PDA

View Full Version : Radiator relocation

HighWide&Handsome
06-09-2016, 11:07 PM
With all the emphasis on fuel cell location, weight distribution, ballast placement and so on, why haven't teams relocated the radiator to the center/rear of the car?

jrkracing54
06-10-2016, 09:18 AM
With all the emphasis on fuel cell location, weight distribution, ballast placement and so on, why haven't teams relocated the radiator to the center/rear of the car?

I think most rules state that the radiator must be mounted in the stock location. At least the rules I compete by say that. John 1*

RacerX10
06-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Not sure there would be a justifiable advantage either, with the dry sump and torque arm stuff already in the middle of the car.

Kromulous
06-10-2016, 11:14 AM
What if you layed it down flat, and made a duct of sort to the nose to create suction way out under the plastic nose?

Weight down low, helps, and sucking the nose to the track bonus !

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-10-2016, 11:26 AM
As others have said, not legal. I have seen it done back in the 80s.

talclipse
06-11-2016, 07:45 AM
After cooking a couple motors a few seasons back Delmas Conley relocated his radiator to the deck. They used two large fans on the underside of the radiator (not sure if they were push/ pull). It lasted a week or two then they went back conventional.

DSD75
06-11-2016, 02:02 PM
Saw an open wheel years ago at Crossville TN with the radiator mounted behind the RR quarter panel. Guess with alcohol heat issues were minimal.

Krooser
06-12-2016, 07:54 AM
Before most guys had a handle on cooling systems I saw tons of rear mounted radiators, twin radiators and even a 30 gallon water tank used to try to keep an engine cool and/or gain an advantage... most guys always go back to the traditional set-up.

I remember one top notch sprint car guy even running two small radiators.. one on each side or the roll cage along side of his head!