PDA

View Full Version : GATEWAY DIRT NATIONALS. Already ton of cars registered. 80 Late Model & 150 Modifieds

HoosierDirtFan
03-16-2016, 05:34 PM
Gateway Dirt Nationals
St. Louis, MO
www.gatewaydirt.com

According to the news link on the website there are already 80 UMP Super Late Models & 150 Modifieds registered. They are capping the entries at 150 Late Models & 250 Modifieds for a total of 400 cars. That is the maximum the convention center can hold.
Here is the Link - http://www.gatewaydirt.com/2016/03/16/gateway-dirt-nationals-draws-teams-quickly/

Barbecueboy
03-16-2016, 09:34 PM
Man I hope those numbers are legit.....even if preliminary.

Not sure it passes the sniff test quite yet , but I sure hope it does..........

a25rjr
03-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Man I hope those numbers are legit.....even if preliminary.

Not sure it passes the sniff test quite yet , but I sure hope it does..........

I think you should go and setup a barbecue stand.....show them mid-westerners some good Southern bbq! lol

stlracing
03-17-2016, 01:32 PM
Speaking of BBQ, St. Louis has two excellent BBQ places not too far from downtown.. Pappy's & Bogart's .. You won't be disappointed in either of those places!

FourDeepInTheFluff
03-17-2016, 02:32 PM
After living in Memphis my whole life I have been acclimated to BBQ since early on. Made the mistake of trying some Kansas City BBQ. After that I vowed to never try BBQ anywhere other than Memphis. With that said... I am looking forward to some Route 66 eatery though.

Barbecueboy
03-17-2016, 03:27 PM
I think you should go and setup a barbecue stand.....show them mid-westerners some good Southern bbq! lol

When we travel we normally have the equipment in the rig to do so..........as you well know, lol.

I love checking out all the different regions of BBQ goodness..........never been through the St. Louis area though and am anxious to try the local fare.

Going to be tough to beat some of the Carolina's, Georgia,and Tenessee BBQ I've been able to try........

Throw Texas in the with the brisket and beef ribs and IMO those states are the holy grail of good que.......IMO.

I'm sure there is plenty of great stuff out there every where......you just got to look for it.

Cardirt0
03-17-2016, 03:44 PM
Here in champaign il we had this place open 3 days a week, some old Black guy from down south has run it for years. He died so good BBQ here has Died.. Lived in Baton Rouge for 8 years so got Spoiled...

old fan
03-17-2016, 04:09 PM
Its all a matter of taste and what you came up with I like Ethys in Offallon mo

ptown
03-17-2016, 09:14 PM
150 modifieds.....I don't like the sound of that!

AllenK
03-17-2016, 09:38 PM
When we travel we normally have the equipment in the rig to do so..........as you well know, lol.

I love checking out all the different regions of BBQ goodness..........never been through the St. Louis area though and am anxious to try the local fare.

Going to be tough to beat some of the Carolina's, Georgia,and Tenessee BBQ I've been able to try........

Throw Texas in the with the brisket and beef ribs and IMO those states are the holy grail of good que.......IMO.

I'm sure there is plenty of great stuff out there every where......you just got to look for it.

BBQ Center in Lexington,NC is the best my wife and I have ever had. Cool restaurant too. We sampled several of the awesome BBQ restaurants in Lexington one night on vacation. Got really stuffed,and swore I would never eat BBQ again. The next night we went to Carolina Speedway,and we stopped at the BBQ King in Charlotte LOL. That place is awesome too.

I think 150 modifieds is a very low estimate. They will come out of the woodwork for that kind of money,and for the uniqueness of the event. Could be some long nights.

80 late models would be nice,but you sure don't see that kind of car count much these days.

old fan
03-17-2016, 09:42 PM
150 modifieds.....i don't like the sound of that! whats wrong with that

nightmare_begins
03-17-2016, 10:12 PM
The website says the limit on mods is 250 and supers 150. Could definetly see 200+ mods there. Theres a ton of supers in that area....I wouldnt be surprised to see 100+ supers. Have to take into account the uniqueness of the event. Everyone likes to do something for the first time. Think back to bristol and what those car counts were like. Plus i think with the size of the track you may have a very strong weekend warrior turnout. Either way my tickets are bought and December cant get here fast enough!!

Viper91
03-18-2016, 04:03 AM
Cardirt0 you don't like LI'L Porgy's

edavis71
03-18-2016, 04:05 AM
Where is the list for cars entered???

Fredfred Burger
03-18-2016, 05:25 AM
whats wrong with that

Lets do the math shall we. If they fill up both classes, there will be 400 cars. FOUR FREAKING HUNDRED.......INDOORS. A weekly track gets lets say 120 cars.Lets be generous and say the show is done in 4 hours. That's 30 cars an hour. 400 cars will take 13 hours to run. The chili bowl spends 4 days running 300 something cars. I smell a rat. Backdoor sanchez is returning from his indy invitational hump n dump. i considered competing, i was gonna go watch. I wont bother going. Mark my words it will be a DISASTER. BLO ME

huskerdirt
03-18-2016, 05:25 AM
Where is the list for cars entered???

Not listed yet.... But the teasers say it's pretty good.

I imagine they'll release it soon. Expect to have drivers from near and far on it.

old fan
03-18-2016, 06:51 AM
Lets do the math shall we. If they fill up both classes, there will be 400 cars. FOUR FREAKING HUNDRED.......INDOORS. A weekly track gets lets say 120 cars.Lets be generous and say the show is done in 4 hours. That's 30 cars an hour. 400 cars will take 13 hours to run. The chili bowl spends 4 days running 300 something cars. I smell a rat. Backdoor sanchez is returning from his indy invitational hump n dump. i considered competing, i was gonna go watch. I wont bother going. Mark my words it will be a DISASTER. BLO MEyou haven't seen the schedule have you many of the prelims are on Thursday http://www.stlracing.com/community/index.php?threads/gateway-dirt-nationals-schedule-of-events.228410/ and that is where the entry list stops doesn't man they will get that many though that's the max the place can hold

Josh Bayko
03-18-2016, 07:42 AM
I have a feeling the car counts aren't going to be as good as the pre-entry list. I mean, it's the week before Christmas, and the offseason is getting shorter and shorter ever year. Dudes are going want to spend time with their families over the holidays and use that time to recharge the equipment for 2017.

zeroracing
03-18-2016, 07:50 AM
Barbequeboy, pappys is supposed to be the place to go for ribs in Stl. I go to STL often for work but have not had a chance to swing in their yet, it is close to downtown.

SprintFun
03-18-2016, 08:34 AM
I would be a lot more interested in going if it was only late models. 250 modifieds? They'll be there until new years running.

Edit: They should make it a modified invitational of like 60.

CIRF
03-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Here in champaign il we had this place open 3 days a week, some old Black guy from down south has run it for years. He died so good BBQ here has Died.. Lived in Baton Rouge for 8 years so got Spoiled...The name of the place in Champaign, Illinois you mention was PoBoys. It was a couple of miles off The University of Illinois campus and when I was in school we would go down there on Sunday evenings after a weekend of partying and get ribs hoping it would get us feeling better before 8 o'clocks on Monday morning. It was a small place and there was a line out the door almost all the time. Most everyone got their food to go. Best BBQ I've ever had. Period. I'd bet the owner spent but very little on advertising. It was known far and wide.

Lets do the math shall we. If they fill up both classes, there will be 400 cars. FOUR FREAKING HUNDRED.......INDOORS. A weekly track gets lets say 120 cars.Lets be generous and say the show is done in 4 hours. That's 30 cars an hour. 400 cars will take 13 hours to run. The chili bowl spends 4 days running 300 something cars. I smell a rat. Backdoor sanchez is returning from his indy invitational hump n dump. i considered competing, i was gonna go watch. I wont bother going. Mark my words it will be a DISASTER. BLO MECan't imagine that many mortifieds. They used to get 75 or 80 mortifieds at Volusia during Speedweeks and it would sometimes take 45 minutes to run a heat race or B-main and it'd be 1:30 AM or later before we would get back to Port Orange.

The Chili Bowl runs a regular program with around 80 different cars a night for 4 nights straight. They start hot laps at 5 pm and it's usually 10 pm or later before the A-main is completed. I can't fathom trying to run over 100 cars in one class in one night, especially mortifieds. Then you've got the late models, too. Yikes!

cgrace
03-18-2016, 09:17 AM
anyone knowwhy they areonly selling tix for fri&Sat no tix for Thurs??

kidrock
03-18-2016, 09:18 AM
The name of the place in Champaign, Illinois you mention was PoBoys. It was a couple of miles off The University of Illinois campus and when I was in school we would go down there on Sunday evenings after a weekend of partying and get ribs hoping it would get us feeling better before 8 o'clocks on Monday morning. It was a small place and there was a line out the door almost all the time. Most everyone got their food to go. Best BBQ I've ever had. Period. I'd bet the owner spent but very little on advertising. It was known far and wide.

Can't imagine that many mortifieds. They used to get 75 or 80 mortifieds at Volusia during Speedweeks and it would sometimes take 45 minutes to run a heat race or B-main and it'd be 1:30 AM or later before we would get back to Port Orange.

The Chili Bowl runs a regular program with around 80 different cars a night for 4 nights straight. They start hot laps at 5 pm and it's usually 10 pm or later before the A-main is completed. I can't fathom trying to run over 100 cars in one class in one night, especially mortifieds. Then you've got the late models, too. Yikes!

Especially on a 1/5 mile track and people desperately wanting to make the show. Should make interesting though.

LMNED10
03-18-2016, 09:20 AM
I think I would be very skeptical of this right now, all these cars entered in three days and the biggest dirt late model race in the country only draws 100 cars or so now, so I will have to see some more info before I really believe it. They do not have enough time to run all this in the time they have announced and I also think that the car count will be low due to the fact that it is after PRI and also too close to Christmas. I just think are trying to hype it up early as ticket sales are not going like they thought. JMO

cgrace
03-18-2016, 09:23 AM
i bet they have them signed up. theres tons of racers in stlouis and illinois area quickeasy trip formost. much lesstravel time than to eldora plus onsmaller track theyall think they gotta chance

Ryan21mid
03-18-2016, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure why the car counts are so hard to believe. An event like this hasn't happened in 34 years. Between Highland, Pevely, Belleville, Tri-City, Macon, Quincy alone there has to be 30+ locals from the STL area running it. Add in out of town local drivers wanting to be apart of history, regional stars wanting a shot at 20k, and national guys intrigued by the money and lure of this huge event. Moyer JR, Pierce, Shirley and others have already announced they'll be there. On the mod side, 250 is very well attainable. DoD's hype and coverage of the event will only help as well. As far as time goes, I think they'll be fine with the format they're using. Only running 100 mods and 100 lates Friday and Saturday.

CIRF
03-18-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure why the car counts are so hard to believe. An event like this hasn't happened in 34 years. Between Highland, Pevely, Belleville, Tri-City, Macon, Quincy alone there has to be 30+ locals from the STL area running it. Add in out of town local drivers wanting to be apart of history, regional stars wanting a shot at 20k, and national guys intrigued by the money and lure of this huge event. Moyer JR, Pierce, Shirley and others have already announced they'll be there. On the mod side, 250 is very well attainable. DoD's hype and coverage of the event will only help as well. As far as time goes, I think they'll be fine with the format they're using. Only running 100 mods and 100 lates Friday and Saturday.

Oh, it's believable, for sure. That's what's bothersome.

zach51
03-18-2016, 10:21 AM
The DOD coverage will have to be 24 hours! Sounds like a fun couch potato weekend.

ptown
03-18-2016, 10:50 AM
So now some are saying 250 mortifieds, could be a record number of spinouts. Considering it's just 150 miles from home I'll wait until Fridays program has been completed to make my decision on whether to drive down Saturday.

stlracing
03-18-2016, 11:13 AM
By looking at the schedule of events at http://www.gatewaydirt.com/event-info/schedule-of-events/, they will be down to 100 mods and late models racing by Friday and Saturday..

WisWildManFan
03-18-2016, 11:27 AM
I'll look forward to this in the month of December... otherwise bring on the summer!

zeroracing
03-18-2016, 11:38 AM
The mods will put on a great show, I would bet a bunch of the USMTS type guys will come over from the Kansas City area. That side of the state mods out number late's 3:1. They usually are fast and put on a good show.

chupp n bloomer fan
03-18-2016, 12:03 PM
People are still so negative on the mods. Man, anymore, they are right there on putting on a good show.

zach51
03-18-2016, 12:18 PM
Agree with CNB on that for the most part, but a lot of "local" modifieds spin out a lot when trying to hang with the big dogs. I think you'll see a lot of "locals" here racing just because they'll have a chance to hang with the big dogs and it's December, nobody else has anything going on. Looking forward to watching online.

FourDeepInTheFluff
03-18-2016, 02:05 PM
Somewhere around half the cars will be done after Thursday. The general public cant get in to watch qualifying on Thursday anyway. It wont be that big of a deal. Do some research. Sometimes it helps.

old fan
03-18-2016, 02:23 PM
Agree with CNB on that for the most part, but a lot of "local" modifieds spin out a lot when trying to hang with the big dogs. I think you'll see a lot of "locals" here racing just because they'll have a chance to hang with the big dogs and it's December, nobody else has anything going on. Looking forward to watching online. And those guys will be done thursday night geuss what alot of the locals are the big dogs harrisonn hoffnans long walsh walsh all locals

zach51
03-18-2016, 02:33 PM
No $hit self-proclaimed Gateway Nationals Sherlock spokesperson old fan, that is why I put "locals" in quotes. To me, "locals" aren't your USMTS cars. I don't mean local to the area, I mean drivers that are every Friday/Saturday nighters at the same tracks all year. A dude that lives in BFE Iowa and runs BFE county speedway every weekend and has 3 kids and works for UPS 60 hours a week and doesn't have custom made mudcovers or a full wrap on his car, is my idea of a local.

Minny Lakes
03-18-2016, 02:53 PM
Seems odd they aren't selling tickets to the general public on Thursday. I didn't believe it so I looked on their site, and there it says they won't be selling tickets on Thursday but pit passes will be available. So does anyone have a clue why an event wouldn't sell tickets to the general public???

Cardirt0
03-18-2016, 03:01 PM
The name of the place in Champaign, Illinois you mention was PoBoys. It was a couple of miles off The University of Illinois campus and when I was in school we would go down there on Sunday evenings after a weekend of partying and get ribs hoping it would get us feeling better before 8 o'clocks on Monday morning. It was a small place and there was a line out the door almost all the time. Most everyone got their food to go. Best BBQ I've ever had. Period. I'd bet the owner spent but very little on advertising. It was known far and wide.

Can't imagine that many mortifieds. They used to get 75 or 80 mortifieds at Volusia during Speedweeks and it would sometimes take 45 minutes to run a heat race or B-main and it'd be 1:30 AM or later before we would get back to Port Orange.

Poboys thats it... Place was the best, Now i live 1/2 a block from it and is closed.. There Ribs were the Best and the Pulled Pork S... was the best.....

plunks7
03-18-2016, 03:34 PM
No $hit self-proclaimed Gateway Nationals Sherlock spokesperson old fan, that is why I put "locals" in quotes. To me, "locals" aren't your USMTS cars. I don't mean local to the area, I mean drivers that are every Friday/Saturday nighters at the same tracks all year. A dude that lives in BFE Iowa and runs BFE county speedway every weekend and has 3 kids and works for UPS 60 hours a week and doesn't have custom made mudcovers or a full wrap on his car, is my idea of a local.

I'm all in on this post. Very well said zach51 I would love for nothing more than have a Local Driver Win a Big race or even qualify for the feature.

dirtracerl77
03-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Our locals here are not USMTS cars. This is UMP land. I can say first hand most of our "locals" can hang with anyone. They all come from little BFE style towns, most people have not heard of. Many of them have to get up and put a lot of hours in at work, just to be able to do this thing we love. Most of the UMP national champions form the last few years have came from this area. This is all happening in our back yard. We will try our best to keep the money here. Fancy wraps and custom wheel covers don't win races.

jason54028
03-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Seems odd they aren't selling tickets to the general public on Thursday. I didn't believe it so I looked on their site, and there it says they won't be selling tickets on Thursday but pit passes will be available. So does anyone have a clue why an event wouldn't sell tickets to the general public??? I actually had asked this question on facebook and they got back to me with a very good response but i cant find it right now. But basically what i was told and also have seen them say on other posts is that they are not keeping anyone away from Thursday. If you want to see this part all you have to do is purchase a pit wrist band.

Barbecueboy
03-18-2016, 09:48 PM
People are still so negative on the mods. Man, anymore, they are right there on putting on a good show.

My favorite class.........by a pretty wide margin.

The skinny tire warriors get it done for me.......

Not saying the slm show doesn't raise a few hairs on my forearms, but I've always enjoyed the mods best.

Barbecueboy
03-18-2016, 09:50 PM
Our locals here are not USMTS cars. This is UMP land. I can say first hand most of our "locals" can hang with anyone. They all come from little BFE style towns, most people have not heard of. Many of them have to get up and put a lot of hours in at work, just to be able to do this thing we love. Most of the UMP national champions form the last few years have came from this area. This is all happening in our back yard. We will try our best to keep the money here. Fancy wraps and custom wheel covers don't win races.

I get what your saying and I hope a good local busts their a ssez........but guys that win a lot can afford the fancy wraps and custom wheel covers.........it's going to be tough sledding for the local contingent.

old fan
03-18-2016, 11:00 PM
nope its going be tough for the traveling guys must don't run a 1/5 mile bull ring

old fan
03-18-2016, 11:03 PM
I think I would be very skeptical of this right now, all these cars entered in three days and the biggest dirt late model race in the country only draws 100 cars or so now, so I will have to see some more info before I really believe it. They do not have enough time to run all this in the time they have announced and I also think that the car count will be low due to the fact that it is after PRI and also too close to Christmas. I just think are trying to hype it up early as ticket sales are not going like they thought. JMO look at the schedule of events plus friday and sat they start at 3 pm

old fan
03-18-2016, 11:07 PM
Oh, it's believable, for sure. That's what's bothersome. speaking from someone thats goes to a event that had how many flips this past jan

WisWildManFan
03-18-2016, 11:46 PM
If it's straight up starts w/o an invert traveling guys will wax locals even tho it's a bullring

old fan
03-19-2016, 08:25 AM
some travelling guys can't out there own way any more look at oneal francis lanigan for starts and if your talking mods no way in he11 I am sure 4 time national champion Mike Harrison will be there

jason54028
03-19-2016, 01:33 PM
It will all be over when the 20rt rolls in!

old fan
03-19-2016, 05:18 PM
dream on dream on

edavis71
03-19-2016, 05:33 PM
Maybe I am missing it but where is the list of drivers entered???

old fan
03-19-2016, 05:55 PM
I don't think it has been released yet and there are changes coming on a daily basis

NormP
03-19-2016, 07:23 PM
some travelling guys can't out there own way any more look at oneal francis lanigan for starts and if your talking mods no way in he11 I am sure 4 time national champion Mike Harrison will be there

If you had half a brain in your head you'd realize how stupid you sound. In Lanigan's case you can't base his career on one bad year and the other 2 spent too long driving for Bowyer the talent drain.

And as far as your 1/5 mile bullring comment, not many mod or super guys at all race on one. It's not that common of a distance. So your point was invalid.

old fan
03-19-2016, 09:01 PM
exactly so the guys that do will have the advantage 2 tracks in ILL ARE 1/5 TH MILE and if you have Bowyers money backing you should be I would better than a local driver

HoosierDirtFan
03-19-2016, 09:05 PM
exactly so the guys that do will have the advantage 2 tracks in ILL ARE 1/5 TH MILE and if you have Bowyers money backing you should be I would better than a local driver

MONEY and Banking don't = Talent

old fan
03-19-2016, 09:09 PM
true and on a 1/5 mile you need all talent no money and by the way if racer is on the fence now they gotta wait till next year they have reached the maximum one of the 1/5 miles last night drew 22 for 1500 to win not like smokey mountain paid 15k and got 27 cars or a track tonight paid 5 k to win and got 17

Barbecueboy
03-19-2016, 09:51 PM
true and on a 1/5 mile you need all talent no money and by the way if racer is on the fence now they gotta wait till next year they have reached the maximum one of the 1/5 miles last night drew 22 for 1500 to win not like smokey mountain paid 15k and got 27 cars or a track tonight paid 5 k to win and got 17
Using your logic then.......I'm picking the king Edwards fried chicken car for the win in the slm.

zyoung25
03-19-2016, 10:02 PM
true and on a 1/5 mile you need all talent no money

Now we know why Owens won at Macon last year.

old fan
03-19-2016, 10:30 PM
TRUE ON BOTH ACCOUNTS and mike looked real good last night before the rains and by the way Mike has the money he just won't spend it and now he can see again had cararacts removed

rickybrown1952
03-22-2016, 10:53 PM
The car count as of this afternoon 125 late models and 206 modifieds wow should be a great show

old fan
03-22-2016, 11:04 PM
Now we know why Owens won at Macon last year.what owens had no money there are many teams that wish they had his budget

WisWildManFan
03-22-2016, 11:22 PM
The car count as of this afternoon 125 late models and 206 modifieds wow should be a great showAll we need is a track now lol

Highside Hustler25
03-22-2016, 11:33 PM
The car count as of this afternoon 125 late models and 206 modifieds wow should be a great show

Would sure love to see that list of late models.

huskerdirt
03-23-2016, 12:04 AM

I think who is (and isn't) on the list will surprise you.

Ive heard of some crate and Wissota guys kicking around the idea of racing.

Samething on the modifieds.... You'll see some imca guys enter.

mll8pt
03-23-2016, 12:24 AM
Using your logic then.......I'm picking the king Edwards fried chicken car for the win in the slm.

the hammer wins that would be awesome bring back the war wagon,lol.

edavis71
03-23-2016, 12:52 AM

Same here!!!

old fan
03-23-2016, 06:00 AM
I think who is (and isn't) on the list will surprise you.Ive heard of some crate and Wissota guys kicking around the idea of racing.Samething on the modifieds.... You'll see some imca guys enter. no it would surprise you not me I see it about every weekend if I choose YOU don't need a motor on that size track

plunks7
03-23-2016, 10:18 PM
no it would surprise you not me I see it about every weekend if I choose YOU don't need a motor on that size track

Well we should add another driver then. Freddy Flintstone!!!!! LOL

old fan
03-23-2016, 10:34 PM
you don't have a clue do you

Barbecueboy
03-23-2016, 10:55 PM
Well we should add another driver then. Freddy Flintstone!!!!! LOL

Duval could probably win it!!!

Highside Hustler25
03-24-2016, 09:38 AM
I think who is (and isn't) on the list will surprise you.

Ive heard of some crate and Wissota guys kicking around the idea of racing.

Samething on the modifieds.... You'll see some imca guys enter.

I agree. I'd expect more than 1/2 of those late model entries are crates. Not that it's a bad thing. Just think most touring guys are burned out by then, not to mention it's right before X Mas.
I am a lil surprised at some of the locals that have verbally committed.

plunks7
03-24-2016, 12:31 PM
you don't have a clue do you

Oh yes I do!!! Litey did it in bathroom with his hand. :) :)