PDA

View Full Version : Tear offs?

Matt49
03-19-2016, 10:23 AM
Looking for opinions on Racing Optics stack tear offs. Looks like the way to go since you don't have to worry about dust getting between tear offs. My on concern is the way you tear them off. I always loop my thumb hole under the tear off above it (if that makes sense) so that I can't possibly pull off more than one. How does the Racing Optics setup deal with this? With gloves on, it is about impossible to feel how many thumb hoops you've got when tearing off.

Matt49
03-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Nevermind...just found this video...works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnfZdg2bPCU

collateralDamage
03-19-2016, 01:13 PM
yes, same deal. when it's muddy, stack the cheap tearoffs on top of the good R.O.s.

rakracing
03-19-2016, 02:49 PM
matt when you fold them under press and crease them to keep the stack smaller, wind will pop them up, there real thin hard to feel with glove this helps in not grabbing the whole stack, which ive done more then ever with these compared to the old style

RacerX10
03-19-2016, 11:11 PM
Looking for opinions on Racing Optics stack tear offs. Looks like the way to go since you don't have to worry about dust getting between tear offs. My on concern is the way you tear them off. I always loop my thumb hole under the tear off above it (if that makes sense) so that I can't possibly pull off more than one. How does the Racing Optics setup deal with this? With gloves on, it is about impossible to feel how many thumb hoops you've got when tearing off.

I cut the last 1" or so off my racing gloves on the right hand index finger. Probably not the best for safety, but I got tired of ripping off a whole pack of expensive and necessary tear-offs 30 seconds into a race.

powerslide
03-20-2016, 12:18 PM
Pull slow and steady don't give a sudden yank. They will all be gone if you do. It's a big help on hammer down tracks. Dusty I don't pull maybe 1-2 so it's not as much of a benefit

Matt49
03-20-2016, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the input guys. With traditional tear offs, I can't start with more than 4 or 5. It seems like the glare gets worse the more tear offs I have on. And then dust starts to get between them no matter how tight I have them. Seems like the Racing Optics may be the way to go. I usually don't "yank" the tear offs anyway. I've stripped tear off posts completely off the backing screw doing that.
Again, thanks for the input!

riddle28
03-21-2016, 06:32 AM
just make sure you have the aluminum posts they wont work with the plastic ones

Dirtmod13
03-21-2016, 09:18 AM
Another good way to stop dust under the tear offs is to use a 10" strip of electrical tape and stick it to the visor but overlap onto the tear offs just an 1/8" or so so the tear offs can slide out easily. Sort of makes a seal for them. Wish I could figure out how to get pics uploaded from my iPhone, the forum doesn't let pics load , anyone else have this issue?

7uptruckracer
03-21-2016, 09:19 AM
I like the X Stack. Comes in 10s really clear. Don't make the mistake I did once and put my stack with the tabs to the right....doesn't work for me....I shut the car off when I ripped a tear off off and hit the switch lol dropping a car off the bars all the sudden was not a fun thing....

Austin34471
03-21-2016, 10:18 AM
There is a "right side up" as well. Pull up one of the tearoffs just a little bit so you can feel which side is a little sticky and which side has no adhesion feel to it. Obviously want the sticky sides down or else dust will stick to it a lot easier.

Matt49
03-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. I've been making my own tear off posts for quite some time. I leave a lip on both sides so that the tear offs don't slip between the post and the visor. And I step it up to a size 6 machine screw which (to me) seems less likely to strip out when tightening. It does require drilling the holes in the visor a little bigger.

Sanguinary72
03-21-2016, 08:53 PM
Sort of off topic but it relates. This year I am trying the Pulse ramp for tear offs. Simple idea but I think it will work well. http://www.pulseracinginnovations.com/

TRocket8
03-22-2016, 09:45 PM
The "racing optics" wording on the tear offs go to the left side of the helmet

Chris Steele
03-23-2016, 09:39 AM
I keep the cheap tear offs and the Racing Optic tear offs in my trailer...use two or three cheap ones if track is good and not much mud and the RO if I feel like I need 4 or more for a feature. Can start out with 10 stack for hot laps and heat race and still have 4-6 for the feature. I'll even take them off before the feature and clean the shield and put them back on so there's no dust between them and the shield. They aint cheap so I stretch them as far as I can.

keeks
03-25-2016, 05:45 PM
The pulse ramp works great.

rakracing
03-25-2016, 08:03 PM
thanks for the pulse website, bought one and installed today, should pay for itself with all the times I pulled a new pack off

RacerX10
03-25-2016, 09:53 PM
thanks for the pulse website, bought one and installed today, should pay for itself with all the times I pulled a new pack off

I just ordered one too :)

zeroracing
03-25-2016, 09:59 PM
I ordered mine.