PDA

View Full Version : Tracks that have closed in your area

K1ngCat
02-28-2016, 08:01 PM
Taylor County Speedway......Barren County Speedway......Lake Cumberland Speedway.......Bluegrass Speedway......all Kentucky tracks,all within a hour of me.Thank God,Ponderosa Speedway is going strong.

old fan
02-28-2016, 08:04 PM
Montgomery county in Missouri Godrey speedway and St Charles speedway

jlacey
02-28-2016, 08:20 PM
Dorsey Speedway, Old Dominon (asphalt)

Kwoods25
02-28-2016, 08:22 PM
311 Motor Speedway. Here they may be running every other week this season. Fingers crossed

3 wide
02-28-2016, 08:37 PM
In Tennessee Huntsville speedway,Oneida speedway,atomic speedway, Tennessee motor speedway at Baxter,crossville was suppose to reopen ,green valley Gadsden al,north Alabama.

HoosierDirtFan
02-28-2016, 08:38 PM
Crown Point Speedway - Crown Point, Indiana (Broadway / Southlake Speedway). Feb,. 2006
Santa Fe Speedway - (Willow Springs / SW Chicago), Illinois. 1995
Rensselear Raceway - Rensselear, Indiana. 1985
Raceway Park - Blue Island, Illinois. 2000
Warsaw Speedway - Warsaw, Indiana. 1990

Mod22
02-28-2016, 08:43 PM
Even though their not running late models or mods that I know of, Warsaw Speedway is supposed to be opening back up in 2016.

TUTY
02-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Opposite here, two tracks with in 1 hour of my home paying $5000 to win weekly for 410 Sprints. And there are 9 other tracks within 1 1/2 hours running Mods, Stocks, B Mods, Hobbies.

Josh Bayko
02-28-2016, 08:55 PM
Challenger, and I miss that place a whole bunch. It was such a racy little bullring.

HoosierDirtFan
02-28-2016, 09:04 PM
Even though their not running late models or mods that I know of, Warsaw Speedway is supposed to be opening back up in 2016.

yeah I heard that. supposedly racing 600 micro sprints to how it goes this year.

Cardirt0
02-28-2016, 09:11 PM
yeah I heard that. supposedly racing 600 micro sprints to how it goes this year.

BUT the thing is as long as they race something on the track it ant closed.. And thats all that matters.........

Drop Shock
02-28-2016, 11:47 PM
I'm the mountain state: West Virginia motor speedway and more than likely Beckley Motor Speedway

zyoung25
02-29-2016, 12:14 AM
Brown county and rocky top.

In Kentucky I had mudlick valley close near Flemingsburg, ky. All 3 have been shut down for a good while.

castone
02-29-2016, 12:51 AM
Two sad things for sure are a ghost race track, and a ghost drive-in theater of days gone by.

TheJet-09
02-29-2016, 01:33 AM
Hales Corners, WI. Lake Geneva, WI (asphalt). Freeport Raceway, IL. Princeton, IL.

TBSprintFan
02-29-2016, 01:59 AM
Riverview Raceways = Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada. Closed in 1993. Home track of #1 Tom Nesbitt, #51 Joel Cryderman, #97 John Jones and others

MI Dirt Fan
02-29-2016, 05:08 AM
Thunderbird in Muskegon MI closed about 3-4 yrs ago but was bought and suppose to reopen this year. And Cherry Speedway southeast of Traverse City was bought and closed for good.

hex8320
02-29-2016, 05:22 AM
In Pennsylvania : Challenger, Thunder Valley, Latrobe, Ebensburg, Windber. In Maryland:Cumberland, MD (supposed to open this year). These are all the tracks we used to race. I can remember when we had to decide what track we wanted to go to.

King1
02-29-2016, 06:27 AM
Mountain Motor Speedway, Isom KY
Lucky 7 Speedway, Colson KY
Thunder Ridge, Prestonsburg KY

old fan
02-29-2016, 06:30 AM
Two sad things for sure are a ghost race track, and a ghost drive-in theater of days gone by.but how about a drive -in turned to race track

bleedblue55
02-29-2016, 06:48 AM
Morgantown, WV Speedway at Cheat Lake. Been closed probably 35 years or so. Now a giant convenient store/gas station and a holy roller mega church.
Interstate/ I-79/ Brennan's across the road from the Rocket shop. Now a parking lot for an auto auction.
I started my lifelong addiction to dirt racing at these two tracks as a child in the early 60's.

Pops15
02-29-2016, 08:57 AM
Sugar Island Park, Santa Fe, Raceway Park, Mazon, Bureau County Speedway, Aledo, Macomb, Shaheen's, Champaign, Pana, LaPlace, Mendota, Peotone, Wakeegan, Freeport, Pecatonica, Mount Olive, Williamson County, Mount Vernon, Godfrey, Danville Speedbowl, Pride Of The Prairrie, and several more that were in Illinois.
Some of those tracks are ancient history. Others closed more recently. Unfortunately the list will continue to grow.

HEAVY DUTY
02-29-2016, 09:18 AM
Rockcastle, Clinton Co., Lake Cumberland, Bluegrass, Scenic, Golden Mountain, Tenn Motor, Atomic, Big South Fork, Mountain Motor, Lucky 7, Perry County, Bluegrass, Clay City, Barren Co., Cool Springs, Taylor Co., Thunder Ridge, Half Mountain, all fairly recently. Countless more since I was a kid. Lost Creek, Frankfort, Russell Springs, Junction City, McKee, Pine Knot, Lonnies, I am sure there are more.

weatherman85
02-29-2016, 09:53 AM
I-20 Speedway (Batesburg SC), Gordon Park Speedway (Augusta Ga), Mileback speedway (Gray Court SC), Thunder Valley (Lawndale NC), I-75 Speedway (Chester SC), Westminster Speedway (Westminister SC) have all closed. Modoc speedway seems to be iffy and no longer runs weekly shows.

Jim11h
02-29-2016, 10:04 AM
Lakeville Speedway in Ohio about 5yrs ago. Before that it's been awhile since I can recall a track closing permanently. Had Bryan close in early 90's and Mansfield Speedway but rumored to re-open but it's pavement now

CIRF
02-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Sugar Island Park, Santa Fe, Raceway Park, Mazon, Bureau County Speedway, Aledo, Macomb, Shaheen's, Champaign, Pana, LaPlace, Mendota, Peotone, Wakeegan, Freeport, Pecatonica, Mount Olive, Williamson County, Mount Vernon, Godfrey, Danville Speedbowl, Pride Of The Prairie, and several more that were in Illinois.
Some of those tracks are ancient history. Others closed more recently. Unfortunately the list will continue to grow.

Pops' list is a sad one, for sure. I can remember most of the tracks he lists.

I would add to Pops' list these Illinois speedway's that are also defunct:

Sterling Speedbowl Park,
Benton Speedway,
Brownstown Speedway,
Crawford County Speedway in Stoy, Illlinois,
Pittsfield Speedway,
Raceway Park in Blue Island,
White Squirrel Speedway in Olney,
3rd Street Speedway in Streator,Illinois,
Ohare Field Speedway in Des Plaines, Illinois.

And In Eastern Iowa we have Blue Grass Speedway that closed several years ago.

Scott Boesel
02-29-2016, 11:04 AM
Fox Ridge Speedway in Arcadia WI

Pennsboro23
02-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Pennsboro Speedway, West Virginia Motor Speedway, and Interstate 79 Speedway. All within 50 min of the house.

Doc88D
02-29-2016, 11:50 AM
North Alabama Speedway in The northwest corner of the state. It is the raciest facility in the AL/TN/MS area. Actually it has been for sale. But sadly the owner wants $850,000 for a track that hasn't been open a full season in years...

pap
02-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Green Valley Speedway, original home of the Bama Bash......Still pi$$es me off!!!!! Who the he!! ever Harker sold it to, LITERALLY hated the track so much, they made a lake out of it......Have good health eating those fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sold it under the premise of a residential development and the only new houses on the property are shooting houses for the hunters. And for what it's worth, it's for sale again.

K1ngCat
02-29-2016, 02:26 PM
Rockcastle, Clinton Co., Lake Cumberland, Bluegrass, Scenic, Golden Mountain, Tenn Motor, Atomic, Big South Fork, Mountain Motor, Lucky 7, Perry County, Bluegrass, Clay City, Barren Co., Cool Springs, Taylor Co., Thunder Ridge, Half Mountain, all fairly recently. Countless more since I was a kid. Lost Creek, Frankfort, Russell Springs, Junction City, McKee, Pine Knot, Lonnies, I am sure there are more. Why did Atomic Speedway close?............always heard it was a bad A$$ track

Clayton_Wetter
02-29-2016, 02:38 PM
In Tennessee Huntsville speedway,Oneida speedway,atomic speedway, Tennessee motor speedway at Baxter,crossville was suppose to reopen ,green valley Gadsden al,north Alabama.

And Scenic.

Barbecueboy
02-29-2016, 02:50 PM
I-20 Speedway (Batesburg SC), Gordon Park Speedway (Augusta Ga), Mileback speedway (Gray Court SC), Thunder Valley (Lawndale NC), I-75 Speedway (Chester SC), Westminster Speedway (Westminister SC) have all closed. Modoc speedway seems to be iffy and no longer runs weekly shows.

The track in Chester was a very nice place .............

nlhenry55
02-29-2016, 03:29 PM
441 Speedway in Dublin, Ga. Great facility, have seen some great races there over the years.

dmr37
02-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Pops' list is a sad one, for sure. I can remember most of the tracks he lists.

I would add to Pops' list these Illinois speedway's that are also defunct:

Sterling Speedbowl Park,
Benton Speedway,
Brownstown Speedway,
Crawford County Speedway in Stoy, Illlinois,
Pittsfield Speedway,
Raceway Park in Blue Island,
White Squirrel Speedway in Olney,
3rd Street Speedway in Streator,Illinois,
Ohare Field Speedway in Des Plaines, Illinois.

And In Eastern Iowa we have Blue Grass Speedway that closed several years ago.

Brownstown Speedway? Is that Fayette County Speedway (open)?

donkypunch4u
02-29-2016, 04:29 PM
Unfortunately its looking more and more like Lasalle Speedway is at the verge of being a statistic on this list. What a shame, this place went from being a first class facility to only hosting a handful of big money shows this year. I like the big shows as much as the next guy but without the grassroots weekly show, there is no place for young drivers to develop their talent with hopes of someday being part of the big show. Now more than ever people need to support their local tracks!

HoosierDirtFan
02-29-2016, 04:39 PM
unfortunately its looking more and more like lasalle speedway is at the verge of being a statistic on this list. What a shame, this place went from being a first class facility to only hosting a handful of big money shows this year. I like the big shows as much as the next guy but without the grassroots weekly show, there is no place for young drivers to develop their talent with hopes of someday being part of the big show. Now more than ever people need to support their local tracks!

go read tony izzo jr's facebook page and you will have an idea why he is running a limitied schedule this year.
Not trying to be mean just letting you know.

fastford
02-29-2016, 05:54 PM
Green Valley Speedway, original home of the Bama Bash......Still pi$$es me off!!!!! Who the he!! ever Harker sold it to, LITERALLY hated the track so much, they made a lake out of it......Have good health eating those fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sold it under the premise of a residential development and the only new houses on the property are shooting houses for the hunters. And for what it's worth, it's for sale again.
it still peeees me of to pap, there was also a track about 50 miles south that ran back in the late 90s and some during the 2000s called Childersburg speedway , one of the best tracks we ever ran, now there's ruts 2feet deep all over it, what a shame, but its still for sale.

LMPunk
02-29-2016, 06:02 PM

Ha, we share an area. All the same ones I was going to mention. I'll add Albany, KY's track too.

Late_Model_Mark
02-29-2016, 06:40 PM
North Alabama Speedway.

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer

Krooser
02-29-2016, 06:58 PM
I thought I could buck the trend of tracks closing deal when I opened a new track in central Wisconsin in 2014. The original 1/2 mile track had only been used for horses and a couple of midget shows back in the 50's.

In the mid-2000's a group of snowmobile enthusiasts cut a 1/3 mile out of the big track and ran on an ice track for about 5 years. They had big $$$ sponsors but all that money went to the racers... the small group of promoters wound up working six months out of the year for zip. No profit = no racing and they pulled the plug after the 2013 event.

I leased the track the next season and put every last dime I had to my name in improvements and equipment. I had to petition the county for a zoning exemption. I was forced to have a 10PM curfew and limit my show to three lower classes to keep the locals happy and get the program rolling.

I lasted five nights before the cash ran out. Couldn't get guys to run a weekday show even though everything was done by 9:30 PM. One guy told me it 20 miles was too far to tow on a Thursday. Others wanted to only run under the same rules the other tracks in the area ran. I ran my 'open comp' rules and I guess the street stock guys got scared my pure stocks and old enduro cars would whip their a**ses so they stayed home. I needed car but I got little help.

I paid my drivers more $$$ than any other track in the area. I paid every race... trophy dash, heat, feature, back-up race... whatever we ran. I guess making $500.00 in one night with a streeter just wasn't incentive enough to race. My four cylinder guys got $200 to win their main... the track 15 miles away paid $15 and a pit pass for next week!

So I got a real lesson on how some of today's drivers operate. I guess racing just to race is an obsolete deal. Maybe I should have given out 'participation trophys'...

dalemcfan
02-29-2016, 09:36 PM
Jax Raceways in Jacksonville, FL
Thunderbowl Speedway near Valdosta, GA
Waycross Motor Speedway in Waycross, GA (I'm considering it closed as long as they have the overflow of imported cars from the port of Brunswick parked in the parking lot)

weatherman85
03-01-2016, 07:31 AM
Riverside Speedway near Travlers Rest SC. CLosed in 2006 and is now a golf course if I'm not mistaken.

old fan
03-01-2016, 07:46 AM
Krooser that is a sad deal teams won't travel 20 miles on a Thursday night ,sounds like they just don't want to race

golddirt
03-01-2016, 10:26 AM
but how about a drive -in turned to race track

That would be lasalle

wheelpackin
03-01-2016, 12:38 PM
KY Lake got bought out and will soon become, if not already, a housing addition? Is that correct?

Doc88D
03-01-2016, 03:02 PM
KY lake was taken over by eminent domain and will be made into an exit ramp for the highways next to it...

wheelpackin
03-01-2016, 04:18 PM
It sure is a sad thing to think about all these tracks that have been listed who now sit dormant.

Late_Model_Mark
03-01-2016, 05:34 PM
Posted earlier, Green Valley Speedway, what a flippin' awesome track, maybe the best facility in the state. Had 2 great years of announcing there. That place was intense. Miss it so, had some real flavor to it.

Late Model Mark
Former Green Valley Speedway Announcer

wheelpackin
03-01-2016, 07:26 PM
Green Valley Speedway is news to me. I seem to be behind at times...when did this happen?

3 wide
03-01-2016, 07:52 PM
The guy that ran green valley new nothing about dirt track racing when they ran that big crate race a few years ago I think it was 25 thousand to win I asked a guy in the stand I said I don't get it he said what you I said there's not enough people in the stands to pay first place money he said don't worry about it the guy is loaded the last time I went there I left at 2 am and they had not stared the late model feature that's why they are out of business.

stevensracing_6
03-01-2016, 09:48 PM
Dead lakes motor speedway in wewa,fl it was also called north florida motor speedway it was leveled and has projects on top of it now

plunks7
03-01-2016, 09:51 PM
Not enough here.

stevensracing_6
03-01-2016, 09:57 PM
But there is 2 new tracks that have opened in my area in the last 6 months so I'm Pretty happy about that

Scott Boesel
03-01-2016, 10:48 PM
I thought I could buck the trend of tracks closing deal when I opened a new track in central Wisconsin in 2014. The original 1/2 mile track had only been used for horses and a couple of midget shows back in the 50's.

In the mid-2000's a group of snowmobile enthusiasts cut a 1/3 mile out of the big track and ran on an ice track for about 5 years. They had big $$$ sponsors but all that money went to the racers... the small group of promoters wound up working six months out of the year for zip. No profit = no racing and they pulled the plug after the 2013 event.

I leased the track the next season and put every last dime I had to my name in improvements and equipment. I had to petition the county for a zoning exemption. I was forced to have a 10PM curfew and limit my show to three lower classes to keep the locals happy and get the program rolling.

I lasted five nights before the cash ran out. Couldn't get guys to run a weekday show even though everything was done by 9:30 PM. One guy told me it 20 miles was too far to tow on a Thursday. Others wanted to only run under the same rules the other tracks in the area ran. I ran my 'open comp' rules and I guess the street stock guys got scared my pure stocks and old enduro cars would whip their a**ses so they stayed home. I needed car but I got little help.

I paid my drivers more $$$ than any other track in the area. I paid every race... trophy dash, heat, feature, back-up race... whatever we ran. I guess making $500.00 in one night with a streeter just wasn't incentive enough to race. My four cylinder guys got $200 to win their main... the track 15 miles away paid $15 and a pit pass for next week!

So I got a real lesson on how some of today's drivers operate. I guess racing just to race is an obsolete deal. Maybe I should have given out 'participation trophys'...

Is this Amherst by chance just curious

luv racin
03-03-2016, 10:07 PM
Just went by Lake Cumberland Speedway in Burnside, KY the other day and seen where they have taken the tracks sign down and there is a Kingsford charcoal sign there..not good sign for the reopening of the track and I hate cuz loved the place

25 Jay 53
03-03-2016, 11:47 PM
KY Lake is closest to me that has actually shut down, it and Clayhill in Atwood. But, as far as dirt late model racing goes, in my area it's dead. 2 small shows this season within 100 miles of me, a Comp Cams race in Camden, TN and a Southern All Stars race at Tennessee National in Hohenwald, TN. Other than that, 130 miles to a World of Outlaws race in Duck River. Otherwise gotta drive almost 200 miles to see anything decent.

CIRF
03-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Brownstown Speedway? Is that Fayette County Speedway (open)?
You're right. I stand corrected.

Thanks for setting me and the record straight.

CIRF
03-04-2016, 08:11 AM
St. Augustine Speedway, St. Augustine, Florida
Thundercross Speedway, Okeechobee, Florida
The Mickyard, Disneyworld Speedway, Kissimmee, Florida

SuperEight
03-05-2016, 06:01 AM
Hwy 106 Speedway - Carnsville, GA
West Minster Speedway - West Minster, SC
Blue Ridge Speedway - Blue Ridge, GA
Sugar Creek Speedway - Blue Ridge, GA
Seven Flags Speedway - Douglasville, GA (aka West Atlanta Speedway)
Lakewood Speedway - Atlanta, GA (The track in, "Smokey and the Bandit" movie)
Peachbowl - Atlanta, GA

nc mudcat
03-05-2016, 07:39 AM
311 Speedway (NC)
Rolling Thunder (VA)

over4T
03-05-2016, 12:47 PM
Latest one around here to close is Sacramento Valley Speedway, better known as Orland Speedbowl. They closed last week to build soccer fields of all things.

shagger
03-05-2016, 04:01 PM
KY Lake is closest to me that has actually shut down, it and Clayhill in Atwood. But, as far as dirt late model racing goes, in my area it's dead. 2 small shows this season within 100 miles of me, a Comp Cams race in Camden, TN and a Southern All Stars race at Tennessee National in Hohenwald, TN. Other than that, 130 miles to a World of Outlaws race in Duck River. Otherwise gotta drive almost 200 miles to see anything decent.In my area ky lake, paducah (real soon),pennyrile speedway, madisonville motor speedway, central park raceway, nebo (soon),barren co, bluegrass, trenton.

toddg13
03-05-2016, 04:09 PM
But there is 2 new tracks that have opened in my area in the last 6 months so I'm Pretty happy about thatHey Stevensracing, I was wondering which two track you were referring to? Thanks. Also, do you know if Dixieland or Smokey Harris will be running this year? Appreciate it. I missed the final race at the Wewahitchka track by one week. That still bums me out..

XRACER1993
03-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Per their web site... Illiana Motor Speedway, in Schererville,Ind will not open for the 2016 racing season.. How sad is this !.. Now we only have 1 race track in the Chicagoland area... Grundy County Speedway... Cant count Kankakee Speedway as no weekly late model shows.....

old fan
03-12-2016, 12:01 PM
how close is rockford

XRACER1993
03-12-2016, 12:28 PM
Depends On Traffic ! :-)

i like racing
03-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Langlade County Speedway in Antigo, WI (still runs like 1 special a year)

Looks like Thunderhill Raceway in Sturgeon Bay, WI won't be running this year unless something changes

Chilton Speedway in Chilton, WI has run some specials in recent years but last year's fall special was supposed to be the last race there

Manitowoc Speedway in Manitowoc, WI is supposed to run this year and then be done since the county sold the land to Meijer to build a grocery store

jr29
03-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Langlade County Speedway in Antigo, WI (still runs like 1 special a year)

Looks like Thunderhill Raceway in Sturgeon Bay, WI won't be running this year unless something changes

Chilton Speedway in Chilton, WI has run some specials in recent years but last year's fall special was supposed to be the last race there

Manitowoc Speedway in Manitowoc, WI is supposed to run this year and then be done since the county sold the land to Meijer to build a grocery store

I hate to hear that. I used to work a lot in central and eastern Wisconsin and it seemed like heaven for racers and race fans.
Shawano, Seymour, Plymouth, Oshkosh, 141, and the Beaver Dam tracks still run don't they ?

In my area these are the tracks that I have frequented that have closed over the last 15 or so years .....
Woodland Speedway in cairo, Ms.
Pine Ridge Speedway in Baldwyn, Mississippi
North Alabama Speedway in Tuscumbia, Alabama
Memphis Motorsports park in Memphis, Tn
Garnertown Speedway in Lexington, Tn
Milan Motorsports in Milan, Tn.
Big Boy Speedway in Dyersburg, Tn.
Clayhill Motorsports in Atwood, Tn.
Malden Speedway in Malden, Missouri
Kentucky lake in western Kentucky.

STRONGERTHANDIRT
03-21-2016, 05:45 PM
Paducah is still open.

dmr37
03-22-2016, 09:55 AM
Per their web site... Illiana Motor Speedway, in Schererville,Ind will not open for the 2016 racing season.. How sad is this !.. Now we only have 1 race track in the Chicagoland area... Grundy County Speedway... Cant count Kankakee Speedway as no weekly late model shows.....
Sycamore Speedway!

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
03-22-2016, 05:23 PM
311 Speedway (NC)
Rolling Thunder (VA)

Someone told me that rolling thunder was opening up again but cant conferm it for sure.