PDA

View Full Version : lug nut/stud threads issues

Flyin Iowan
05-31-2016, 07:58 AM
3 times in last dozen races with 2 different brand of studs and lug nuts. Torque wheels to 85lbs. Go out and race and go to take tires off and a lug nut is locked up. Had to cut the stud to get the wheel off. After getting one of the nuts cut off it looks like the first couple threads are the ones getting crossed up. They go on every time just fine with no issues. Can anyone shed some light on this. am i torquing wheels to tight? Have new Real rims on car. Track was not rough. my guess is nuts are to tight. happened once on RR and 2 times on LR.

Thanks

Lizardracing
05-31-2016, 04:00 PM
Are you starting them by hand or with the impact?

I wonder if the lug nut is deforming? The stud should take 85 lbs ft easily. Try some anti seize on the threads to prevent the galling. The next thing I'd check is the rim clamp ring. The part of the wheel center that deforms to keeps the wheel lug tight maybe cracked or perhaps isn't centering properly. Problems there can shock the nut and cause the galling.

95shaw
05-31-2016, 06:57 PM
On the subject of rim clamp ring, I recall ther was an issue a few years ago that had the mounting surface on the hub smaller than the reference surface on the wheel causing insuffecient clamp force and lost wheels/ broken centers. Could this be an issue on your chassis?

RCJ
05-31-2016, 08:12 PM
I've seen torque wrenches be incorrect.

Flyin Iowan
06-01-2016, 06:26 AM
i do start with fingers, i have used the same hubs for 2 years now. it does look like the tapered end to the rim has some wear to them. talked to chassis builder today and he has not ever had this problem. He torques his car at 100

stockcar5
06-01-2016, 12:23 PM
85 sounds way to light for torque for a 5/8 stud. Should be closer to 140.

Lizardracing
06-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Is it possible the hub is cracked and the flexing is allowing the nut and stud to move around tearing up stuff?

Flyin Iowan
06-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Not that i can see. thatd be some bad luck to crack both hubs on the same weekend. im going to try going tighter and see if that fixes it

Lizardracing
06-02-2016, 03:28 PM
You might as the wheel manufacture what they recommend. The wheel will deform before the 5/8 stud will so I'd use their numbers for testing purposes.

RW57
06-04-2016, 02:05 PM
Aluminum or steel lug nuts I do not like the aluminum nuts they just seem very fragile after a little while the taper will be all chewed up .