PDA

View Full Version : Front Wheel Bearing, How to Tighten ?

RacerX10
06-09-2016, 09:40 PM
Can somebody give me a quick tip on how tight to get the front hubs ? Seems like I recall some advice about turning it tight to some point, then backing up some other amount but I just can't remember exactly how to do it.

jms22
06-10-2016, 09:00 AM
Tighten the nut down fairly tight to seat the bearing in the hub race, then back it off and torque it to spec. Install the lock ring and two allen bolts and you're all set. Make sure your bearings are well packed with grease unless you're running the oil filled hubs. Even with the oil filled I still like to put a light film of grease on the bearing as insurance in case the seal let's loose and oil leaks out.

RacerX10
06-10-2016, 11:11 AM
the 'back it off and torque to spec' part is what i'm looking for advice on. how far to back it off ? i don't think i've ever seen a torque spec for it .. i know it doesn't need to be very tight at all.

jms22
06-10-2016, 12:54 PM
About 1/2 a turn, just til it's looser than the torque. If you put a torque wrench on it and it clicks and the nut doesn't move it needs to be looser. If I remember correctly I believe the torque is 12 ft-lb.

AmickRacing
06-12-2016, 01:44 AM
I hate doing wheel bearings, I like when there's a "spec" not a "feel", but all I've ever done is by feel I guess.

I slowly tighten while giving it a spin, then back the nut off a bit, tighten the nut by hand.
Second guess myself, do this a couple more times, then call it good. Never had any issues, so it kind of makes me wonder how critical this setting is...

Krooser
06-12-2016, 07:50 AM
After changing bearing races it's a good idea check that bearing pre-after a hot lap or two... if the race wasn't seated perfectly you will have a loose bearing.