PDA

View Full Version : Camaro center link

Hodrod7
02-22-2016, 05:40 AM
When switching from a stock metric center link to a Camaro center link on a small metric car cutting the tie rod is needed, but I'm out of threads and still have 2" of toe out. Using autozone tie rods with a 1/2" shorter adjuster than a stock one! What am I missing?

7uptruckracer
02-22-2016, 08:04 AM
http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/10630271.pdf Same centerlink they just rebrand it

7uptruckracer
02-22-2016, 08:06 AM
Basically you cut 1" off inner tie rod threads and 1" off outer tie rod threads

Hodrod7
02-22-2016, 08:49 AM
I have cut 3/4-1" of both inner and out tie Rods already. (Both left and right sides) The problem that i have is both adjusters run out of thread and I still have about 2" of toe out. I am even using 1/2 shorter adjusters then stock split style ones! (4" long) I should add I am running Impala spindles if that matters.

ric78
02-22-2016, 09:51 AM
Like 7up said all you should have to do is cut an inch off tie rods it should be fine. Either the impala spindles are not gonna work with this set up or you have the wrong drag link.

Hodrod7
02-22-2016, 10:29 AM
Id have to back and check to see which year of Camaro center link I purchased. What year is the best to use?

7uptruckracer
02-22-2016, 11:04 AM
82 to 92 Camaro DS1049

Hodrod7
02-22-2016, 11:17 AM
Pretty sure I went of a 86 Camaro. (Unless it was package wrong)

7uptruckracer
02-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Should be around 15" center to center

25rjr
02-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Doesn't Bob Pierce sell the correct tube for this?

Hodrod7
02-22-2016, 03:27 PM
I called AFCO. They told me their "Camaro" center link is not to be used with impala spindles. Told me I would have to do some playing with different tie rods do be able to get the Camaro link to fit! That link is for metric spindles only!! Seems odd to me

25rjr
02-22-2016, 07:15 PM
I called AFCO. They told me their "Camaro" center link is not to be used with impala spindles. Told me I would have to do some playing with different tie rods do be able to get the Camaro link to fit! That link is for metric spindles only!! Seems odd to me

Might not be a bad idea to switch over. Then you can get everything from Pierce.

Hodrod7
02-23-2016, 05:24 AM
25rjr what all are you recommending "switch over"?

a25rjr
02-23-2016, 03:47 PM
25rjr what all are you recommending "switch over"? Switch the impala spindles to metric. But I guess you have the big brakes on those impala ones?

Hodrod7
02-23-2016, 04:18 PM
11" rotors is what I'm running. I'd really like to stay with the impala spndle to help geometry on the uppers. But I'll weight out my options and see what's best! Thanks avert one for your help!

a25rjr
02-23-2016, 07:10 PM
Whats wrong with the metric front end,with a Camaro cl, scd? I know that's what Pierce puts on his mods.

a25rjr
02-23-2016, 07:36 PM
Ah hah! Kind of like the early Chevelles with the pinto spindles. Cut up too many centerlinks to make that work.

a25rjr
02-23-2016, 10:11 PM
But the idler and pitman arm wasn't centered either and took a custom made center link to fix the bump steer. Of course, I am talking about 20 years ago. too.

Hodrod7
02-24-2016, 06:54 AM
Both idler and pitman arm should be straight with the frame?

JustAddDirt
02-24-2016, 08:33 AM
arms should in line, but not that big of deal if they are not be but with a Metric clip the Camaro drag link does improve bump a lot.
Impala spindle steering arm have more of a curve in them towards center than a metric.
I recommend staying with the Impala spindles, and heating and straightening the steering arm to put it in line with lower ball joint. then weld a brace from base of spindle by ball joint out to steering arm. Will improve Ackerman, and help bump steer. will also fix your problem with the tie rod lengths. will have to do both sides.

Hodrod7
02-24-2016, 09:43 AM
When you say "inline with the lower ball joint" is that the center pivot of the ball joint or the top of the ball joint where it goes threw the spindle? How far would I need to bend the arm? Will "re-fabricating" a metric spindle saver do almost the same thing as welding a brace? Or after bending will it be that far off? Sorry, for what ever reason I cant reply to anyone's comment, only make a new post.

a25rjr
02-24-2016, 10:09 AM
a chevelle uses a chevelle centerlink and stock idler and pitman it is all centered just fine, 99 percent of the modifieds out there are built on chevelle clips

Dirtworks found a different year center link that worked better, that's probly what you are referring to. Even then, you had to use those long spacers to get the bumpsteer close.

Hodrod7
02-24-2016, 10:53 AM
Stock Car Racer, Maybe you could tell me what tie rod to use because I'm clearly not "capible" to find it! Maybe I got the wrong guy but I called AFCO the other day, he told me of no such tie Rod that was that short! Guess I was "capible" enough to ask!Maybe a "hey buddy, if your going to run that center link with those spindles you need to do ........"

oilman
02-24-2016, 12:00 PM
7, I believe a 75 Monza tie rod end is what you want. They are short.

Hodrod7
02-24-2016, 01:00 PM
Before with metric spindles and metric center link, limited upper angle. (Last year) it was 11mm RF 3mm lf. I have no idea what it is with Camaro link, and Impala spindles. (Need to solve tie Rod issue 1st)Thanks for taking a few seconds to find them!

a25rjr
02-24-2016, 01:06 PM
no I am not.

I run a chevelle grt now with chevelle centerlink stock oem and less than half inch spacers for bump steer. ALL IMCA mods run oem centerlinks as per the rules, there are probably 10,000 plus of them out there.

Don't worry about it, you clearly aren't up to date on whats going on in the racing world today.

This guy can run a stock metric centerlink and be fine.

If he hasn't got the capability or knowledge to search for a shorter tie rod end, which is readily available as short as 3", then he likely doesn't know what he has for bump steer now or what he even wants. Some people should leave things alone.
ok....RUMLEY JR....you CLEARLY missed my post saying that was 20 years ago!

Since we parked side by side to the Dirtworks house car, all week long at Volusia that year, and had the same discussion. Rex liked the idea how we modified our centerlink to fix the bumpsteer. But, hey, Dirtworks was a podunk chassis builder that doesn't know anything and never won anything....roll eyes!

fastford
02-24-2016, 04:49 PM
ok....RUMLEY JR....you CLEARLY missed my post saying that was 20 years ago!

Since we parked side by side to the Dirtworks house car, all week long at Volusia that year, and had the same discussion. Rex liked the idea how we modified our centerlink to fix the bumpsteer. But, hey, Dirtworks was a podunk chassis builder that doesn't know anything and never won anything....roll eyes!

don't blame him 25rjr, ive come to the conclusion he cant help being a _ _ _ _ head , you can fill in the blanks,

a25rjr
02-24-2016, 05:39 PM
don't blame him 25rjr, ive come to the conclusion he cant help being a _ _ _ _ head , you can fill in the blanks,

He cant help it.....he's been waitin by the phone all week, expecting a call from Rumley, so he can tell him how to fix those "Horns"! LOL

JustAddDirt
02-25-2016, 09:04 AM
When you say "inline with the lower ball joint" is that the center pivot of the ball joint or the top of the ball joint where it goes threw the spindle? How far would I need to bend the arm? Will "re-fabricating" a metric spindle saver do almost the same thing as welding a brace? Or after bending will it be that far off? Sorry, for what ever reason I cant reply to anyone's comment, only make a new post.

You would be heating the spindle on the steering arm to straighten it up. You will have to cut and weld a support bar to the spindle. the metric spindle save will not work on a big GM spindle
shoot me a PM with an e-mail or phone number and I will shoot you a couple pictures.

what you are effectively doing is making your tie rod the same length as the a arm, from were it bolts into chassis to center of ball joint. when the 2 are the same length , and on same plane, it will make both points pivot in the same arch as the suspension travels in compression and rebound.
effectively greatly improving bump steer.

7uptruckracer
02-25-2016, 11:36 AM
I just run metric spindles with +1" upper joints. makes for a taller spindle that does the same you're trying to accomplish with the impala being taller. I know in the Keyser Mag you can look at tie rods that have different lengths and check your thread. Pierce isn't a 5/8" thread on the inner if i remember correctly from when i ran them. Look up lightening modified chassis they use metric clips with metric spindles and camaro centerlink. I've done a lot of super streets and mods with metric clips and camaro and metric centerlinks and can always get the bump pretty good.

Hodrod7
02-25-2016, 12:13 PM
You would be heating the spindle on the steering arm to straighten it up. You will have to cut and weld a support bar to the spindle. the metric spindle save will not work on a big GM spindleshoot me a PM with an e-mail or phone number and I will shoot you a couple pictures.what you are effectively doing is making your tie rod the same length as the a arm, from were it bolts into chassis to center of ball joint. when the 2 are the same length , and on same plane, it will make both points pivot in the same arch as the suspension travels in compression and rebound.effectively greatly improving bump steer.PM sent Thanks