PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question: Why is tire doping illegal?

bullring
06-21-2016, 07:53 AM
What's the purpose of it?

old fan
06-21-2016, 08:02 AM
https://www.hoosiertire.com/safetywarning/index.htm

bullring
06-21-2016, 08:15 AM
I can see Hoosier's point. I just have a problem with having a rule on something that can't be checked at the track. Kind of sucks for a fan if they go to a race and then a few weeks later the results are changed.

old fan
06-21-2016, 08:17 AM
yes it does same goes when they do heavy teching after the event not so much for lates though but mods they can

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-21-2016, 08:20 AM
I can see Hoosier's point. I just have a problem with having a rule on something that can't be checked at the track. Kind of sucks for a fan if they go to a race and then a few weeks later the results are changed.

You saw the same entertainment either way. Kinda like watching a play and the actor's check bounced on Friday.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-21-2016, 08:22 AM
What's the purpose of it?

The idea is to keep people from using dangerous substances, save racers time on tire preperation, and level the playing field in that aspect of the sport.

old fan
06-21-2016, 08:34 AM
http://forums.hotrod.com/circle-track/70/8150281/dirt-racing/home-made-tire-softeners/

MRM
06-21-2016, 08:56 AM
Breathing in huge amounts of that stuff will do some serious damage to a person's health.

heinen81
06-21-2016, 09:13 AM
Tire prep rule, in my opinion, hurts the little guy. First, not all tire preps are softeners. Many are conditioners that bring the tire up to temp faster, and allows the tire temps to plateau and level off, many times adding life to the tire by better controlling temps. Fact of the matter is fans see a better show, competitors (especially the budget guys) have increased tire life, and the correct preps may allow some of the smaller budget teams to bring some of their tires back to life, versus needing 6 new tires to run a touring show and be somewhat competitive. Generally speaking, preps are fairly low cost, especially if it gives your tires an extra night or two of life.

old fan
06-21-2016, 09:24 AM
Breathing in huge amounts of that stuff will do some serious damage to a person's health.Exactly I wonder how much is sent in the air from dust and what affects will it cause

allthegoodnamesaretaken
06-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Who cares about tire juice being harmful? Cause gasoline, race fuel, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, brake fluid, hot smoldering rubber etc. isn't harmful? I'm not defending juicing the tires, but I think everything I just listed is known to the state of California to cause cancer. Lol

old fan
06-21-2016, 11:15 AM
California is a cancer and you can take that to the bank

redfred
06-21-2016, 11:19 AM
What this does is make it more expensive to run these races. The little guy who runs tires a couple and washes them in between nights will get caught up in this if he uses Simple Green or some of the other cleaners popular with racers.
I agree, that the intentional act of juicing tires should be against the rules, however there should be leeway for tires to be washed and used again.

old fan
06-21-2016, 11:23 AM
water sounds pretty good its a known fact that simple green softens tire it has for years

Cardirt0
06-21-2016, 11:26 AM
California is a cancer and you can take that to the bank

LOL Make you hope the movie thing happens for real and it falls off in to the Sea....
How do you send back 1 million people that dont belong here..Earth Q...

Barbecueboy
06-21-2016, 11:49 AM
What this does is make it more expensive to run these races. The little guy who runs tires a couple and washes them in between nights will get caught up in this if he uses Simple Green or some of the other cleaners popular with racers.
I agree, that the intentional act of juicing tires should be against the rules, however there should be leeway for tires to be washed and used again.

Excellent point.........

heinen81
06-21-2016, 11:52 AM
The thing is... the majority of the tracks these guys run on, especially when taking on rubber, the LAST thing you want is a softer tire. It would never last. I don't think their intent is softening.

bullring
06-21-2016, 11:53 AM
At the kart track by me guys show up with 3 complete sets of soaked tires wrapped in cellophane. One for practice, one for heats, and one for features. The low budget guys have to wash their tires and redope them between races. They do this all right out in front of everybody.

blncfn57
06-21-2016, 11:54 AM
Tire prep rule, in my opinion, hurts the little guy. First, not all tire preps are softeners. Many are conditioners that bring the tire up to temp faster, and allows the tire temps to plateau and level off, many times adding life to the tire by better controlling temps. Fact of the matter is fans see a better show, competitors (especially the budget guys) have increased tire life, and the correct preps may allow some of the smaller budget teams to bring some of their tires back to life, versus needing 6 new tires to run a touring show and be somewhat competitive. Generally speaking, preps are fairly low cost, especially if it gives your tires an extra night or two of life.

I suppose you'd be right if you were not ignoring the fact that it is expensive! Not to mention the health effects of it.

Barbecueboy
06-21-2016, 12:15 PM
So I guess spinning doped up tires throwing rubber dust in the air is much worse than non treated tires spinning and throwing up the completely safe tire company only compounds up in the air for fans to breathe?

Makes perfect sense.......no wonder those tire fires always just burn my eyes a little.....they are completely safe, right.

I mean , we are doing this under the guise of safety, yes?

Barbecueboy
06-21-2016, 12:25 PM
what are the chances of a track taking rubber from someone with altered tires then as others pass through spinning and grinding the tainted rubber into their own?

Is it impossible? Has anyone ever done any Testing on it?( meaning the series or tire companies)

The tire rule is almost unenforceable as it's currently written and being tested for............gonna take someone falsely accused to get into someone's pocket before the system changes and the series take tire cheating as seriously as they are posturing like.

Maybe all 5 of those rascals cheated to high heaven..........maybe they didn't.

Birdsboro
06-21-2016, 05:29 PM
i was thinking the same thing. If i am running a tire and it gets hot an picks up whatever from the track... am i a cheater? I ain't saying they did, i ain't saying they didn't. But the only fair way to test them is BEFORE they hit the track. Just a thought...

STRONGERTHANDIRT
06-21-2016, 05:53 PM
There was a thread about how dusty the track was at The Dream. Knowing that these tire prep solutions are carcinogenic, would you want your kids breathing this stuff?

IZZOJR16
06-21-2016, 08:14 PM
There was a thread about how dusty the track was at The Dream. Knowing that these tire prep solutions are carcinogenic, would you want your kids breathing this stuff? excellent point. never thought about that. this should be in bold ^^^^^

drano
06-21-2016, 08:21 PM
what are the chances of a track taking rubber from someone with altered tires then as others pass through spinning and grinding the tainted rubber into their own?

Is it impossible? Has anyone ever done any Testing on it?( meaning the series or tire companies)

The tire rule is almost unenforceable as it's currently written and being tested for............gonna take someone falsely accused to get into someone's pocket before the system changes and the series take tire cheating as seriously as they are posturing like.

Maybe all 5 of those rascals cheated to high heaven..........maybe they didn't.

I was thinking the same thing BBQ and that scenario of a hot tire picking up chemicals left by another tire at least to me is very possible.

fast18
06-21-2016, 08:23 PM
You're inhaling way more carcinogens from people smoking cigs around you, than from doped tires.

old fan
06-21-2016, 08:25 PM
but you can control tire doping but not the other

toyracer
06-22-2016, 06:08 AM
A lot of tracks say it is due to epa regulations but I don't buy that either.

I think it is pressure from tire company & sponsorship money. Tire company knows tires can be conditioned & last for several races. None conditioned tire life is short therefore they sell more tires.

If it was EPA there wouldn't be a kart track open anywhere.

old fan
06-22-2016, 06:54 AM
I am sure that bridgestone doesn't give the kart guys any sponsorship money would they

Barbecueboy
06-22-2016, 07:42 AM
but you can control tire doping but not the other

And you can control the cig. Too..........they are called no smoking zones.

Just because others are completely owned by them doesn't mean I want to be.

And fwiw..........undoped rubber in the air vs doped rubber in the air ......seriously guys, that's the argument here?

Anybody ever looked at the breakdown of a standard tire and what's already in the rubber.........

Barbecueboy
06-22-2016, 07:45 AM
A lot of tracks say it is due to epa regulations but I don't buy that either.

I think it is pressure from tire company & sponsorship money. Tire company knows tires can be conditioned & last for several races. None conditioned tire life is short therefore they sell more tires.

If it was EPA there wouldn't be a kart track open anywhere.
Did you say tire companies???

Reminds me of the state of televisions these days........used to be you could perform maintenance and actually repair them to last longer.......now they are mostly designed to be throw always so you have to buy another one.

Aces&Eights
06-22-2016, 08:07 AM

Wash tires without simple green cleaners, they leech the oils out of the tires anyway. So you may soften the surface, but kills the tires life cycle.

zyoung25
06-22-2016, 09:30 AM
At the kart track by me guys show up with 3 complete sets of soaked tires wrapped in cellophane. One for practice, one for heats, and one for features. The low budget guys have to wash their tires and redope them between races. They do this all right out in front of everybody.

I know some indoor deals have done away with tire prep. I never was big on it myself, just more expense on top of everything else. I did use it from time to time though, and it did seem to help. Certain ones would eat up the tires quicker than others, especially the homemade stuff, again cost was main reason I never was a fan of it.