PDA

View Full Version : Birky Interview on DoD

BirkyTime15B
06-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Proud to say I have seen him win so many times! Most of those races were @ Davenport, West Liberty, Farley, Dubuque, Freeport, LaSalle, and Knoxville. I sure will miss seeing the 15B on the track and in pits...Great job DoD for the interview well done, and thank you Brian!

huskerdirt
06-29-2016, 04:42 PM
Yep, very good interview.

It's out of his system now. I appreciate everything he's done in the sport. I'll never forget that night in 1997 when he beat the ump boys at Ceresco. Or the walk off win at Knoxville.

BirkyTime15B
06-29-2016, 04:57 PM
So many good stories to tell. Poor guy is just burnt out. Plus he elaborated on the fact that to compete at the top it requires tremendous amounts of money. Crazy to think about guys being done...Birky, Darren Miller, Brady Smith...the list goes on. I guess I'll for sure have to find a new guy to get behind now that the 15B is done. After reading that, I know he will never be in a racecar ever again.

huskerdirt
06-29-2016, 05:03 PM
So many good stories to tell. Poor guy is just burnt out. Plus he elaborated on the fact that to compete at the top it requires tremendous amounts of money. Crazy to think about guys being done...Birky, Darren Miller, Brady Smith...the list goes on. I guess I'll for sure have to find a new guy to get behind now that the 15B is done. After reading that, I know he will never be in a racecar ever again.

Don't blame him one bit. This sport much like any job/career it will chew you up and spit you out.

dirt33
06-29-2016, 05:21 PM
I enjoyed the article as well. Great job by Kevin Kovac. Just reading it, you could feel how burnt out Brian is when it comes to racing. The most telling line to me was the one where he took the car back to his shop and then sat there and realized that this is why he quit in the first place.

BirkyTime15B
06-29-2016, 05:54 PM
Couldn't agree more. Just sad to see and hear. It's all over with!

klemmabyna
06-29-2016, 06:25 PM
a story of why birky was a fan favorite:

Brian (alone), walking the pavement under the Knoxville grandstands, to a fan wearing a 15B t-shirt: "Hey, nice shirt!"

the fan wasn't even trying to talk to him, and brian made a point to say something to the fan. I say that was rare as most racers just would like to be left alone at the track.

burnout factor and money: makes you appreciate what the moyer/bloomquists, and other long time stars (including regional racers) of our sport do to keep the fire burning.

Thanks to all.

kidrock
06-29-2016, 07:51 PM
Great article, once you get away from the everyday grind you find out you just don't want it anymore especially when you have a family. You realize how much your missing out when your either gone so much or out working on the car. Glad to hear he's out enjoy his time with his family because, he will never regret that decision.