PDA

View Full Version : Metrolina Speedway Question after looking at pictures?

HoosierDirtFan
02-28-2016, 01:43 PM
Looking at some pictures of Metrolina Speedway on the www.DirtFans.com website.
Anyone know why the track closed?
Here are the pictures I've found - www.DirtFans.com/MetrolinaSpeedway.html

You guys that haven't looked at the website; check it out. very cool pictures.

Click on Dirt Racing 101 at the top of the page www.dirtfans.com - if names are highlighted in green there are pictures.

Krooser
02-28-2016, 02:10 PM
I believe that the opening of the tracks at Jefferson and one other GA track hastened it's demise.

I was trucking in the south a lot in the 70's. I stopped by Metrolina one night while laid over at the old Southern 500 truck stop. The promoter gave me a free pit pass as a courtesy to an out of state driver. Dale Earnhardt was running a Ford Mustang (IIRC) in the 6 cylinder class...

toyracer
02-28-2016, 06:33 PM
Urban sprawl and zoning doomed Metrolina. Charlotte area was growing & I think they may have used a noise ordnance to finally put a nail in coffin.

Track was both dirt & asphalt during its lifespan & many a famous driver made laps @ that speedway.

1/2 mile with long straight aways. Was. An awesome track

Slideways
02-28-2016, 07:25 PM
I have heard the same thing about the noise ordinance.

I went there once for a race on the old Hav-A-Tampa series back in the '90s. But due to some electrical problems with the facility, and a curfew, the race was never run.

jlacey
02-28-2016, 07:56 PM
Never had the chance to go there but its sad to see any dirt track shut down. Stopped at Pennsboro a few months ago when i was driving through WV at work and that was a sad site to see.

DoubleZero
02-29-2016, 07:40 AM
Metro had some heavy-weight promoters too, Ned Jarrett ran both (paved) Metro and Hickory. In the late '60's Charlotte had a companion dirt track, "Queen City Speedway", lasted a couple seasons. Engulfed by a runway at the airport, and noise complaints......http://goo.gl/zBeUWn

bonz45
02-29-2016, 11:17 AM
"Engulfed by a runway at the airport, and noise complaints....."

That always eats at me...noise complaints, but they're ok with an airport??????