PDA

View Full Version : gearing

kslle
04-13-2016, 05:57 PM
this may be a dumb question but i see both sides of the answer and keep second guessing myself
if you run a 6-37gear in a heat race and track turns super slick would a 6-32 or lower be better to help wheel spin or the other direction and go higher keeping rpm high
thanks for your opinion

MBR Performance
04-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Reducing your gear can have a big effect on how well the car rotates the corner especially from the middle out.

Matt49
04-13-2016, 08:49 PM
Gear for the track and not its condition.
Yes, if the track slows down you may want MORE gear to get you off the corner.
And yes, if the track slows down you may want LESS gear to control wheel spin.
So to me, it's a wash...

mod88s
04-13-2016, 10:49 PM
Slicker track more gear. For alot of reasons

TheJet-09
04-14-2016, 12:29 AM
Like most things there's probably a sweet spot dictated by the track, your driving style, horse power, etc. Bloomquist said you gear a car for corner entrance not exit. Of course if I had his horse power! I look at a slick track as having shorter straights since you're not in the gas as long, which would call for more gear. Too much and the natural braking of the engine will break your rear tires loose on entry. Too little and you can't get slowed down enough which requires too much foot braking so you risk locking up the fronts or the rears. I read on here that Erb says he doesn't change gear unless it's at least 20 point (like a 6.20 to a 6.40). From what I see most guys run the same gear the entire night.