PDA

View Full Version : Starts and Restarts

kfactor239
05-16-2016, 06:52 PM
I am horrible at starts and restarts. I have a good car running pretty much the same gear IMCA stock car. I am running a saginaw and most of the other cars are running powerglides. Is there some trick to this? I hit the gas when the green flag drops but everyone just takes off and leaves me. Then it takes me a few laps just to catch up. Should I try shifting down to second and then to third on the front stretch? Any help would be appreciated. I've only been in about 10 races so far and I just haven't figured out what I am doing wrong.

SuperDuke
05-16-2016, 09:36 PM
I recall my street stock years ago with a power glide. Once I put a TCI torque converter in my restarts were great. I suspect your guys with power glides are running a purpose built torque convert and grinding down to a crawl on starts. Really works against you because there motors will jump up past three grand while you lug. A lighter clutch and flywheel will help. Shorter gear if you've got the rpm range to stand it. Push the speed up on restart for a faster pace anytime you can. Right before when when you think the leader will fire, step in the gas a little and hold the motor down with brake. It'll get your vacuum up and you'll respond faster when the leader fires.The big thing though . . . make sure gear is short enough then you have to look at a lighter clutch if you are running stock heavy stuff. . . If the rules allow it. Hope this helps.

SRXSRULE
05-16-2016, 09:45 PM
IMCA stock car.... anyone thats running a powerglide and is competitive is running direct drive with only a crank coupler, no one is running a converter. That being said, there are MANY things that come into play when your taking about starts/restarts. Carb set-up and tune is huge, engine build and cam selection is also a big part, Ignition system.... are you running an MSD ignition box or just an HEI distributor? Has the engine every been tuned on the dyno? Are you spinning the tires, or is the car just slow to get up to speed? Eric

kfactor239
05-16-2016, 10:18 PM
The engine is professionally built and dynoed. It has a dui distributor a flexplate and a three disk 7.25 clutch. I have never tried the holding the brake method. I'll try that this Saturday night and see how I do.

routierracing
05-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Start with the basics. Assuming you're not spinning the tires. No fuel pump issues? Carb matched to the motor and tuned right? Is your car heavier. If all of those are good look at gearing. Your motor might work better with a different gear than others like.