small money guys, but do well against the big money guys. Both very likable people as well.

On a regional or local level, Nick Latham. Nick is a good friend of mine and has improved a ton over the last couple years.

plunks7
02-23-2016, 11:15 PM
Well if you go back a few years. Tom Nesbit, Charlie Swartz, Leon Plank and Ed Sanger. Were my favorite and I still Talk to Tom and Ed. This is when it was called a Late Model Special they paid $1000.00 to win. The average car count was around 65.

A local favorite was Dave Adams and Jeff Hinkelmeyer.

pink floyd
02-24-2016, 04:51 AM
Charlie Swartz was the man.
Jackie boggs - his relationship with kids drew us to him, my granddaughter loves him.

pink floyd
02-24-2016, 04:54 AM
I like him a lot............I was going to add him to the list instead of Brady since he is retired, but still a huge fan of Brady and some of his sponsors that we know personally....and just wanted to see his name again in a slm dirt racing discussion.

brady was one of my favorites also, the last time i saw him was at tri-city three years ago if my memory is correct. one heck of a driver!!

FastEd95
02-24-2016, 10:47 AM
Favorite Active Drivers: Gary Webb, Darrel DeFrance. All-Time Favorites: Mert Williams, Ed Sanger, Dave Bjorge, Don Hoffman, Webb.

Jarrad99m
02-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Kevin weaver. What about him is there not to like?

birky time
02-25-2016, 10:34 PM
National i would have to go with goat (the best there is the best there was the best there will ever be) brian birkhofer...regional i like the rooster

chupp n bloomer fan
02-26-2016, 06:01 AM
[QUOTE=W2Racing09;1988847]Josh Richards, I always used to root for him before I was into dirt racing and just watched the races occasionally on TV. Now that I'm a huge dirt fan Josh is still my favorite because he is always trying to win. You rarely see him make a decision because it makes sense for point racing, or to not tear up equipment. He wants to win and does whatever he can to try to make that happen. From talking to him a few times he is a nice guy and always answers questions from fans, and other drivers as well.

Thanks,
Jeff.[/QUOTE

Do you own stock in Rocket? There's some diehard JD and bloomer fans on here, but (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Jeff you beat them by a long shot!! Is there any other brand out there in your eyes? Mark has got to put you on the payroll for promoting the brand like you do!Very same can be said for at least one Longhorn Rumley groupie. But that's the brand you like, so obviously Jeff takes the cake. But there's some icing being gobbled by the Longhorn faithful too. Personally, chassis means nothing to me. Bloomer, T-Mac, Weaver, Rooster, Richards, and so on. But there is two Longhorns in my little list there;).

W2Racing09
02-26-2016, 08:37 AM

Thanks,
Jeff.[/QUOTE

Do you own stock in Rocket? There's some diehard JD and bloomer fans on here, but (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Jeff you beat them by a long shot!! Is there any other brand out there in your eyes? Mark has got to put you on the payroll for promoting the brand like you do!

I can assure you the day Rocket becomes publicly traded I will certainly be doing some more investing!

Yeah, I do have a few other brands that I don't mind. For instance I promote a Modified series (MidAtlanticMods.net) and one of our sponsors is Lazer Chassis, they make Mods and Late Models. If I ever get a chassis that isn't a Rocket it would probably be a Lazer. I also don't mind MB Custom, and Victory Chassis as I like that they are providing a chassis company to areas that otherwise wouldn't have their own chassis. I also really don't mind Capital cars either.

Thanks,
Jeff.

In The Gas
02-26-2016, 10:06 AM
Favorite full time driver: Don Oneal
Favorite all time driver: John Gill; The 80's and 90's he was as good as anyone in the country

jlacey
02-26-2016, 11:57 AM
Even though Ive lived in Maryland most of my life I started to like a bunch of drivers from GA and the Carolinas. Roberts, Fergy, Madden, JD. Locally, Jamie Lathroum and Stevie Long, 2 guys i went to school with and had some good times with back when they were runnings carts and street stocks. Always liked Jack and now Jackie Boggs, after seeing him for the 1st time at Charlotte last year Feger made me a fan real quick. When I 1st got into racing Larry Moore was my favorite along with Boggs

waaac77
02-26-2016, 12:18 PM
Currently I like Feger, Erb Jr and Heckenast (not from IL just like these guys right now and would like to see them win a big show)

Favorite all time: Birky and Brady. The sport hasn't been the same without these two and needs them both back

cratedaddyD21
02-26-2016, 03:43 PM
National..Donnie O, Bloomer,becoming a big fan of Bobby Pierce the more I get to see him. Regional....The Rattler, Chilton and Jackie Boggs Local...Jeremy Hines is just awesome and Cody Mahoney is a real talent. Miss those days of seeing Gill, Jewell,O'neal, Ault,Claycomb and a few others for a regular night show at Brownstown...Those were the days !

Cast-Iron-Junkie
02-26-2016, 04:05 PM
28th year as a Bloomquist fan.

12th year as. Josh Richards fan.

Love the Summer Nationals and became a fan of several of those guys.

Rodney Melvin, Dennis Erb, Shannon Babb, Jason Feger, Kevin Weaver

Most talented young gun, Bobby Pierce
Favorite DLM driver period.....Rusty Schlenk

70satomic
02-26-2016, 04:05 PM
Probably one of the best shows I ever seen was MIKE MARLER going into the pits on lap 5 at atomic speedway TN and by the 50th lap he had worked his way up to 2nd before the checked flag. He ran the top & bottom to get up to jimmy owens the winner. I've been a MARLER fan ever since.

Clayton_Wetter
02-26-2016, 05:14 PM
On a national level its Scott Bloomquist. One of, if not the best ever. Plus he always keeps things interesting. On a regional level, gotta go with Dustin Linville. If anyone has ever meet or talked to him at the track, you know why. A down to earth guy, who takes time for his fans.

Wow, that is just the way I see it too!

Flathead
02-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Johnny Virden! If he can't make you laugh you've got problems!

Pennsboro23
02-26-2016, 08:36 PM
Probably one of the best shows I ever seen was MIKE MARLER going into the pits on lap 5 at atomic speedway TN and by the 50th lap he had worked his way up to 2nd before the checked flag. He ran the top & bottom to get up to jimmy owens the winner. I've been a MARLER fan ever since.

I also like Mikey, seen him win the Hillbilly 100 from the tail of the field.