PDA

View Full Version : Drug testing in raceing

Umpdirt1
06-14-2016, 10:23 AM
Ok could b a stupid question. But wouldn't b the first one here. Does lucas oil, Woo, or Ump test for drugs. Opps drop the Ump, all there money goes in Sam the scams pocket. If lucas , n Woo are so naive themselves thinking the are clean, that's Bull. I'd f n venture to say there'd b some positive test. Late Model racing is know different than any other corporation, Your gonna find some dirty ones.

W2Racing09
06-14-2016, 10:35 AM
Ok could b a stupid question. But wouldn't b the first one here. Does lucas oil, Woo, or Ump test for drugs. Opps drop the Ump, all there money goes in Sam the scams pocket. If lucas , n Woo are so naive themselves thinking the are clean, that's Bull. I'd f n venture to say there'd b some positive test. Late Model racing is know different than any other corporation, Your gonna find some dirty ones.

Why bother? Who cares if people would come up dirty... its a free country. I certainly don't think it is my DLM Tour of choice's responsibility to police the ignorant drug laws set forward by the idiots in Washington.

If they are showing signs of being under the influence of anything while on the track that is a different story, at that point they should either voluntarily sit our need to pass a test on the spot. If they do something stupid (like hitting cars under yellow, or running someone over) then they obviously should be tested and if they fail they should be suspended.

formercrewguy
06-14-2016, 11:20 AM
It isn't a problem. Never has been.

Barbecueboy
06-14-2016, 11:22 AM
4 m should institute mandatory testing prior to becoming a member............

ALLDIRT
06-14-2016, 11:34 AM

a------men

MI Dirt Fan
06-14-2016, 11:41 AM
At least a grammar class. Sheesh. Had to copy and paste that one into the spell check

MI Dirt Fan
06-14-2016, 11:44 AM
Why bother? Who cares if people would come up dirty... its a free country. I certainly don't think it is my DLM Tour of choice's responsibility to police the ignorant drug laws set forward by the idiots in Washington.

If they are showing signs of being under the influence of anything while on the track that is a different story, at that point they should either voluntarily sit our need to pass a test on the spot. If they do something stupid (like hitting cars under yellow, or running someone over) then they obviously should be tested and if they fail they should be suspended.
Basically WoO, Lucas UMP and IMCA just to name the big ones have no right to unless someone is under suspicion of doing so.

Anyone know how NASCAR handles this with pit crews? Seems as though at least once or twice a season someone is busted

Umpdirt1
06-14-2016, 12:35 PM
So if I'm right. General motors has no right to. Nascar has no right to, mlb has no right to the nfl has no right ti. Gimme a f n break they own the series they have every right too. I guess the supreme Court has no right to make laws either.

CIRF
06-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Actually the United States Supreme Court does not have the constitutional power to make laws. Part of The Supreme Court's function is to determined whether or not a law is constitutional. They do not have the authority to write and pass laws. Congress is the only entity other than the EPA and some other bureaucracies that have legislative powers as allocated by the Constitution of the U.S. along with the state and local legislative bodies.

A sanction has the right to require drug testing of anyone and everyone involved with operations, management or participation.

It is surprising there isn't more drug testing done at the local levels but I suspect that economics play a large role in those requirements, or lack thereof. Many tracks and sanctions are barely keeping their head above water and drug testing is not inexpensive.

After the death of Kevin Ward Jr. I thought there would be a push towards drug testing at the local levels but so far it hasn't happened.

Here is NASCAR's drug testing policy as it appears on Jayski:

NASCAR Substance Abuse Policy
Competitors are asked to take a drug test if there is "reasonable suspicion."
Anyone who obtains any kind of NASCAR license must sign an "authorization for testing and release" waiver each season.
NASCAR can ask for samples of urine, blood, saliva, hair or breath tests if "reasonable suspicion" of drug use has been established.
A number of NASCAR officials are trained to take and seal samples for testing, and all are versed in detecting signs of impairment.
NASCAR encourages "whistle blowing" among its competitors to help police its substance abuse policy.
NASCAR reserves the right to suspend a competitor based on a conviction for driving a passenger vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or a drug-related conviction.
Competitors and officials are prohibited from consuming alcohol prior to or during a race.
If a person fails a drug test and wants to return to racing, he or she must submit to a series of spot testing. The person being tested must pay for the examinations.
If an individual is reinstated, NASCAR reserves the right to randomly test that individual.
NASCAR does not recommend specific rehabilitation programs but strongly encourages self-help and treatment for those afflicted with a drug problem or alcohol abuse.

davis2902
06-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Maybe a drug testing policy for posters on 4m would be better.

CIRF
06-14-2016, 01:14 PM

If they did that you and I might be the only ones to test clean!! LOL!!

Umpdirt1
06-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Yes u r right on the supreme court, but they have upheld every argument, for drug testing from lower courts. The argument that lucas oil or Woo has no right to is totally bogus.

kidrock
06-14-2016, 02:29 PM

No problem sign me up.

W2Racing09
06-14-2016, 02:30 PM
So if I'm right. General motors has no right to. Nascar has no right to, mlb has no right to the nfl has no right ti. Gimme a f n break they own the series they have every right too. I guess the supreme Court has no right to make laws either.

Oh I'm not saying it isn't their right necessarily, I'm just saying I don't want them to do it. As someone who buys their product (that being tickets to races) I would not be happy, and were my driver to test positive and be suspended I certainly would go out of my way to not support that series. All of the things you mentioned (GM, NASCAR, MLB, NFL, etc.) have one thing in common, they are all main stream (and they all suck). I couldn't give a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) less what any of them do, the reason everyone likes dirt racing is because it isn't NASCAR, It isn't corporate and it certainly isn't main stream.

Thanks,
Jeff.

MI Dirt Fan
06-14-2016, 02:41 PM
GM doesn't pull random drug tests on its employees. My dad retired after 30 yrs and the only one he had was when he hired in at age 18. They do test new hires once and some positions there may require one following an incident. I know guys who would on their lunch breaks go across the street to the corner party store, buy a 40 and drink it during lunch.

MI Dirt Fan
06-14-2016, 02:47 PM
Why do we need to know who's dirty and who isn't? That really isn't anyone's business. I could go to a local track here and point out 50 drivers in the pit area that smoke a joint after the races or during the week.

CIRF
06-14-2016, 02:49 PM
Oh I'm not saying it isn't their right necessarily, I'm just saying I don't want them to do it. As someone who buys their product (that being tickets to races) I would not be happy, and were my driver to test positive and be suspended I certainly would go out of my way to not support that series. All of the things you mentioned (GM, NASCAR, MLB, NFL, etc.) have one thing in common, they are all main stream (and they all suck). I couldn't give a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) less what any of them do, the reason everyone likes dirt racing is because it isn't NASCAR, It isn't corporate and it certainly isn't main stream.

Thanks,
Jeff.

It would be perfectly okay if a driver/your driver tested dirty and was racing under the influence? Hmmm.

It would be interesting to know how some of the other competitors would feel about racing side by side at a track such as Eldora with a driver who had tested dirty and was driving under the influence. I'm not a lawyer but common sense dictates that type of situation would expose some unsuspecting folks to some fairly serious liability, both in the pit area and on the racetrack. That would include track management/ownership and car owners, among some others that could get thrown into the mix by competent legal counsel on behalf of drivers and crew members injured or killed as a result of actions by someone who tested dirty at the time of the mishap.

That is certainly an interesting stance on the subject.

onlyfacts
06-14-2016, 03:17 PM
Racing cars as powerful and speeds as high as dirt late models reach is no place for drivers using any type of drugs. Period. No right to check? It is the series or tracks responsibility to check. If someone goes on the track impaired, high or smoked up and another competitor gets hurt you will see why the series or track will have problems. Operating a race car is no different than driving down the highway. ATVs, Boats or any motorized vehicle being operated on public or private land is not legal under the influence of any controlled drugs or alcohol. Beyond that who wants to race with someone that is making decisions under the influence of some kind of drug. This isn't a question of whether or not they can test because they can. I am afraid if they do there will be some guys sitting out.

onlyfacts
06-14-2016, 03:23 PM
It would be perfectly okay if a driver/your driver tested dirty and was racing under the influence? Hmmm. It would be interesting to know how some of the other competitors would feel about racing side by side at a track such as Eldora with a driver who had tested dirty and was driving under the influence. I'm not a lawyer but common sense dictates that type of situation would expose some unsuspecting folks to some fairly serious liability, both in the pit area and on the racetrack. That would include track management/ownership and car owners, among some others that could get thrown into the mix by competent legal counsel on behalf of drivers and crew members injured or killed as a result of actions by someone who tested dirty at the time of the mishap.That is certainly an interesting stance on the subject.100% agree. Glad to see that someone on here has a clue about the law and liabilities.

MI Dirt Fan
06-14-2016, 03:29 PM
I would think most if not all are using good judgment and common sense. A love for the sport fuels it and its not worth jepordizing.

Do drivers sometimes drive there own rigs therefore require expanded licenses that require a drug test?

onlyfacts
06-14-2016, 03:37 PM
I would think most if not all are using good judgment and common sense. A love for the sport fuels it and its not worth jepordizing. Do drivers sometimes drive there own rigs therefore require expanded licenses that require a drug test?I would like to believe what your saying is true but...... I have reasons to know it is not.

W2Racing09
06-14-2016, 03:51 PM
It would be perfectly okay if a driver/your driver tested dirty and was racing under the influence? Hmmm.

It would be interesting to know how some of the other competitors would feel about racing side by side at a track such as Eldora with a driver who had tested dirty and was driving under the influence. I'm not a lawyer but common sense dictates that type of situation would expose some unsuspecting folks to some fairly serious liability, both in the pit area and on the racetrack. That would include track management/ownership and car owners, among some others that could get thrown into the mix by competent legal counsel on behalf of drivers and crew members injured or killed as a result of actions by someone who tested dirty at the time of the mishap.

That is certainly an interesting stance on the subject.

I also find your stance on reading posts on message boards to be interesting as well. That being not to read anything at all apparently. Please see post #2 in this thread.

I am fully against random testing, especially as more and more states continue to legalize certain drugs. As stated in post #2 of this thread, when a track/series has suspicion that anything (whether that be alcohol or drugs) is being used by a driver prior to taking to the track then I am fine with testing at that point. It is common sense not to race under the influence (as illustrated by the Ward/Stewart incident). But to expect that these drivers are never going to pick up a joint in their life is ridiculous, lord knows I did in my younger years and I'm no worse of a person as a result.

Thanks,
Jeff.

onlyfacts
06-14-2016, 03:54 PM
I also find your stance on reading posts on message boards to be interesting as well. That being not to read anything at all apparently. Please see post #2 in this thread.Thanks,Jeff.Opinions like yours is all good till someone gets hurt.

W2Racing09
06-14-2016, 03:58 PM
Opinions like yours is all good till someone gets hurt.

What opinion is that? Do you really think because a driver takes a few hits on Tuesday night that he is a danger to someone at the track on Saturday?

Thanks,
Jeff.

kidrock
06-14-2016, 04:22 PM
What opinion is that? Do you really think because a driver takes a few hits on Tuesday night that he is a danger to someone at the track on Saturday?

Thanks,
Jeff.

I think If someone takes a few hits on Tuesday he probably takes a few hits the day of the races as well but, I would be more concerned of harder drugs or Alcohol when it comes right down to it. Maybe Radom test would be better. I don't see why drivers should not have the confidence other drivers are not on drugs or Alcohol when they are on the track.

Umpdirt1
06-14-2016, 04:23 PM
How soon we forget. Kevin Ward. Nuff said.

MI Dirt Fan
06-14-2016, 04:28 PM
How soon we forget. Kevin Ward. Nuff said.

I don't think that was 100% the drugs taking over. Just plain stupidity. Everyone will say that but the family and lawyers.

Barbecueboy
06-14-2016, 05:07 PM

Thanks,
Jeff.
Kind of a weird question I guess, but you say you would go out of your way to not support the series if they suspended your driver for coming up dirty?

I guess the weird part to me is, why wouldn't you just not support your drug doing driver that's puttin lives at risk If that were the case?

W2Racing09
06-14-2016, 06:01 PM
Kind of a weird question I guess, but you say you would go out of your way to not support the series if they suspended your driver for coming up dirty?

I guess the weird part to me is, why wouldn't you just not support your drug doing driver that's puttin lives at risk If that were the case?

If my driver was out on theach track drunk or stoned that is one thing, but as I said -- what they do away from the track is their own personal business. If you were to ban drivers for positive drug testing you are guaranteeing that at least one of the best drivers in DLM history wouldn't have been able to race. I doubt he ever ran a race jacked up, but in his free time...

CIRF
06-14-2016, 06:09 PM
I also find your stance on reading posts on message boards to be interesting as well. That being not to read anything at all apparently. Please see post #2 in this thread.

I am fully against random testing, especially as more and more states continue to legalize certain drugs. As stated in post #2 of this thread, when a track/series has suspicion that anything (whether that be alcohol or drugs) is being used by a driver prior to taking to the track then I am fine with testing at that point. It is common sense not to race under the influence (as illustrated by the Ward/Stewart incident). But to expect that these drivers are never going to pick up a joint in their life is ridiculous, lord knows I did in my younger years and I'm no worse of a person as a result.

Thanks,
Jeff.

No need to read it a second time. It will make no more sense the second time than it did the first, thank you.

A lack of suspicion does not relieve a sanction or track ownership and management of liability in the event of an injury or fatality when the person who created the causation had drugs or alcohol in his system. That is simply common sense.

Anytime a person is in a position where their judgement, reaction time and general hand to eye coordination, or lack thereof, puts innocent folks well being and/or lives at risk then they should be drug tested either randomly or regularly. If for no other reason but to circumvent any possible drug related liability. It's easy, just don't be doin' dope if what you do could put innocent people at risk.

To rationalize acceptance of drug use and abuse in dirt late model racing because it's a "niche sport", out of the mainstream is very easy for a spectator with nothing at stake. It becomes a bit more of an issue when something more substantial than the cost of admission is at risk.

kidrock
06-14-2016, 06:11 PM
No need to read it a second time. It will make no more sense the second time than it did the first, thank you.

A lack of suspicion does not relieve a sanction or track ownership and management of liability in the event of an injury or fatality when the person who created the causation had drugs or alcohol in his system. That is simply common sense.

Anytime a person is in a position where their judgement, reaction time and general hand to eye coordination, or lack thereof, puts innocent folks well being and/or lives at risk then they should be drug tested either randomly or regularly. If for no other reason but to circumvent any possible drug related liability. It's easy, just don't be doin' dope if what you do could put innocent people at risk.

To rationalize acceptance of drug use and abuse in dirt late model racing because it's a "niche sport", out of the mainstream is very easy for a spectator with nothing at stake. It becomes a bit more of an issue when something more substantial than the cost of admission is at risk.

Excellant post CIRF

racinc1
06-14-2016, 06:27 PM
The problem here is some of you are comparing apples to oranges. If you are tested for alcohol a blood test or breathalyzer tells you that alcohol is currently in your system. you could smoke a joint or whatever drug of choice on monday or tuesday and fail a drug test on saturday. Doesnt mean they are racing under the influence just means they use drugs. i personally dont use drugs but what these other fellas do during the week aint none of our business. this country would be alot better off if more people done alot more minding there own (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) business. I know alot of guys that drink like fish all week should they be barred from racing also.

Barbecueboy
06-14-2016, 07:39 PM
If my driver was out on theach track drunk or stoned that is one thing, but as I said -- what they do away from the track is their own personal business. If you were to ban drivers for positive drug testing you are guaranteeing that at least one of the best drivers in DLM history wouldn't have been able to race. I doubt he ever ran a race jacked up, but in his free time...
Don't disagree with you at all on this one...........but it is a slippery slope , what with the public safety implications involved for owner operators possibly driving regulated equipment, insurances etc.

If they want to relax like responsible adults after hours , I could care less.........

tsand
06-14-2016, 07:53 PM
Drug testing is very inexpensive. Urine samples don't have to be set to the lab. My doctor has me pee in a cup then he peels of a strip and it tells him if I got anything in my system and what it is. He told me it's very accurate.

plunks7
06-14-2016, 07:57 PM

I would be out and I don't drink.:)

Aces&Eights
06-14-2016, 08:02 PM
Why are you worried about this? I don't think they lack testing because they think everybody is clean, I think they don't want to know. I havent seen anything on the national tours to give me pause or concern at least not from drivers. Now some crewman working outta Mooresburg are suspect, but they're easy to catch riding mini bikes.

CIRF
06-14-2016, 08:12 PM
Don't disagree with you at all on this one...........but it is a slippery slope , what with the public safety implications involved for owner operators possibly driving regulated equipment, insurances etc.

If they want to relax like responsible adults after hours , I could care less.........

I would also agree BBQB, especially with your last sentence. The problem is this, until they come up with a test of any kind that determines degree of impairment at any given point in time similar to BAC we are stuck with a clean or dirty screening determination that has a look back of possibly 30 to 35 days for THC. Have no idea what the look back is on all types of cocaine, opiates, prescription pain killers and muscle relaxers, etc.

I personally am required to have a valid CDL to operate some of the equipment that I own that is involved with the day to day operational obligations that go along with my chosen profession. Just having that CDL involves DOT and insurance implications that require that I periodically submit a valid drug test to a certified testing laboratory. If I test dirty the DOT and insurance company doesn't give a rats ass if I toked up an hour or a month prior to the sample being submitted.

Given that there are 2 states that have legalized recreational use of pot, and a bunch more that have legalized medicinal usage, a test is probably not too far in the future that will determine impairment at the time of testing. That will take all the guesswork out of degree of impairment for everyone.

plunks7
06-14-2016, 08:22 PM
Most of you would be blown away as to how many and who. Its not even worth the conversation!!! I really don't think you could have a full field (24) of cars.

Highside Hustler25
06-14-2016, 08:26 PM
The problem here is some of you are comparing apples to oranges. If you are tested for alcohol a blood test or breathalyzer tells you that alcohol is currently in your system. you could smoke a joint or whatever drug of choice on monday or tuesday and fail a drug test on saturday. Doesnt mean they are racing under the influence just means they use drugs. i personally dont use drugs but what these other fellas do during the week aint none of our business. this country would be alot better off if more people done alot more minding there own (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) business. I know alot of guys that drink like fish all week should they be barred from racing also.

Amen to this post. Especially the last sentence.

MI Dirt Fan
06-14-2016, 09:40 PM
Most of you would be blown away as to how many and who. Its not even worth the conversation!!! I really don't think you could have a full field (24) of cars.
Same thing I said. I could go to a local track and point out probly 50 drivers. I never suspected any of them to be racing under an influence while on the track.

NormP
06-14-2016, 09:53 PM
I guess the supreme Court has no right to make laws either.

It doesn't. That's the function of the legislative branch of government, not the judicial or executive branch.

Read the constitution, it's all in there.

CIRF
06-14-2016, 10:04 PM
Very good article and quotes from Donnie Schatz, Darren Pittman and Kerry Madsen on the need for race car driver and crew member drug testing in the United States. I'm thinking the word of these 3 guys is worth a whole lot more than most anyone here.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/post_710.html

bayou tuff
06-15-2016, 06:59 AM
Question: As a driver, how can you give a 110% if your under the influence of drugs or alcohol or both. You can't!! Both stay in your system for days, not hours. So, if I wanted to be one of the top drivers at any track, the drugs and alcohol would be at the bottom of the list of things I needed and wanted to do. Never gonna make it to the top with the aid of chemicals!!

Barbecueboy
06-15-2016, 07:52 AM
Question: As a driver, how can you give a 110% if your under the influence of drugs or alcohol or both. You can't!! Both stay in your system for days, not hours. So, if I wanted to be one of the top drivers at any track, the drugs and alcohol would be at the bottom of the list of things I needed and wanted to do. Never gonna make it to the top with the aid of chemicals!!

Chemicals are for tire use only............oops

W2Racing09
06-15-2016, 07:55 AM

It might be easy for a spectator with nothing at stake. I wouldn't know since I am the director of a Modified series and the thought has never once crossed my mind to do any drug testing, random or otherwise. In addition, I've never had a driver come to me to voice concern over a lack of drug testing either. I suspect most of the drivers in my series would either be indifferent, or against drug testing. If a driver appears intoxicated then we will take action, but otherwise as I have said what a driver does outside of the track is their business. That stance shouldn't be a shock to anyone considering I'm currently unaware of ANY Dirt racing tracks, series, or sanctions in the USA that are doing regular drug testing.

W2Racing09
06-15-2016, 08:14 AM

I don't know what specific drugs you are talking about, but that would have to be the strongest Marijuana in existence for it to stay in someone's system for more than 8-12 hrs MAXIMUM, for most it is gone within 2-3 hrs. I think it is reasonable to expect that drivers refrain from both the use of drugs and alcohol on the day of the race.

As far as alcohol, I think off hand it is for every 12OZ drink you are supposed to wait 45 minutes before your BAC is back at .00 -- so you are looking at like 6 hrs before your BAC is .00 after having 8 beers. So I suppose your wait could last a day if you drank 32 beers, or if you were really thirsty it could last days (48 hrs) if you drank 64 beers.

Thanks,
Jeff.

onlyfacts
06-15-2016, 08:25 AM
Never gonna make it to the top with the aid of chemicals!!Some have. If all the nah sayers knew who is using controlled substances ( not only weed) they would have a different view.

fastford
06-15-2016, 08:59 AM
I think this is a self regulated thing. 20 years ago , on my birth day, I drank three beers at lunch with a buddy, 6 hours later, even though I was no where near intoxicated, and may have been a mental thing, I didn't feel right on the track and never touched ANY THING again on the day of the race. I have to side with Jeff on this one though, and here is something else to consider, with the dire straits our sport is already in today with car counts and fan attendance way off, I honestly feel that if the sanctions and track operators took the stance some of you are suggesting , that will be the final nail in the coffin...JMO...

06-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Not late models, but this is the BOSS sprints' take... see drug testing http://buckeyesprints.com/rules.html

Highside Hustler25
06-15-2016, 10:24 AM
I would be out and I don't drink.:)

Was that you I passed going 30 MPH in a 55 MPH zone:D

CIRF
06-15-2016, 11:05 AM
It might be easy for a spectator with nothing at stake. I wouldn't know since I am the director of a Modified series and the thought has never once crossed my mind to do any drug testing, random or otherwise. In addition, I've never had a driver come to me to voice concern over a lack of drug testing either. I suspect most of the drivers in my series would either be indifferent, or against drug testing. If a driver appears intoxicated then we will take action, but otherwise as I have said what a driver does outside of the track is their business. That stance shouldn't be a shock to anyone considering I'm currently unaware of ANY Dirt racing tracks, series, or sanctions in the USA that are doing regular drug testing.

Fair enough Mr. Modified Series Director. I'm just lil' ol' nobody who merely purchases tickets for myself and my family to attend the races of our choice. At this point in time that's all the involvement I have, need or want. Feel free to thank me for our patronage if by chance we've attended one of your modified shows.

Maybe one or all of the three drivers who are quoted in this Pennlive article have driven modified's in the division that you so proudly preside over. I don't know.

What I do know is their word for what needs to be done carries infinitely more weight than lil' ol' me along with most anyone else involved in dirt racing, including you.

Umpdirt1
06-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Cost is a lame excuse, test strips now days are 99.9 % accurate and inexpensive. I say take top 3 finishers piss on a strip and b on your way. If you refuse counts as positive. Lose your payout and don't race until you do submit If your clean you got nuthing to hide. IMO lucas, Woo, Ump turn a blind eye . Don't wanna f n know.

W2Racing09
06-15-2016, 12:25 PM
Fair enough Mr. Modified Series Director. I'm just lil' ol' nobody who merely purchases tickets for myself and my family to attend the races of our choice. At this point in time that's all the involvement I have, need or want. Feel free to thank me for our patronage if by chance we've attended one of your modified shows.

Maybe one or all of the three drivers who are quoted in this Pennlive article have driven modified's in the division that you so proudly preside over. I don't know.

What I do know is their word for what needs to be done carries infinitely more weight than lil' ol' me along with most anyone else involved in dirt racing, including you.

Thank you for your patronage to any event I have promoted, along with any dirt racing event hosted in this country.

I was not being demeaning at all, I respect fans more than most anyone. I generally correct people any time I see someone complaining or demeaning fans as racing will not take place without them. There is plenty of evidence of that to be found on this message board. In addition to that, as it relates to DLM racing I am just a fan. I only pointed out that I run a Modified series specifically to make you aware that I do have a stake in things that happen on the track.

I agree that the drivers in that article's opinion matter more than mine as it relates to dirt racing. However I'm sure I could go out and find three drivers that are equally high profile who would be against it. As you said in response to one of BBQ's posts on this thread - a test needs to be created that can show the current level of intoxication. Until then I won't get behind drug testing, it is unfair to many drivers. Especially those who might hail from States were some of these substances are legal.

In my opinion, and the opinion of many others. Alcohol is a far more damaging vice than marijuana. If someone is sitting out on Saturday for smoking a joint on Tuesday then anyone who touched a can of beer should be in the same boat.

Furthermore, as I've said previously. We are essentially saying that at times in his career Bloomquist wasn't fit to be on the track. I can think of a lot of things to call Scott Bloomquist, but a danger to other drivers on the track is not one of them. Scott is not labeled as a wreckless or dirty driver.

I'd race against a jacked up Scott Bloomquist over a sober Jared Landers any day of the week.

Thanks,
Jeff.

W2Racing09
06-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Cost is a lame excuse, test strips now days are 99.9 % accurate and inexpensive. I say take top 3 finishers piss on a strip and b on your way. If you refuse counts as positive. Lose your payout and don't race until you do submit If your clean you got nuthing to hide. IMO lucas, Woo, Ump turn a blind eye . Don't wanna f n know.

What is the purpose of testing after the race? I thought the purpose was to keep everyone "safe"? At that point you are just enforcing ignorant drug laws for the sake of enforcing them. Might as well hire off duty police officers as your race officials too. They can give all the fans a brethalyzer as they leave the track too. In between heats and features they can run license plate numbers and check inspection stickers -- just in case any of the fans might be past due or have an outstanding parking ticket.

It isn't a racing facilities purpose to enforce the law.

Thanks,
Jeff.

Aces&Eights
06-15-2016, 12:36 PM
Here's the alcohol absorption info. https://prevention.gwu.edu/alcohol-absorption

One serving of alcohol is fully absorbed into the blood stream within 30 minutes to 2 hours after intake. This is because the body can metabolize about 0.25 ounces of alcohol per hour. However, the effects of alcohol vary by individual and by how much alcohol they drink in one session. In fact, the effects and levels of alcohol in the body depend upon a number of factors:

• a person’s size and weight

• individual metabolism rate

• related food intake

• the beverage consumed

I don't usually agree with W2 on much but I do agree here. I am not in favor of compulsory and/or random drug testing in racing. Not that I condone there use, because I've never used drugs and I quit drinking for health reasons(fat), but if you wish to indulge that's fine. I realize there are risks to not screening, that someone could get behind the wheel impaired and do some damage. Even so I'm very much a Conservative/Libertarian and I think the Constitution and the Bill of rights have been trampled far to much as it is, in the name of "Safety and Security". Racing is a risk and it is expensive, which in itself weeds out most who would do something foolish, especially in DLM because if you have a desire to win you want to be at your best. Every instance I can think of someone being impaired at the track and it being an issue, was either a fan, on a 4 wheeler/golf cart or in the lowest 4 cylinder division. At every race I've ever been to law enforcement was present and if I saw someone impaired or drinking aggressively and getting ready to race, I'd get a cops attention and let him handle it properly. We don't need "Big Brother" testing, we just need racers, crew members and fans to be vigilant and aware and have the courage to say something.

Lastly as far as the Stewart/Ward situation goes, I do not think marijuana made him aggressive and to lose his temper, that was bravado and poor raising of a child with a bad temper. I have a friend with rage issues that races and though he's never jumped at a moving race car, he's done plenty of other ridiculous things at the track and only by the grace of God he's still here. As a child he was allowed to act out and be wild when he was growing up because he had a birth defect(cleft pallet), they didn't do him any favors.

CIRF
06-15-2016, 01:42 PM
I agree that the drivers in that article's opinion matter more than mine as it relates to dirt racing. However I'm sure I could go out and find three drivers that are equally high profile who would be against it. As you said in response to one of BBQ's posts on this thread - a test needs to be created that can show the current level of intoxication. Until then I won't get behind drug testing, it is unfair to many drivers. Especially those who might hail from States were some of these substances are legal.I'm not that much of a winged sprint car fan but it might be somewhat tough to find any driver at the dirt track level as well known and respected as a driver and as a person as Donnie Schatz, but that is off topic and not applicable here and now.

I cannot take issue with a driver or crew member's responsible recreational use of some forms of illegal intoxicants. And, those hailing from Colorado and Washington present a whole different set of circumstances. However, to proclaim that bloomy (used only as an example because of his drug dust ups of the past) has never been even the slightest hazard on the track is impossible to prove and disingenuous. By the grace of God nothing bad ever happened but that fact alone is not grounds of complete innocence.

By reading the Pennlive article one gets the impression that Schatz doesn't want any question when his career, personal well being and life are possibly in question. Can he be blamed for that?

In my opinion, and the opinion of many others. Alcohol is a far more damaging vice than marijuana. If someone is sitting out on Saturday for smoking a joint on Tuesday then anyone who touched a can of beer should be in the same boat.What you say in reference to alcohol versus marijuana is absolutely correct. The difference is that a beer on Tuesday is legal in all 50 States but possessing marijuana and paraphernalia is not. You and I may not agree but that is the case as of today.

plunks7
06-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Jeff the THC stays in your system for a month. If you toke the Devils Lettuce. Trust me!

plunks7
06-15-2016, 01:44 PM
Was that you I passed going 30 MPH in a 55 MPH zone:D

What ever do you mean I was flying I thought. :) LOL

W2Racing09
06-15-2016, 02:11 PM
Jeff the THC stays in your system for a month. If you toke the Devils Lettuce. Trust me!

Oh for sure, I ran into that inconvenient truth a time or two in my younger years! What I meant is feeling the effects, nobody is impaired after 8-12 HRS (As far as I've ever known -- but I could be wrong. Certainly I've never heard of the effects lasting days though).

Thanks,
Jeff.

plunks7
06-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Oh for sure, I ran into that inconvenient truth a time or two in my younger years! What I meant is feeling the effects, nobody is impaired after 8-12 HRS (As far as I've ever known -- but I could be wrong. Certainly I've never heard of the effects lasting days though).

Thanks,
Jeff.

My bad, I miss read what was said. You are correct. Sorry!!!!

W2Racing09
06-15-2016, 02:19 PM
I'm not that much of a winged sprint car fan but it might be somewhat tough to find any driver at the dirt track level as well known and respected as a driver and as a person as Donnie Schatz, but that is off topic and not applicable here and now.

I cannot take issue with a driver or crew member's responsible recreational use of some forms of illegal intoxicants. And, those hailing from Colorado and Washington present a whole different set of circumstances. However, to proclaim that bloomy (used only as an example because of his drug dust ups of the past) has never been even the slightest hazard on the track is impossible to prove and disingenuous. By the grace of God nothing bad ever happened but that fact alone is not grounds of complete innocence.

By reading the Pennlive article one gets the impression that Schatz doesn't want any question when his career, personal well being and life are possibly in question. Can he be blamed for that?
What you say in reference to alcohol versus marijuana is absolutely correct. The difference is that a beer on Tuesday is legal in all 50 States but possessing marijuana and paraphernalia is not. You and I may not agree but that is the case as of today.

I don't think I've ever heard of Bloomquist being a hazard. Generally he was at the front of the field either way so it would have gone unnoticed I suppose. None the less I don't think there has been a point in time when people were afraid to race side by side with Bloomquist. He is as well respected as most anybody you will find in the pit area.

In the last part of your quote it just circles back around to enforcing the law and that being the job of the police in my opinion.

I still wouldn't be all for it but if there was a test that could check for drugs other than Marijuana then that might be something to consider (one such test might already exist). But still I think if the driver is in the right frame of mind and isn't jacked up on race day then they should be good to go.

Thanks,
Jeff.

fastford
06-15-2016, 02:56 PM

dang, all this time I thought it came from aliens .

W2Racing09
06-15-2016, 03:08 PM
dang, all this time I thought it came from aliens .

http://cdn4.miragestudio7.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ancient-aliens-guy.jpg

Barbecueboy
06-15-2016, 07:05 PM

Thanks,
Jeff.

That would be the mystical super ganja us old timers used to hear about..........

Barbecueboy
06-15-2016, 07:20 PM
Figure out an effective way to determine marijuana sobriety and the problem is solved..........or should be.

Because in all seriousness,and like Jeff so eloquently stated.........ain't no weed on the planet going to stone you on Tuesday and cause you to wreck on Saturday night.

bradc
06-16-2016, 04:42 PM
a lot of partying goes on after the checkers fly especially at the big two day shows. Shouldn't matter what you do as long as you sober during the racing event

D. Tidrow
06-16-2016, 04:47 PM
Figure out an effective way to determine marijuana sobriety and the problem is solved..........or should be.Because in all seriousness,and like Jeff so eloquently stated.........ain't no weed on the planet going to stone you on Tuesday and cause you to wreck on Saturday night.I have to agree, spot on.

Clayton_Wetter
06-16-2016, 04:58 PM

That's right. The Supreme Court does not have the right to MAKE laws. Don't tell that to Obummer though.

http://libertyunderfire.org/tag/supreme-court-cannot-make-law/