PDA

View Full Version : Tire prep stand

RCJ
03-15-2016, 07:07 AM
How many rpm do they turn?

riddle28
03-16-2016, 06:25 AM
I'd like to know too and where are they buying the motors for them?

RCJ
03-16-2016, 07:16 AM
I found a gear reduction motor on ebay for $30.Turned 11 rpm.Bill fyre has his tire machine listed at 7rpm.I'm adding 1 more pulley to get it to 7 rpm.7 rpm sounds a little fast to me, but I 'm sure Bill knows what he is doing.

Kromulous
03-16-2016, 08:47 AM
I was told 6 to 11 rpm, at the shaft.

a25rjr
03-16-2016, 06:10 PM
Graingers carries several low rpm motors. We use these on our tire prep hot boxes.

Lizardracing
03-17-2016, 10:51 AM
RPM is entirely dependent on usage and diameter of the tire. People should be looking at surface feet per second. I built my 12v tire prep station for about 75 dollars and I have pinion gears made for 8/11/15 rpm.
I use the 8 for siping and the 15 for grinding or cleaning and general prepping. I race a modified using the AR G60 with a roll out of approx. 83". A late model tire will need to run slower to keep the SF/sec the the same.

Chris Steele
03-18-2016, 05:49 AM
Lizard, please share how you made it that cheap. Places you bought stuff etc. Thanks in advance

zeroracing
03-18-2016, 08:12 AM
Question for you guys, where are you getting your hub, are you using a standard wide five hub or a steel plate? If using the hub how are you connecting it to the drive.

RCJ
03-18-2016, 09:36 AM
Steel plate,4"wide .All of my wheels are dual pattern, so I'm drilling 2 holes across from each other on a 10.25" pattern.I'm making one for the shop that does 4 tires.220$ plus cost of motor.Figuring out how to make the hubs(cheap ,easy ) was the most difficult.I would have bought them if anybody made any.

Lizardracing
03-18-2016, 03:22 PM
Keep in mind this is a working protype so some "make pretty" are needed and I have a patent already. Many commercial prep stations are just way big and bulky or ungodly costly for the racer like me with a small truck, open trailer and hand tools. I designed this one with compactness, lightweight, portability, cost, power requirements and ease of use for all tire work cause I hate tire work! I mean I really hate it but as a poor boy racer, I have to put in a lot more time to those who can buy their way to the front. Washing, cleaning, chemical prep, grooving, siping, and grinding can all be accomplished just by changing the speeds and using the foot control.

The first pictures shows the wheel mount flange. This is a 5x5 pattern cause that's all I use but the smaller 5x4.75 pattern is marked for drilling if I need it. I'm working on a bolt on wide 5 option now. I prefer a knock off style retention device for one handed use and no worries about misplacing lugnuts or addition tools like a impact. The aluminum is just an idea I have to facilitate easier lining up the wheel holes with heavy wheel and faster mounting. The are just pressed in right now in case I don't like it. The round plate under the knock off centers the wheel and the lugs are just for drive.

Picture 2 shows a 60 degree detent mechanism for the freewheeling option for hand prep work. Some people like that style of grinding I guess cause I see that in the pits a lot. Tightening the set screw set's the tension to break over to the next 60 degree detent section when doing hand work like cross siping and grooving or even measuring roll out.

Picture three is a closer look.

Picture 4 shows the mount to my specific trailer and the switch. It's has reversing capability with a plug in foot control when desired not shown here.

Pictures 5 shows the motor. It's a 12v or 24v motor. I run it at 12v off my winch battery or off a 24v to 120v adapter when using it to clean tires at the shop for the slight increase in speed. This works really well for application of chemical prep because the rotation keeps the prep from running and dripping.

Lizardracing
03-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Picture 6 shows the motor mount, the gear reduction, the chain drive for torque multiplication, and the adjuster to change the RPM with the pinion gears. There are three pinion/idlers and changing the combination of the gear position from idle to driven, three speeds can be achieved. I need someway of safely and conveniently storing the third when not used.

Picture 7,8 and 9 show the gear train.

Not pictured are the covers for safety and a different mounts I have for trailer wall mounting, receiver mounting or stand mounting. The mount shown is for angle iron.

I'm in the process of adding a slide type selector to make speed changes even faster then changing the pinions and lithium power to make it even more compact and self contained for those who don't have a winch or generator.

So far many people like using it in the pits. I get compliments all the time as guys bring their tires over to my stall for prep work. I only ask they give me feed back to things they prefer to have or see so I can incorporate and improve the design.