PDA

View Full Version : clutch sticking

hughesracing9
04-26-2016, 09:52 AM
What would cause my clutch to stick when releasing? goes down fine, no disruption in gear changes, but it pops back, sometimes my foot is completely off and the pedal will be returned, but the clutch will still be engaged.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Racing-Clutch-Hydraulic-Throwout-Bearing,43211.html?sku=91025602&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&catargetid=530009170000095519&cadevice=c&gclid=CNOnqrnGrMwCFRCRaQodeMwMdA

This is the bearing im using, never had problems with it until i changed bell housings. its on all threads with nuts as spacers, I have just under 1/8" clearance as specified.

Lizardracing
04-26-2016, 11:42 AM
You didn't mention the type of clutch nor the amount of movement from the TO to disengage it. That style TO can push out far enough to over center the clutch finger making it pop or stick. You can fix that in a couple ways. You can limit the clutch pedal travel with a pedal stop or adjusting it at the MC, add more TO to clutch clearance, or at a last resort reduce the M/C bore. My advice would be add 1/16 TO to clutch clearance and add a pedal stop. Jack up the car and have some one get into the car, put it in a gear and push the clutch in while you rotate the rear tires. Have the assistance slowly let off the clutch pedal until drag is felt on the rear tires. Have the assistant depress the clutch pedal until the rear tires rotate again and set the pedal stop there. The idea is too only disengage the clutch far enough to get it in/out of gear. There's no need to go further except to increase the wear and pedal effort.

The above assumes the system is in good mechanical working shape. The M/C, lines, TO, and the transmission bell housing is aligned on the block and the Bell Housing is hole is aligned with the crank. If not that needs addressing first.