PDA

View Full Version : moonshiners

fastford
03-15-2016, 08:03 PM
dirt track racing on moonshiners on discovery channel to night

Raceready
03-15-2016, 11:10 PM
Action with Josh racing at Cherokee. It would have been really funny if they put old Tickle in a race car!

fastford
03-16-2016, 07:59 AM
you don't think oie BG has been tuning on josh,s car do you???? maybe he can get SCD to come down and help out some....LOL

jog49
03-16-2016, 09:08 AM
I likes the narrator's description that would lead an unknowing person to believe Josh was driving a 850 hp car! He probably ought to stick to the water delivery truck anyway.

Barbecueboy
03-16-2016, 09:47 AM
I likes the narrator's description that would lead an unknowing person to believe Josh was driving a 850 hp car! He probably ought to stick to the water delivery truck anyway.

I heard that too .......chuckled a bit.

Barbecueboy
03-16-2016, 09:50 AM
you don't think oie BG has been tuning on josh,s car do you???? maybe he can get SCD to come down and help out some....LOL

SCD?

Is that serges car design??? An offshoot of huckytyson garage racing series??

fastford
03-16-2016, 11:23 AM
use your imagination Bbq, By the way, that wasn't one of your ribs I seen ole billy nawing on was it ? made me hungry as he!!

AnonymousNate
03-20-2016, 10:14 PM
moonshirners..... how much of that ''(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)e'' Is actually real.... hmm.. I guess as FAR as your eyes can see.......

zeroracing
03-21-2016, 09:34 AM
Kinda like street outlaws, one would think the police would be smart enough to go, hey isn't that the pro-mod from that illegal street racing show on that trailer. Maybe we should follow it...

same deal with the moonshiners, I was under the impression the biggest illegal act they are in theory performing is tax evasion. Which if true would be well documented through the show, and one would not actually need to get caught with the actual moonshine.

ptown
03-21-2016, 01:38 PM
That show is fake, no illegal moonshine is actually being produced, just a bunch of idiots playing make believe with water.

TheJet-09
03-22-2016, 08:05 AM
Street Outlaws is probably my favorite show (I know, get a life), but I laugh at how they make it out to be so "Illegal" but on race night they have top of the line auxiliary light towers and EMS on scene. Their so called "test hits" sure, but they don't even show much of that anymore. I'm not really in to Moonshiners but when I do see it, I can't get enough of Jim Tom and Tickle. Even the dog Cutie Pie. Some real "recognizable" characters on that show!

Raceready
03-23-2016, 02:19 AM
That show is fake, no illegal moonshine is actually being produced, just a bunch of idiots playing make believe with water. It is a proven fact that Tim Smiths moonshine is being produced and sold in all but 7 of the continental states now under the Climax label.

edavis71
03-23-2016, 03:15 AM
That show is fake, no illegal moonshine is actually being produced, just a bunch of idiots playing make believe with water.

I am sure that you are correct about being fake, got to get them ratings but I can assure you that old corn liquor is made daily. hell, I know someone that makes it!!!

TheJet-09
03-23-2016, 04:41 AM
I was wondering though, why is moonshine so expensive? I'm a Miller Lite guy so I can't relate but isn't there alcohol available legally that is just as strong, but much cheaper?

SFrancisFan15
03-23-2016, 07:01 AM
Street Outlaws is probably my favorite show (I know, get a life), but I laugh at how they make it out to be so "Illegal" but on race night they have top of the line auxiliary light towers and EMS on scene. Their so called "test hits" sure, but they don't even show much of that anymore. I'm not really in to Moonshiners but when I do see it, I can't get enough of Jim Tom and Tickle. Even the dog Cutie Pie. Some real "recognizable" characters on that show!

One of my favorites as well but they do say at the beginning of the show that the races were are conducted within a controlled environment with strict safety protocols in place. Some of those wrecks in the New Orleans season sure have been nasty.

ptown
03-23-2016, 10:31 AM
It is a proven fact that Tim Smiths moonshine is being produced and sold in all but 7 of the continental states now under the Climax label.

The key word you failed to absorb was ILLEGAL moonshine, yes Tim Smiths moonshine is legally produced, sold and taxed.

ptown
03-23-2016, 10:33 AM
I am sure that you are correct about being fake, got to get them ratings but I can assure you that old corn liquor is made daily. hell, I know someone that makes it!!!

I have some that was purchased from some southern friends I met at Eldora, that stuff will kick your a$$.

Barbecueboy
03-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Any of us can make shine , it's not that hard .........any of us cannot make QUALITY shine.....it's an art.

And as somebody else has already stated......it's made every day by someone.

And has very little to do with proof as to it being good........you want it between 90 and 110( which is a little hot) , anything over that and it's barely fit to drink straight.

There are easy setups using a pressure cooker on a stovetop..........it's dangerous , don't do it unless you know what your doing.

Twist'EM Up
03-23-2016, 01:46 PM
I hear u guys talking about it.What episode is that on? I'd like to check it out.. Thanx

Raceready
03-23-2016, 03:38 PM
The key word you failed to absorb was ILLEGAL moonshine, yes Tim Smiths moonshine is legally produced, sold and taxed. In response to the post that stated that it is all water that they are dealing with?

Bubstr
03-23-2016, 07:02 PM
Good Shine is far and few between. Seems like the more they make the worse it tastes. A crock pot with a fish tank hose threw a cooler works too.

Twist'EM Up
03-23-2016, 07:53 PM
Rye makes way better tasting shine...

Spongebob
03-23-2016, 11:06 PM
I was wondering though, why is moonshine so expensive? I'm a Miller Lite guy so I can't relate but isn't there alcohol available legally that is just as strong, but much cheaper?

I bought a jar of 100 proof Ole Smokey Original Moonshine here in MN for $19.95.
Tastes good with Coke (the liquid type in a can)

Barbecueboy
03-23-2016, 11:15 PM
I bought a jar of 100 proof Ole Smokey Original Moonshine here in MN for $19.95.
Tastes good with Coke (the liquid type in a can)
A lot of the old smokey is grain neutral spirits based(ever clear is grain neutral), nothing wrong with it and it tastes good.
Is the 100 proof you have corn ? Or does it say grain neutral on it?

No offense to anyone or anyone's style.....real moon is corn.

Twist'EM Up
03-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Que, if you go to VMS apr 9.. Look me up and ill give you a taste of that Rye shine...

jog49
03-24-2016, 10:47 AM
What I can't understand is why someone would go in a liquor store and pay $36 for a jar of Tim's Climax moonshine when less money will buy you some premium liquor? It has to be the fascination of buying a product "as seen on TV"! LOL!
And yes, I have has a snort of Popcorn Sutton's production too. Couldn't even taste the possum that fell in and drown in the mash barrel.

Highside Hustler25
03-24-2016, 10:49 AM

The first season of Street Outlaws, they claimed that they were dodging the police until Discovery screwed up and mistakenly showed parked cop cars in the background. Now they openly admit that their are cops and emergency personnel on sight.
One of my favorite shows as well. Some call it fake but you can't fake a wheel stand launch with all 4 tires leaving the ground or some of the wrecks as well. Wait till the 2016 season opener. When Justin Shearer totaly destroys the crow in a violent barrel roll, ya can't fake that.

Moonshiners on the other hand?? I won't go there. If a television network was filming people making illegal booze out in the sticks, the bureau of AT&F would be on them like stink on sh1t

Bubstr
03-24-2016, 01:28 PM
I think your allowed to make 400 gallons a year legally, for home use. Not for sale and has to remain at the home. Selling or transporting it is a crime.

nc mudcat
03-25-2016, 07:04 AM
400 gallons for home use???

SFrancisFan15
03-25-2016, 07:09 AM
lol nc mudcat That's what I was thinking who in the world needs 400 gallons for home use in a year.

Bubstr
03-25-2016, 11:32 AM
If you made just one barrel a year and aged it for ten years, it would add up to 550 gallons on hand. That's not including and beer, wine or brandy. It still seems like a lot for the amount I consume now days. However, the last party I threw, we went threw a keg of beer and at least a couple gallons of booze and wine. When he was alive, Dad used to make really good wine and give it for Christmas gifts to the family. The Plum was exceptional. Tasted good and would knock your socks off. It was a blend of wine and brandy, made from the same fruit.

SFrancisFan15
03-25-2016, 01:22 PM
Not saying you're making stuff up Bubstr if you're giving some away, I understand, but that's so much booze for personal use I just find it absurd. I am coming from a non drinking family too, so what do I know.

One Man Gang
03-25-2016, 04:15 PM
Guys I might be wrong but I think a person is allowed to make 100 gallons if it's 1 person per household or 200 gallons if there 2 or more people but this only for beer or wine. A person cannot legally make moonshine without a distillation permit or permit to produce ethanol. It is illegal in all 50 states to possess a liquor still if I'm not mistaken.

One Man Gang
03-25-2016, 04:29 PM
As for the tv show if any of y'all is around Maggie Valley, NC the last weekend of July go by the hillbilly Woodstock, hillbilly jam, popcorn sutton moonshine festival, whatever the hell they calling it this year there is always several from the show that is there and will answer any questions you ask might not be totally truthful but they'll tell you something. I asked how legit it was and was told by digger and Chico that Discovery covered the cost of supplies needed and filming permits but once the cameras was turned off it had to be poured out.

dirty bert
03-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Poured out , right

One Man Gang
03-25-2016, 07:30 PM
That's what they said Bert heck I don't know lol

fastford
03-28-2016, 11:34 AM
it is illegal to distill alcohol ANY WHERE in the U.S. with out a permit. you can make beer or home brew , or mash , if you want to call it that, but when you cook it and distill alcohol with out a permit, you are breaking the law. ive herd this personal use theory for years and its bs , don't believe it? let a federal agent catch you and try telling him that. down here, all this apple pie bs has caused them to create a 6 man task force and they are hunting down stills right now. bad thing is, people are buying every clear 190 proof for 20 dollars a bottle and making 5 or 6 quarts of apple pie and selling it for 30 bucks a bottle, not even made out of real shine , but this is still boot legging and is whats causing all the trouble for the old moonshiners that are still left here.

jog49
03-28-2016, 03:20 PM
Any of you remember a lovely young lady, name not to be mentioned, that took orders at Cherokee for next day delivery of flavored shine? I recall you could order peach, apple, cherry, and cinnamon....all pretty good as best I can remember!

zach51
03-28-2016, 03:42 PM
This has turned into a Carolina family reunion. What a good read for an outsider like myself!

fastford
03-28-2016, 09:21 PM
This has turned into a Carolina family reunion. What a good read for an outsider like myself!

I guess im an outsider my self, ROLL TIDE........

drano
03-28-2016, 09:37 PM
Wilkesboro was known for good shine and guess what still is I know that to be true still to this day.

Barbecueboy
03-28-2016, 10:00 PM
I've heard that........

ksmitty79
03-28-2016, 10:49 PM
Can't leave off Johnston County. Few people in this area have been here long enough to know about Percy Flowers. He was known for some good stuff as well and didn't care if folks knew about it!

Old Smoky Moonshine is ran by the same guy that made Fiji water popular and PBR.. Part of Moonshine is the nostalgia of it. I don't know you but I would rather have something that is a one off then something that is mass produced in a warehouse in East Tn.

Barbecueboy
03-29-2016, 07:42 AM
Can't leave off Johnston County. Few people in this area have been here long enough to know about Percy Flowers. He was known for some good stuff as well and didn't care if folks knew about it!

Old Smoky Moonshine is ran by the same guy that made Fiji water popular and PBR.. Part of Moonshine is the nostalgia of it. I don't know you but I would rather have something that is a one off then something that is mass produced in a warehouse in East Tn.
Roger that smitty........most of then stuff you see on the shelves in liq. Stores is more marketing than it is even close " to the real deal".....almost all of it grain neutral spirits instead of corn or rye.

A few exceptions I've found are " Georgia moon, palmetto moon and found a really nice lineup of flavored shine products called mellow moonshine ......I'm partial to the coconut.

But to your point, nothing beats home made.