PDA

View Full Version : traction shock on left rear

hupertracing24
06-22-2016, 07:10 AM
what does this shock do and does it work well in the xtreme slick, will it hurt us or help us , thank you

hipower17
06-22-2016, 07:48 AM
yes it will help you on dry slick.

billetbirdcage
06-22-2016, 04:31 PM
what does this shock do and does it work well in the xtreme slick, will it hurt us or help us , thank you

Traction shock: Sorry this is a bad name for a LR front shock and you could probably call it a marketing name if you want because:

1. The shock is really in all honesty not going to make traction by itself. The correct name should either be one or more of the following IMO:

A. Hike down shock
B. Hike Enhancer

The shock can be made to do one or the other or both. It's really not going to make traction, but it can enhance it if the car is slow or not wanting to get up. Meaning if the car is getting up by itself then you're not really going to add traction, but if it isn't then you may help that and get the traction you missing but it's not really from the shock itself.

You can also kill traction with it, thus the reason you get some different answers as some guys take it off in the slick and others run it all the time. It's partially how it's being used and how it's valved/made. Many people also unknowingly change the dynamic travel on the LR and don't know it, thus get an effect they weren't expecting thus some of the confusion on what it does or what it can do for you.

Sorry the name "traction shock" is a pet peeve of mine, lol

Matt49
06-22-2016, 11:57 PM
If the definition of "traction shock" is a shock that you put in front of the LR, I would further define "traction shock" as a shock that you would want to run when there is plenty of traction in the race track.
A shock in front of the LR has a huge motion ratio over the movement of the wheel so even a so called "zero" rebound shock has resistance to LR hike which KILLS forward bite. The real advantage to a something like a (I'm about to use arbitrary numbers) 5-0 or even 9-0 shock in front of LR is that it helps KEEP the car hiked through corner entry which means it's more "prepared" to exit the corner. Too "enhance" hike in a "traction" shock, most folks go for really high gas pressure. That is, frankly, just another crutch. There is nothing less resistant to hiking the LR on the front of that birdcage than pure air (e.g. NO shock). Some of the "best of both worlds" solutions come into play with the shock on top of the axle tube. Motion ratio is basically 1:1 so you can really tune what you want that way.

Kromulous
06-23-2016, 08:58 AM
I will say one thing about the LRF shock, the mounting of them is critical. Not only in the up and down direction but the fwd to aft direction too. I had my brother make us a custom mount, and its alot better. Thats about all i can say about it.

Matt49
06-23-2016, 09:35 PM
Very true, krom. Mounting location has a big affect on motion ratio. Whether it is on the birdcage or a clamp bracket also makes a big difference.

rsadiedog
06-26-2016, 08:13 AM
So when do you want it on cage and when on a camp bracket? What does it do?

SaddleUpLock&Load
06-26-2016, 05:38 PM
How often do you mess with the rebound in the LRF shock? Ours were built at -26. Seems to do well in the traction and I always just take it off in the slick. Seems to do fine with or without it really when you're setting a good pace but when you're in traffic, I hate the attitude of LR, seems to drop easy when we are really woahed up. Could be driver to but seems like I need that shock on in the slick on entry and not when back on the gas. This slick one laners are tough because of the way drivers can dictate anothers entry.