PDA

View Full Version : Are water trucks being banned?

Clayton_Wetter
06-26-2016, 08:18 PM
It seem this season is going up in dust at my local tracks? How about yours?

Wondering why things have gotten so bad.

Seems these promoters are sold on making it this way, also.

hoodpin
06-26-2016, 08:28 PM
Work a track for a week and then get on here griping about promoters.

TheJet-09
06-26-2016, 08:30 PM
I've raced four nights this year at three different tracks and all the same...burnt off most certainly for the feature if not by the heat races. As a racer I'm okay with that because it tends to be easier on equipment and can be an equalizer of sorts for someone with my limited resources. But as for an entertainment or "racey" view, I'm not sure how the fans look at it. It seems to be pretty warm for this time of the year already and aside from notable storms here or there, the rain has pretty much stayed away. I don't know a lick about prepping a track so I'm not sure what the answer is. As long as I know what to expect it's all good by me!

blncfn57
06-26-2016, 08:34 PM
I've raced four nights this year at three different tracks and all the same...burnt off most certainly for the feature if not by the heat races. As a racer I'm okay with that because it tends to be easier on equipment and can be an equalizer of sorts for someone with my limited resources. But as for an entertainment or "racey" view, I'm not sure how the fans look at it. It seems to be pretty warm for this time of the year already and aside from notable storms here or there, the rain has pretty much stayed away. I don't know a lick about prepping a track so I'm not sure what the answer is. As long as I know what to expect it's all good by me!

I'm with you. It's easier on equipment and it takes more talent to race a slick racetrack. Anyone can be fast on a wet track. The down side is, the fans generally like what the drivers don't.... and vice versa

Clayton_Wetter
06-26-2016, 08:36 PM
http://image.hotrod.com/f/86707492+w660+h495+cr1/circle-track-dirt-track-volcanic-content.jpg

Looks like some people live at a track that has the fans in mind. Used to be a lot of this.

Clayton_Wetter
06-26-2016, 08:39 PM

If I were working at track prep, by GOD there would be a tacky surface and NO dust most of the night at least, or I would quit the job.

Krooser
06-26-2016, 08:44 PM
If the fans liked dry slick the grandstands would be full...

So many promoters today have this idea that you need to keep turning over the surface time and time again hoping to get a smooth, racy track.

Ask anyone who builds road for a living and they will laugh at that notion. You need to build a solid base, perhaps turnover the top 3" then water/water and water.

I hired a professional to do my track prep on my first go around promoting two dirt tracks. He graded the track right after the feature ended on race night (Friday). Then, depending on the weather, I'd water again on Wednesday night, Thursday night and, again, on mid-day Friday. Never turned it over... never fired up the grader. We enjoyed fast, tacky and smooth tracks every week. Good red clay. Over 100 cars per night (no late models).

The second year in biz we struggled to keep the track watered... big time drought. Our attendance dropped 25%. The fans told us they would come back when we could keep the dust down.

I know every track is different... surface/weather/temps. I know promoters who spend $500/week on diesel fuel for their equipment... there goes the profits!

dirt33
06-26-2016, 08:50 PM
Promoters "hear" the drivers more than they hear the fans, due to most often being "in the trenches" with the drivers in the pits, infield, etc. I think many promoters have just given in to what the drivers want, which is less water than more. A lot of promoters probably figure, heck, makes it easier for them to NOT have to work as much on prepping the track. Moyer didn't miss the chance to mention that Fairbury "likes their water" last night. LOL. Yeah, they do. And look at how many people show up to spectate!

I understand why the drivers with the loudest voices (as in, the most pull) do like it dry. But, i hope they realize that there has to be a happy medium for the fans' sake as well.

old fan
06-26-2016, 09:42 PM
I wonder how this new track system name syndi is working out Brewerton Speedway had it done and the new track in Central NewYork will also look it up

turnleftandgasit
06-26-2016, 09:46 PM
FALS has loved the water the last few years, but the weekly shows have seen a drier surface. No it probably wouldn't be called dry by other tracks standards, but in my opinion, they have been drier than normal. That being said, they had it good and wet for last nights SN race.

Highside Hustler25
06-26-2016, 09:53 PM
FALS has loved the water the last few years, but the weekly shows have seen a drier surface. No it probably wouldn't be called dry by other tracks standards, but in my opinion, they have been drier than normal. That being said, they had it good and wet for last nights SN race.

last nights race was proof that it can be done. it's been hotter and drier than a popcorn fart around these parts.

dirt33
06-26-2016, 09:53 PM
I wonder how this new track system name syndi is working out Brewerton Speedway had it done and the new track in Central NewYork will also look it up

If that is the stuff at Rolling Wheels (shown on MavTV often), it looks beyond terrible.

zyoung25
06-26-2016, 10:05 PM
Maybe their tires didn't come back clean?

plunks7
06-26-2016, 10:06 PM
last nights race was proof that it can be done. it's been hotter and drier than a popcorn fart around these parts.

You swore on this site. :) You are subject to a 3 month suspension unless you appeal!!! And if you so do choose to appeal. We will have the decision within 3 weeks. No tampering with foul language aloud. LOL

old fan
06-26-2016, 10:18 PM
If that is the stuff at Rolling Wheels (shown on MavTV often), it looks beyond terrible.not sure about rolling wheels seen videos of brewerton it never gets off the round

Dante Toledo, OH
06-26-2016, 10:36 PM
Oakshade uses a small water treatment fo as the pace car. They mist the track between every heat race.

ILRaceFan007
06-26-2016, 11:21 PM
Kind of a catch 22, isn't it boys? To have fans you need cars, to get cars you listen to the drivers, you listen to the drivers and the fans whine.

I, for one, must be in the minority. All I ask is for a smooth track with multiple grooves of racing and I don't care if it's wet or dry. One thing I DON'T like seeing is guys tear up their equipment...and if tracks are too wet or too rough or too hammerdown that it's wrecking expensive stuff, that's not what I want to see.

So if the drivers want it slick and if that brings the best drivers to the front and not just cubic dollars, then I'm all for it. I've been at a couple of tracks that were smooth, dry and dust free this year, and the racing was good. Nothing wrong with that. Water isn't the answer to everything.

huskerdirt
06-26-2016, 11:46 PM
Kind of a catch 22, isn't it boys? To have fans you need cars, to get cars you listen to the drivers, you listen to the drivers and the fans whine.

I, for one, must be in the minority. All I ask is for a smooth track with multiple grooves of racing and I don't care if it's wet or dry. One thing I DON'T like seeing is guys tear up their equipment...and if tracks are too wet or too rough or too hammerdown that it's wrecking expensive stuff, that's not what I want to see.

So if the drivers want it slick and if that brings the best drivers to the front and not just cubic dollars, then I'm all for it. I've been at a couple of tracks that were smooth, dry and dust free this year, and the racing was good. Nothing wrong with that. Water isn't the answer to everything.

I'm with you. One of the best weekly shows I've seen was on a dry slick surface. And no dry slick doesn't mean rubbered or dusty.

hoodpin
06-27-2016, 08:11 AM
If I were working at track prep, by GOD there would be a tacky surface and NO dust most of the night at least, or I would quit the job.

I'm sure there are plenty of workers that'll let you give it a shot. It's not as easy as it seems.

Josh Bayko
06-27-2016, 08:23 AM

It was scraped off Brewerton within a couple weeks, and depending on who takes Rolling Wheels over, it'll probably be scraped off there too. And the "new track in Central New York" isn't anywhere near done, and it's looking more and more likely that it's never going to happen.

It didn't help dust at all, in fact it may have made it worse, and it is absolutely brutal on tires.

manwplan
06-27-2016, 09:25 AM
Obviously prepping a dirt track isn't easy and lots of factors make it an inexact science. Sometimes even the best miss it because its not that easy. However what I see is most don't want to put in the effort to attempt to get the perfect track conditions. To me the perfect track is one that starts off a little wet and rolls up a small cushion or even a moisture strip at the top and then has a small moisture strip while the center slicks off. The problem is that takes lots of effort with water and grader and being patient. Most want to either rip up the surface and dump a pile of water on which leads to rough, wide open and torn up equipment which the fans enjoy and the drivers hate. Or the do nothing and dust is blowing in hot laps. The medium version is a surface that both fans and drivers enjoy. The racing ends up great and different driving styles will shine.

Racer2010
06-27-2016, 12:29 PM
That's all I want is a track that has more than one lane. It's not fun to follow the guy in front of you because you KNOW if you step out of line your losing at least 3 or 4 spots. There are tracks near my house that I drive by to go south for 3 hours and don't mind it! Plus they pay better.

Andrews42FAN
06-27-2016, 02:59 PM
Obviously prepping a dirt track isn't easy and lots of factors make it an inexact science. Sometimes even the best miss it because its not that easy. However what I see is most don't want to put in the effort to attempt to get the perfect track conditions. To me the perfect track is one that starts off a little wet and rolls up a small cushion or even a moisture strip at the top and then has a small moisture strip while the center slicks off. The problem is that takes lots of effort with water and grader and being patient. Most want to either rip up the surface and dump a pile of water on which leads to rough, wide open and torn up equipment which the fans enjoy and the drivers hate. Or the do nothing and dust is blowing in hot laps. The medium version is a surface that both fans and drivers enjoy. The racing ends up great and different driving styles will shine.

You mean Eldora? Describes that track pretty closely... I used to like hammer down, but over the years came to realize I have watched some of the best racing on dry slick. Speaking of surfaces, I know Learnerville put down new clay but I thought I had traveled to Tyler Co. WV instead of Sarver. Thats the worst I have ever experienced at Learnerville - raining dirt.

manwplan
06-27-2016, 04:40 PM
You mean Eldora? Describes that track pretty closely... I used to like hammer down, but over the years came to realize I have watched some of the best racing on dry slick. Speaking of surfaces, I know Learnerville put down new clay but I thought I had traveled to Tyler Co. WV instead of Sarver. Thats the worst I have ever experienced at Learnerville - raining dirt.

I said the same thing Friday night but darn was the racing good. I'll take a dirt shower as long as I can see and the racing is good.

Clayton_Wetter
06-27-2016, 08:16 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of workers that'll let you give it a shot. It's not as easy as it seems.

I never felt that it seemed easy. Just the right thing to do, with the extra effort.

But it is much easier to just sheep foot some loose dirt and never cut it up.

WWilliams52
06-27-2016, 08:25 PM
Can't forget Fairbury got a LOT of rain earlier in the week too. That helped the track for this past summernationals.

Highside Hustler25
06-27-2016, 09:43 PM
Can't forget Fairbury got a LOT of rain earlier in the week too. That helped the track for this past summernationals.

It always helps but that 4-5 inches got dumped by the bucket loads. Not very good soakers.

scrub_fan
06-28-2016, 10:04 PM
I was wondering with the cost of fuel and time to water towater tracks wouldn't some sort of sprinkler system be a better alternative could be timed to water whenever you wanted it to and however much water you wanted to put down

old fan
06-28-2016, 10:33 PM
sprinkler systems are not cheap if done right

70satomic
06-29-2016, 05:00 AM
I like to go to a track that's been properly prepped and possibly see a track record broken ( that's also been 8 years ago )

Clayton_Wetter
07-03-2016, 08:11 PM
I guess they read this thread. It was dustier than ever last night. Thank you for not caring about the fans!!

hoodpin
07-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Go to your local track and offer to help one weekend. You will be worn out, I will guarantee you that!!

Clayton_Wetter
07-04-2016, 07:40 PM
http://image.hotrod.com/f/86707891+w660+h495+cr1/dirt-track-prep-over-watered.jpg

Maybe the track wouldn't be dusty and blackened in hot laps if it was cut up 5 or 6 inches? How about giving it a try??

hoodpin
07-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Have you ever done it??

ChrisNunn
07-05-2016, 03:51 AM
Come on hoodpin. You know he's not going to get up off the bleachers to attempt it. If he has his way all the tracks would look like the abomination that Rockford was

old fan
07-05-2016, 05:59 AM
he 's a off road truck fan don't you know

Clayton_Wetter
07-05-2016, 05:01 PM
he 's a off road truck fan don't you know

Why do you send me emails about good race track surfaces with little dust and tacky and turn around and put me down on the forum? You can't have it both ways. Either you like dusty rock hard and usually one lane racing or you like the track prepared with some moisture down in it, which is it?

And CN your Rockford comment was uncalled for. It's just your way of being cute I realize.

I like a track to look like this.
http://www.rivercitiesspeedway.com/uploads/7/2/8/8/7288873/229842_orig.jpg

NOT THIS
http://www.speednik.com/files/2013/01/IMG_5285.jpg

When fans quit coming to races because of the dust, they don't usually call the promoter to tell them why. I am trying to make a difference for those people in the future and speaking up for them.

Why would people want to set at a track and get covered with dirt every Saturday night? Many have sinus and lung issues, I see them covering their mouths with rags but it gets in your eyes real bad to. I'm not afraid to point this out.

Water the track to keep the fans and bring the others that have quit back. Makes total sense.

I'm done talking with promoters about track issues. I've learned that it doesn't not make one bit a difference. They are going to do what they see fit. Been there and done that enough to have learned that much.

old fan
07-05-2016, 06:31 PM
if its good racing I will sit thru anything as long as the track does not lock down , and CW just giving you chit

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
07-05-2016, 06:41 PM
why do you send me emails about good race track surfaces with little dust and tacky and turn around and put me down on the forum? You can't have it both ways. Either you like dusty rock hard and usually one lane racing or you like the track prepared with some moisture down in it, which is it?

And cn your rockford comment was uncalled for. It's just your way of being cute i realize.

not this
http://www.speednik.com/files/2013/01/img_5285.jpg

when fans quit coming to races because of the dust, they don't usually call the promoter to tell them why. I am trying to make a difference for those people in the future and speaking up for them.

Why would people want to set at a track and get covered with dirt every saturday night? Many have sinus and lung issues, i see them covering their mouths with rags but it gets in your eyes real bad to. I'm not afraid to point this out.

Water the track to keep the fans and bring the others that have quit back. Makes total sense.

I'm done talking with promoters about track issues. I've learned that it doesn't not make one bit a difference. They are going to do what they see fit. Been there and done that enough to have learned that much.

see dubya i have to agree w u on this.

ChrisNunn
07-05-2016, 06:54 PM
I see some black slick in your reference picture.

FASTRAKPR
07-06-2016, 11:04 AM

I know we put 52 loads on a track this past weekend and it was dusty in the heats. Terrible.

Clayton_Wetter
07-06-2016, 04:22 PM

Yes you sure do, in the "NOT THIS" photo.

Clayton_Wetter
07-06-2016, 04:47 PM

What kind of equipment would I get to use? I'm partial to discs!! And a good harrow. Plus a water truck big enough to water a race track not a garden.

Or is it just a grader and the famous sheepsfoot? :)

Clayton_Wetter
07-10-2016, 07:54 PM
It happened again. The dust was just horrible. And a driver I talked too did hate the track surface.

Got a feeling this is all kind of controlled by certain people.

Rollover
07-11-2016, 03:54 PM
what track or tracks are you talking about?

hoodpin, what track do you or have you worked at?

Barbecueboy
07-11-2016, 04:33 PM
Why do you send me emails about good race track surfaces with little dust and tacky and turn around and put me down on the forum? You can't have it both ways. Either you like dusty rock hard and usually one lane racing or you like the track prepared with some moisture down in it, which is it?

And CN your Rockford comment was uncalled for. It's just your way of being cute I realize.

NOT THIS
http://www.speednik.com/files/2013/01/IMG_5285.jpg

When fans quit coming to races because of the dust, they don't usually call the promoter to tell them why. I am trying to make a difference for those people in the future and speaking up for them.

Why would people want to set at a track and get covered with dirt every Saturday night? Many have sinus and lung issues, I see them covering their mouths with rags but it gets in your eyes real bad to. I'm not afraid to point this out.

It's all social medias fault.........

zeroracing
07-11-2016, 04:48 PM
From the owner of a car standpoint it is a fraction of the cost to race on dry slick as is it on heavy. If we race a slick track we have very little wear and tear, motor does not work hard and car is easy to get ready for the next race. If we race on heavy we usually have more random things bend, break, bind up... Also we work the motors very hard. A modern car produces so much more traction than the days when everything was heavy all the time, track goes heavy we don't take it out we just work on getting it to turn. Also typically heavy tracks get more guys to try to be superman and usually end up with much more body damage.

From the driver stand point, a track with a good cushion and or tacky hammer down is a lot of fun to drive on, I won't lie there. However Dry is a challenge as well. I dislike rough, tacky and smooth is a blast though.

If all tracks were tacky all the time you would see much less cars, same reason many bigger tracks are struggling at times. Our cars now can put down everything we have to offer if there is bite in the track, so something starts to break. It is fun to race on but not feasible to keep it going long term. The answer is not easy, it's not aerodynamics or shocks or bump stops or four links it is the combo of everything. One rule won't make the cars suddenly slow down. Look at cars like the USRA b mods, 3 links and limited motors, some of them are flat flying! Knowledge is growing in the sport at all levels and guys are figuring out ways to keep getting more power down and speeds up. The by product of that is very few can afford to race heavy hammer down and or big tracks weekly.

old fan
07-11-2016, 05:32 PM
maybe the cars need to be changed then just a thought

Clayton_Wetter
07-12-2016, 08:43 PM
Sometimes I think there is a deal going on between the promoter and the tire distributors. There's enough rubber put down to wear down a lot of tires. Thus they sell more tires and take a cut of the action!

old fan
07-13-2016, 06:10 AM
didn't see much rubber put down Saturday night at Highland speedway and you know brownstown has always been that way but look also the car counts you think that might have something to with it

Clayton_Wetter
07-13-2016, 02:38 PM
didn't see much rubber put down Saturday night at Highland speedway and you know brownstown has always been that way but look also the car counts you think that might have something to with it

No it's showing black way before hot laps are even over.

hoodpin
07-13-2016, 03:27 PM
Happens to tracks all over the country. If it bothers you that bad I'd get a new hobby or stay home. Simple solution.

Barbecueboy
07-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Sometimes I think there is a deal going on between the promoter and the tire distributors. There's enough rubber put down to wear down a lot of tires. Thus they sell more tires and take a cut of the action!

This comment could also fit nicely into just about any tire doping thread..........it's all really about selling tires.

Sorta like the speed limits across the country..........put in and enforced under the guise of safety and while all that may be true to an extent and was what it was first intended for,it's real purpose now a days is more for a revenue stream and to line the coffers.

Clayton_Wetter
07-13-2016, 04:43 PM
Happens to tracks all over the country. If it bothers you that bad I'd get a new hobby or stay home. Simple solution.

Maybe many will start doing just that. Or continue to, it's happening, like it or not.

Fix the problem, seems the better answer.

Clayton_Wetter
07-13-2016, 04:45 PM
This comment could also fit nicely into just about any tire doping thread..........it's all really about selling tires.

Sorta like the speed limits across the country..........put in and enforced under the guise of safety and while all that may be true to an extent and was what it was first intended for,it's real purpose now a days is more for a revenue stream and to line the coffers.

Yes the tire business is busy with all the extra tires needed for dry slick racing. And the side business of chemicals for them.

I would think that this is something the EPA would jump on sooner or later the way things are going.

Barbecueboy
07-13-2016, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure about the side business thing, but they sell more tires because of the tire rules in place and that's pretty much a fact.........I don't think even the dumbest mutt would disagree.

old fan
07-13-2016, 06:02 PM
How about less classes

old fan
07-13-2016, 06:05 PM
And clayton you need to find another track