PDA

View Full Version : Spongey brakes

Dirttracker5
04-17-2016, 11:51 AM
could the master cylinder cause spongey brakes? Replaced all brake lines and bled them multiple times and can't seem to get the spongey out of them. Need advice thanks

Punisher88
04-17-2016, 12:13 PM
Do you have braided lines or hard lines?

Dirttracker5
04-17-2016, 01:41 PM
Hard everywhere except going to each wheel which are braided

TheJet-09
04-17-2016, 01:47 PM
Air compresses and fluid doesn't so I would have to suspect there is still air in the system somewhere. You can do things like lower the front or rear of the car (about to the ground) when bleeding that half of the system to help everything go "downhill." I would believe a M/C problem would present more as a dropping pedal (unable to hold pressure). Have you ran the pads yet that are on there? If there is a misalignment issue (even slight) the pedal's going to be mushy as the pad is not hitting the rotor entirely. That should go away after a night or two.

papier
04-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Do you have brake bias gauges? If so bleed at them. They are mounted higher and air can get trapped there.

grt74
04-17-2016, 02:23 PM
we had this problem one time and just coundnt find it,turns out the snout on the rear end was cracked (from someone getting into me) and it didn't show itself for a few weeks,brakes would be fine in the shop,go to a race pedal would almost go to the floor,it was the rotor wobbling or run out,it was along time ago and a learning lesson but thought i would share,and that is why you should check and repack your bearings often also

Doc88D
04-17-2016, 07:16 PM
Bench bleed the Master Cylinders. It's a must before being installed. If not you will never get the hard pedal.

mod88s
04-18-2016, 12:00 PM
Agree with bench bleed the master.

fast_crew
04-19-2016, 07:10 PM
I know it sounds simple..but are your bleeders on the top of the calipers or the bottom?? I've seen it before...

Lizardracing
04-19-2016, 11:20 PM
I know it sounds simple..but are your bleeders on the top of the calipers or the bottom?? I've seen it before...

I've also seen where the stock bleeders port arent drilled at the top as well allowing for an air pocket to exist.