PDA

View Full Version : McKay Wenger Press Release

mckaywenger.com
05-10-2016, 02:51 PM
MWR is a small UMP Super Dirt Late Model team from Central, IL. We noticed that many were concerned on why we chose to race where we did last weekend. I want to explain this so people will understand how our team works. I base every decision I make for my team strictly off finances. I have to race week in and week out wherever I can make money to pay the bills, as we all know racing is very expensive. We race night by night using the earnings from the night before to keep the car maintained for the next. So you ask why would we drive 4 hours south and go past a big money show Friday night? The deal is the last 3 nights out we have not been running good, so we don't have the funds to line up at a 5k show. Big money races are expensive to run, you need to have a good piece, some fresh tires and you also need to realize pit passes are more expensive and sometimes there is also a entry fee involved. So if we can run a few hours down to a local show which is paying 1500$,1000,700, which I consider a really good paying local show and buy a couple pit passes for 25$ why not? We finished 2nd that night and took home 1000$ and we did it on used tires and a little bit of diesel in truck. We would have had to out run 44 cars at FCR Friday to make 1000$. Nights like that keep us going, we have bills to pay to keep racing. I am a proud supporter of local DLM racing and that's what local racing needs, guys to go do some traveling and support your smaller tracks that need cars. Support the promotors trying to get DLM at their tracks. We have upgraded our truck and trailer this season so we can do some traveling. I enjoy being on the road and racing with my friends, I want to race WoO or Lucas but we are no where near that level in any aspects, so what's the big deal with hoping in the truck and heading to a new place to race and meeting new people? These local tracks all need support too. Big shows are cool and everything but they don't pay the bills and keep you racing unless you can line up. I wasn't planing on going to FALS Saturday because I knew we wouldn't be able to line up and I was going to lose money. We still had the same motor in the car since last July, I like to be prepared for all races especially the big ones we attend. But I made the decision to go to keep the Fans and the home town crowd happy, we didn't have a good night and lost half the money we made the night before. We like attending local shows and racing against the average guy that has the same things in common with us, working full time and on a budget. We do plan to run for a UMP championship this year and with working full time we cannot take off work to run the entire Summer Nationals schedule so right now we have to get in as many races as we can. I really thank everyone for their support and was flattered to see that people actually care where we race and what we are doing. We are putting in a fresh motor this week and will be at Farmer City Friday night, if your ever at a track that we are stop by the car and chat! It's always great to meet some new people.
Thank you
McKay Wenger

Hoosier_Dirt
05-10-2016, 02:54 PM
Well said!! Good luck the rest of the season.

WisWildManFan
05-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Great response Mckay! Met you last year at the Illini 100 and bought a shirt from you. Really hit me when you said you work full time, not many guys that run as well as you can say that. We will be pulling for The Reaper when we are in attendance.

kidrock
05-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Excellent post and always like watching the Reaper in action. I heard you were at Lincoln a few weeks ago and was sorry I missed it.

ptown
05-10-2016, 03:35 PM
McKay, good luck to you wherever you decide to run but please don't air your complaints via Facebook about the happenings during the Kevin Weaver flip and red flag at Farmer City the previous week, it makes you look like a whiner and sore loser and gives people a reason to criticize you like you did the track, Farmer City like you is barely able to cover their expenses on a week to week basis and is ran by a lot of hard working volunteers.

Remember you are the 2015 Farmer City track champion.

mckaywenger.com
05-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Thank you, FCR is like home. I like everyone there and think they do a great job. I just witnessed a very bad call while being a spectator and was upset it happened. We can all learn and move on.

Barbecueboy
05-10-2016, 04:54 PM
MWR is a small UMP Super Dirt Late Model team from Central, IL. We noticed that many were concerned on why we chose to race where we did last weekend. I want to explain this so people will understand how our team works. I base every decision I make for my team strictly off finances. I have to race week in and week out wherever I can make money to pay the bills, as we all know racing is very expensive. We race night by night using the earnings from the night before to keep the car maintained for the next. So you ask why would we drive 4 hours south and go past a big money show Friday night? The deal is the last 3 nights out we have not been running good, so we don't have the funds to line up at a 5k show. Big money races are expensive to run, you need to have a good piece, some fresh tires and you also need to realize pit passes are more expensive and sometimes there is also a entry fee involved. So if we can run a few hours down to a local show which is paying 1500$,1000,700, which I consider a really good paying local show and buy a couple pit passes for 25$ why not? We finished 2nd that night and took home 1000$ and we did it on used tires and a little bit of diesel in truck. We would have had to out run 44 cars at FCR Friday to make 1000$. Nights like that keep us going, we have bills to pay to keep racing. I am a proud supporter of local DLM racing and that's what local racing needs, guys to go do some traveling and support your smaller tracks that need cars. Support the promotors trying to get DLM at their tracks. We have upgraded our truck and trailer this season so we can do some traveling. I enjoy being on the road and racing with my friends, I want to race WoO or Lucas but we are no where near that level in any aspects, so what's the big deal with hoping in the truck and heading to a new place to race and meeting new people? These local tracks all need support too. Big shows are cool and everything but they don't pay the bills and keep you racing unless you can line up. I wasn't planing on going to FALS Saturday because I knew we wouldn't be able to line up and I was going to lose money. We still had the same motor in the car since last July, I like to be prepared for all races especially the big ones we attend. But I made the decision to go to keep the Fans and the home town crowd happy, we didn't have a good night and lost half the money we made the night before. We like attending local shows and racing against the average guy that has the same things in common with us, working full time and on a budget. We do plan to run for a UMP championship this year and with working full time we cannot take off work to run the entire Summer Nationals schedule so right now we have to get in as many races as we can. I really thank everyone for their support and was flattered to see that people actually care where we race and what we are doing. We are putting in a fresh motor this week and will be at Farmer City Friday night, if your ever at a track that we are stop by the car and chat! It's always great to meet some new people.
Thank you
McKay Wenger
New fan in the southeast.........well said and good luck in your efforts.

Shoot me a pm when time allows and give me a good mailing address , want to buy a couple shirts.....will send money to cover the shirts and the shipping when you have time to send them.

TackyTracker
05-10-2016, 04:55 PM
yep it's best we do that... GL on the season kid

SHOE32
05-10-2016, 06:24 PM
To many people on here don't understand the cost of owning a race team. They see the big rigs and multiple cars inside the rigs,and think that is a normal racer. They don't realize most of the time that equipment is owned by backers with ample money. The real facts are if you are a weekly racer, like yourself,the weekly purses are what keep you going,not a rich car owner. I tried racing, and I respect the self founded guys a lot more knowing the sacrifices just to show up each week.Do your own thing and don't worry about the ones that will never get it.We,the real race fans respect you.good luck.

dirtdobber45
05-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Hope this season will be a great season for you bud

fryefan
05-10-2016, 08:38 PM
You should not have to explain yourself (ignore the knuckleheads). With that being said, I understand why you did.

I hope you keep coming to Quincy on Sunday nights, because you make the show a better event. Good luck to you and your team throughout the season.

waaac77
05-11-2016, 12:35 PM
New fan in the southeast.........well said and good luck in your efforts.

Shoot me a pm when time allows and give me a good mailing address , want to buy a couple shirts.....will send money to cover the shirts and the shipping when you have time to send them.

New fan here as well in the north country. Hope you can make it to the USA Nationals at Cedar Lake Speedway someday

Hawk12
05-11-2016, 01:45 PM
this is the kind of driver that the FansFund in Cedar Lake should support to race in the USA Nats.

kidrock
05-11-2016, 02:25 PM
this is the kind of driver that the FansFund in Cedar Lake should support to race in the USA Nats.

I agree 100%

pap
05-11-2016, 02:54 PM
Like BBQ and Waaac stated, You have a new fan here!! Only seen videos of you racing and you look d@mn good, but I'm going to make sure I see you race in the future!!

HoosierDirtFan
05-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Thank you
McKay Wenger

Great post. Hope to see you come back to Eldora for the World 100 some day. See ya at FALS.

Barbecueboy
05-11-2016, 06:04 PM

Bam............great call.

klemmabyna
05-11-2016, 06:14 PM
McKay Wenger: Thank you for a great post, even though you have no obligation to explain your decisions to anyone but the person in the mirror. or maybe the signature at the bottom of a big check! best wishes where ever the road takes you.

Tracy Williamson
Delavan, WI
(ex-Prescott, IA)

Wonder
05-11-2016, 06:19 PM
I've known McKay since he worked at BPRC about 10 years ago and he's always been a real stand up guy. And he plays pretty good beer pong! It was good to see you there a few weeks ago..........

fryefan
05-11-2016, 07:59 PM

You are correct.

SHOE32
05-11-2016, 09:18 PM
I agree with the fans fund idea. I think you would love cedar lake.

cdustyr1
05-12-2016, 09:14 PM
I agree with the fans fund idea. I think you would love cedar lake.

This area has sent a few drivers up in the past for that event. Eric Smith, Jimmy Dehm, Daren Friedman I think all went up on that deal.

ptown
05-14-2016, 10:43 PM
Nice win tonight at Fairbury, that's gotta help with the confidence.

dirtdobber45
05-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Congrats to McKay for winning at Fairbury and Quincy this weekend. Hope theres more wins to come for him

cgrace
05-15-2016, 10:43 PM
miss ya at other shows like peoria or fals couple weeks hope ya consider some big shows too