PDA

View Full Version : Metric car track width

kfactor239
04-25-2016, 07:11 AM
I have a 60" floater and I stringed the chassis yesterday and I found out the right rear sticks out past my right front 1" and my left rear sticks out 2". My thought rather than spend the money on new wheels I would just put a 1" spacer on the right rear so it would be the same as the left rear. Any thoughts or advice on this? I might be off a bit I think I might measure again but either way the left rear is clearly out further than the left front. Any help would be appreciated. As it sits now I believe (I haven't raced it yet) it will be loose going in and tight coming off.

JustAddDirt
04-25-2016, 08:09 AM
put Camaro/Impala spindles on front. Will also help with camber.
Camaro/Impala spindles are taller than Metric's, and also will add width.

kfactor239
04-25-2016, 09:00 AM
How did that run on the track with the or out 3"? I'm thinking I'll just run it and see how it does.

kfactor239
04-25-2016, 09:04 AM
I measured it from the outside of the tread. I lauded tow plates against the tires and ran a string parallel to the left and right rear. Measured from the string.

kfactor239
04-25-2016, 09:06 AM
Laid not lauded. Lol

JustAddDirt
04-25-2016, 10:34 AM
And require you to move the upper a arm mounts or get different a arms entirely.

Then your rr would be in too far and lr wouldn't be out 2 inches any more so Id get a different rearend to match the new front if you changed it..

My lr was out 3" for a few years... by design.

nothing is ever easy.
I think a 58" rear end fits well under a metric.. I THINK

ric78
04-25-2016, 11:36 AM
This question along with a what spring question will have a million different answers. None wrong or right although it will get argued. You just need to try some different combos and see what works best for you and your track. I always went with the theory the front should track wider than the rear.We ran a 60" floater, 3" offset on LF, LR, RR. 1 " spacer on both fronts and a 1" offset on the RF. All metric suspension parts. Again this is just a suggestion worked very well for us may not be what you need. Take some of the responses and try them out.

fastford
04-25-2016, 02:00 PM
no matter what im running, I always like to start with left wheels in line and right rear in 2' from right front, was always best starting point for me, like ric78 said , might not work for you though......

RCJ
04-27-2016, 07:08 AM
R/r in at least 1'' ,l/r out at least 1" is my base line no matter what.Our L/M has the r/r in 6''

SuperDuke
04-28-2016, 05:59 AM
Never Never have the right rear outside of the right front. It creates an unstable setup you end up overcompensating for elsewhere ultimately slowing your car down. I run heads up on the right for tacky and then start moving the right front out as the track gets slicker. I'm always running the left rear out at least 1 inch and will move it out more to tighten the car even further if needed.

dave41
04-29-2016, 11:15 AM
that 1 inch is leverage to weaken spring by 12 lbs

SuperDuke
04-29-2016, 05:37 PM
That's a really key fact Dave if it holds true across most cars. It seems counter to what actually happens on the track. I do observe tightening when moving the right front or left rear out. So from that I take it even though I am technically taking cross out there something bigger at play? I know as you move a left rear out it "softens" the effect of stagger at the rear (makes the circle bigger for same given stagger by increasing width between two wheels). What else?

dave41
05-02-2016, 01:39 PM
superduke , your knowledge is growing in right direction . I like my r. front to clean path for r. rear. 58 inch wheel base takes less stagger than 60 inch