PDA

View Full Version : Southern Regional Series

Snake X3
06-15-2016, 01:05 PM
I'm sure this subject has been discussed out the rump in the past, so excuse me if this post isn't original.

I've been looking at all of the Southern regional series...the tracks they run, what areas of the country they go to, the dates, the point funds, purses, how many drivers follow each series etc. I know it's important to give drivers the option to run for good money as often as possible, but there seems to be so much overlap between the different series and no more then 2 or 3 guys that run the 80-90% of the races required to run for the point funds.

I've done music promoting and I faced similar issues trying to get bands, venues and competing promoters to work together for the common good. That is why I got out of doing it. I am sure there is bad blood between the various factions and when money and power is involved, everyone has to look out for themselves. At the same time, it seems to me that it would benefit everyone...especially the drivers (talent) if they worked together for the good of the sport.

The meeting they had back in the winter when the various powers that be got together to discuss a common rules package would be the type of thing they would need to work something out. Each series would sanction races in their agreed upon area with purses that are roughly equal so drivers can run for the same money closest to home. Then every six weeks or so two series co-sanction races for a larger purse at a track that is centrally located. Then one or twice a year they have one monster race sanctioned by all of the series to attract the best of the best of the region.

That's a very simplistic outline of how it would work. I'm sure you get the idea. The point is that unifying the series would help reduce costs to put on races, the costs for drivers having to travel and provide for larger fields for the fans.

flagone
06-16-2016, 08:58 AM
There are some that try to work together now and others that refuse to even look at a calendar or a map.

Snake X3
06-16-2016, 11:44 AM
There are some that try to work together now and others that refuse to even look at a calendar or a map.

I was hoping you might respond because you have the answers to the questions that I don't. I'm sure you probably don't want to share the info or your opinions on a public message board, but one question you might be able to answer is if you thought it was even possible to get the powers that be together in a room for a day or two to work through the issue similar to what was done with the suspension rules in the off-season?

I was thinking that someone like Dale McDowell who is well respected and has a vested interest in the success of DLMR in the South, is a track owner and driver but doesn't run a series might be a good objective person to mediate the meeting. Of course I don't know who has close ties to who, so maybe he wouldn't be the best choice, but you get the idea.

flagone
06-16-2016, 01:43 PM
I don't want to disrespect anyone. The scenario of a group gathering is likely possible but I am not sure the results you are hoping for would be. Unfortunately some would be there well, just to be there.

It is a business and it would be very tough to work it out where no one would be on top of the others. Series need to run as many races as they can to take care of their sponsors and be able to provide a solid point fund. But we could all definitely be much smarter in our scheduling. If we would just take the time to look at calendars and maps. Put some real thought into scheduling. We are able to work with some of the others on this while others won't join the conversation. Our schedule is out no later than December every year. So if a schedule comes out after that you would think that someone had at least looked at it. Seems like a smart business practice. We moved some dates around this year because of that. I want to get every car and fan I can and in many cases we are trying to get the same group of both. But hopefully what you suggest could help alleviate that. It's worth a shot.

Now with that there are some times that it can't be avoided. Some factors that force things to not be optimal. Sponsor commitment or track availability can create those situations but you try to minimize those where you can.

Snake X3
06-16-2016, 06:56 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply. It would take me a while to write out my ideas and I know they are flawed and largely impractical for some of the reason you've already stated. I'll try to write it up though. If I can make it to Dublin, maybe I'll hand you a copy there. :)