PDA

View Full Version : Boom Briggs

Kwoods25
04-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Has anyone seen his car he wrecked in qualifying?

Kwoods25
04-03-2016, 05:30 PM
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=577332889107654&id=100004928438467&set=a.116078655233082.20375.100004928438467&source=48&ref=bookmarks

MI Dirt Fan
04-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Gonna need a new rear clip for sure

reid boys
04-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Video of wreck on dod

GRT32
04-03-2016, 07:08 PM
Looks like he caught the end of a concrete wall. Open gates and the end of walls around the outside of tracks should never be allowed. Insurance should enforce this.

zyoung25
04-03-2016, 07:45 PM
https://m.facebook.com/OfficialDirtTrackRacing/?ref=bookmarks

Video here too that don't have DoD

GRT24
04-03-2016, 07:51 PM
Another shot from the trailer

Kwoods25
04-03-2016, 08:23 PM
Zyoung looks like he hit the tires before wall

Matt49
04-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Looks like he caught the end of a concrete wall. Open gates and the end of walls around the outside of tracks should never be allowed. Insurance should enforce this.

There's a lot of things that could end dirt racing as we know it: The EPA, urban sprawl, lack of promotion, etc. But track safety should be enforced at any expense, even if it is ultimately detrimental to the sport. Our safety equipment protects us from many poorly designed racing facilities but it shouldn't have to. And you shouldn't destroy a race car for missing your mark by 6 inches which is exactly what it appears Boom Briggs did. I'm not asking for "bumper bowling" but come on, people!

BadlandsBandit12
04-03-2016, 08:54 PM
I have always hated those big tires on track, There is no place for them. If you want to protect a barrier there are better solutions. That track should have been straight with concrete wall, there is no question. After seeing that I wouldn't race there and I don't have a race car.

zyoung25
04-03-2016, 09:01 PM

From the looks of it, he did.

Atomic/kc used to have something similar to this a few years ago. I'm not sure if those tires are planted or filled with anything or not, I never have been to FC. Atomic has buried their tires about halfway in the ground. Which I think it a better idea than just having them sit then, or having them filled with something.

Highside Hustler25
04-03-2016, 09:14 PM

He did hit tires first. There are 3 total. The one he took out, well lets say he booted it. Brutal hit. Had his wrist taped up with a ice pack. Other than that seemed ok.

As far as the track, you've gotta be up over the berm to catch that tire. Sounded like he never lifted from where I was.

TheJet-09
04-04-2016, 12:03 AM
Glad he's alright. Same obviously can't be said for the car, but it did it's job. Especially with the fuel cell back there, it could've been much worse. I'm sure I've never turned a lap as fast as Briggs there, but I (and am sure others) have gotten over the edge on the back straight and ended up just staying to the right and driving off into the pits. Once you're over too far you can't get the car back to the left.

HoosierDirtFan
04-04-2016, 12:04 AM
I was there happened right in front of me in turn 3 Sheared off the frame behind the cage. What you see in the pictures in back; the frame was basically dangling there just hanging on. Crazy He went tot tune into 3 and the back of the car caught the huge tires blocking the edge of the wall and ripped the tail of the car off.

turnleftandgasit
04-04-2016, 07:57 AM
I believe it was Snooki Dehm, who blasted this wall a ton. Direct hit to the passenger door if I remember correctly.

AnonymousNate
04-04-2016, 10:37 AM
dammm that had to be one hard hit! Glad there's no further injury's than a hurt wrist!

cumminsman08
04-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Glad he's alright. Same obviously can't be said for the car, but it did it's job. Especially with the fuel cell back there, it could've been much worse. I'm sure I've never turned a lap as fast as Briggs there, but I (and am sure others) have gotten over the edge on the back straight and ended up just staying to the right and driving off into the pits. Once you're over too far you can't get the car back to the left.

Thank goodness the brakes didn't have any heat in them and this was during a qualifying session, with fuel everywhere I'm sure during a feature with everything being hot could've been a lot worse.. especially how the fuel cell got thrown towards the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit..

Glad he's alright and the car can be replaced, either way a bad situation...

zach51
04-04-2016, 11:19 AM
I wonder if that is the one that fell off the trailer last year, maybe it was already weak in the rear (I'm kind of kidding but not really)

pap
04-04-2016, 12:27 PM
I wonder if that is the one that fell off the trailer last year, maybe it was already weak in the rear (I'm kind of kidding but not really)

Not sure about the trailer (I wondered the same thing) but I read it was the one he flipped at Lernerville. (may be wrong on the track, but it had been flipped before)

pap
04-04-2016, 12:30 PM
And for what it's worth, two BAD crashes this weekend, and both drivers walked away....... Congrats to Longhorn, and all the chassis builders who look for safety as well as being fast!!

bonz45
04-04-2016, 01:42 PM
Lots of hard luck for this guy the last few yrs. Saw him roll at Lernerville in 2014 and 2015...

Kwoods25
04-04-2016, 06:19 PM
I wondered if it was the one that fell off the lift gate aswell. It may be designed to break right there, but to me I don't think it should have . wouldn't you think the RR axle tube would have broke. Wheel bent, something other than the frame snapping?

kidrock
04-04-2016, 06:40 PM
I wondered if it was the one that fell off the lift gate aswell. It may be designed to break right there, but to me I don't think it should have . wouldn't you think the RR axle tube would have broke. Wheel bent, something other than the frame snapping?

There's a good article on DoD and he didn't say anything about this being the car that fell off the lift but, did say it was the one he flipped at Learnerville

Crashmagnet
04-04-2016, 06:54 PM
I saw this a lot different than you guys. Been involved in every aspect of dirt racing, starting in the early 80's, that wasn't a hard enough hit to cut a car into. I'm not picking on whoever built it, don't know what he runs. It's more of an indictment on the status of what makes a competitive chassis today than anything. They're too flimsy, and this is coming at a time when suspension systems and engines are at their pinnacle. I sadly predict that's it's only a matter of time until we lose one of our bright stars in an accident that also isn't that bad.

BTExpress
04-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Crash, I am no mechanical expert when it comes to racing, but that was my first thought when I saw the video the first time....just shocked on how much damage was caused. I understand that the exact angle of the hit was a factor,,,, but boy that car seemed trashed from what appeared not to be that hard of a hit.

Highside Hustler25
04-04-2016, 07:23 PM
Actually, the chassis broke exactly where it is designed to in such a impact. The rest of the car was completely intact. The rear clip basically broke free from the cage. That absorbed most of the impact as it's designed to do.

Highside Hustler25
04-04-2016, 07:26 PM
Crashmagnet, that was one of them fancy Longhorns. Or Shorthorn.

kidrock
04-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Actually, the chassis broke exactly where it is designed to in such a impact. The rest of the car was completely intact. The rear clip basically broke free from the cage. That absorbed most of the impact as it's designed to do.

Exactly, and thankfully for Boom it did. Because the if not it could have been much worse for him.

zyoung25
04-04-2016, 07:58 PM
If that car doesn't break where it did.....imagine the shock his body would've taken from that impact. It probably would've tossed the car back the other direction and rolled.

Highside Hustler25
04-04-2016, 08:05 PM
If that car doesn't break where it did.....imagine the shock his body would've taken from that impact. It probably would've tossed the car back the other direction and rolled.

You're so right. He's lucky that he struck the tire with the rear of the car and not at the door. That would have been really bad. You have to realize, behind those tires is a concrete wall for support. It doesn't give much. I have never seen a uke tire move that fast. That's how hard he hit it. Boom was really lucky.