PDA

View Full Version : Starter gears (in nose cone assembly)

RacerX10
04-19-2016, 04:32 PM
With the actual starter motor removed from the nose cone assembly, and the solenoid removed, should the gears in the nose cone assembly turn freely ? Typical tilton / quartermaster type HD starter.

Mine aren't .. and when it's all assembled, the gear doesn't pop out like it should when the starter engages (starter is on test bench, not in car)

Ideas ? When I took the nose cone off, it looks pretty dirty / dusty / corroded in there. Do they typically need cleaning ? It's a pretty old starter, but was working fine last I used it (2 years ago)

If I'm going to clean it, does it need grease in there of some sort ?

Thanks !

RacerX10
04-19-2016, 08:11 PM
.. it looks just like this one :
http://www.cpgnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/UltraDuty-Starter-300x194.jpg

Lizardracing
04-19-2016, 11:24 PM
That the Bendix gear and yes it needs to move freely.

The gear comes out and pushes the idler gear into the flywheel.

Use light silicone based grease and remember any excess will be flung into places it not need to be in.

When you get it back together and working well cover all the joints and screw heads with RTV to keep the water out when powr washing the car.

RacerX10
04-20-2016, 07:43 AM
That the Bendix gear and yes it needs to move freely.

The gear comes out and pushes the idler gear into the flywheel.

Use light silicone based grease and remember any excess will be flung into places it not need to be in.

When you get it back together and working well cover all the joints and screw heads with RTV to keep the water out when powr washing the car.

Will do .. thanks Lizard !

RacerX10
05-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Just thought I'd follow up .. Cleaned out that nose cone and gears with kerosene and let it dry, lubed it all up with silicone based grease and now everything is working great. Before doing this the starter did not operate properly.