PDA

View Full Version : help with ride height for camaro

oilspot
06-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Just started my 12 yr old racing a 77 camaro street stock. Other than this we have 3 years experience racing karts. So this is a whole new deal for us. I have a set of scales borrowed but figure my first step is to set/ adjust the ride height. So... where do I take these measurements. Also recommendations on ride heights would be helpful.

oilspot
06-15-2016, 12:05 PM
I guess I could assume that the frame rails are level and just measure at the furthest rear and furthest forward level spots on the frame. I'd just hate to start logging all this information just to find out that I'm doing it wrong. I've found that there's not much to gain by making assumptions.

WOT114
06-15-2016, 02:21 PM
We always measured on the bend coming from the front where it flattens out behind the firewall and then on the rail next to the front leaf spring hanger. Just make sure to mark where you take them from and measure from that spot from then on

oilspot
06-16-2016, 10:28 AM
alright heres what I got. LF 5 3/16" RF 5" LR 7" RR 6 1/4".

RCJ
06-16-2016, 07:20 PM
Measure from the ground to the center of the ball joint ball,then from the ground to the center of the lower a arm inner bolt.Try to get these two measurements the same ,basically the lower a arm level. On the left front get the inner bolt alittle lower than the balljoint.Once you have these measurements you can measure a convenient place and record it.On the rear we added 1'' to the stock shackles, put a 1'' lowering block in the r/r.Measured the frame, then when it lost 1'' of ride height changed the springs.

WOT114
06-17-2016, 10:08 AM
Your numbers are backwards from what they should be if you are checking from the same spot on both sides. Start setting your ride height so the lower control arms are level. Then use this as a starting point for the rear. It's not unusual to see guys raising each corner a 1/4" to 1/2" as they go around the car. For example LF = 7", RF = 7 1/4", LR = 7 1/2", RR = 7 3/4".

oilspot
06-24-2016, 09:56 AM
I'm glad I asked. I was thinking I'd lower the rear to level things out but it looks like i need to pick up the front. As far as leveling the lower control arm, It's not exactly straight across so I'm not sure what section I want to sit level (the bottom of the control arm has a arc to it). Now as far as using the "center of the balljoint ball". Should I kinda visualize where the center of the actual ball sits, or would that reference point be higher or lower. WOT114. The numbers you gave me. Are those actual numbers out of a camaro, or just to show reference as to how they should relate to each other. Reason I'm asking is off of those alone I think I'm sitting roughly 2" low in the front. (i'll know for sure as soon as I clear up the LCA measuring question). Rules allow hidden weight jacks where we race. Going that route would allow me to achieve good results scaling without having to buy a whole mess of lowering blocks to mess with.

racing_kid
06-28-2016, 04:20 PM
I level the bolt to the center of where the lower bj sits in the spindle