PDA

View Full Version : shock ?

hipower17
04-27-2016, 08:04 AM
lets say on the right rear your shock valving is 5 comp. 5 rebound. if i add a second shock with the same valving will it still be 5 comp 5 rebound or with both shocks combined would it be 10 comp and 10 rebound?

Matt49
04-27-2016, 09:39 AM
First of all, shock valving numbers like "5" are very arbitrary.
Secondly, it all depends on where the shock is mounted as to how much dampening will translate to the wheel. It's all about motion ratios because of the way the birdcage indexes.

GRT62
04-27-2016, 09:41 AM
there are a lot of variables that come into play when you mount multiple shocks if there was an advantage to running 2 shocks on the right rear touring teams would have been doing it years ago besides the fact that its probably cheaper to have the shock re valved to what your looking for its illegal now to run multiple shock on any corner beside LR

MasterSbilt_Racer
04-27-2016, 11:20 AM
there are a lot of variables that come into play when you mount multiple shocks if there was an advantage to running 2 shocks on the right rear touring teams would have been doing it years ago besides the fact that its probably cheaper to have the shock re valved to what your looking for its illegal now to run multiple shock on any corner beside LR

There was a time I ran two shocks and two springs on the RR. It helped before we got the rf nose down.

RCJ
04-27-2016, 11:35 AM
It would be in the direction of a 10/10.As stated, because of the mounting points effecting the ratios its hard to say.Could be stiffer than a 10 also.

MasterSbilt_Racer
04-28-2016, 07:15 AM
If your two shocks are on the same place on the birdcage, then you will have twice the force of one. Now is 2×5=10? That depends on the shock curves for the 5 and the 10. If linear, than probably yes.

JustAddDirt
04-28-2016, 10:07 AM
There was a time I ran two shocks and two springs on the RR. It helped before we got the rf nose down.

I remember MasterSbilt running a spring shock in standard position on birdcage, and another clamped to the axle tube facing backwards with a coil over on it as well.
I think John Gill was driving the house car when they were toying with that deal.
they where about unbeaten at Brownstown Speedway with it.

MasterSbilt_Racer
04-28-2016, 10:18 AM
I remember MasterSbilt running a spring shock in standard position on birdcage, and another clamped to the axle tube facing backwards with a coil over on it as well.
I think John Gill was driving the house car when they were toying with that deal.
they where about unbeaten at Brownstown Speedway with it.

Sounds like the same thing I had.