PDA

View Full Version : Rockford 6/30

intel8
06-30-2016, 06:17 PM
34 Lates signed in.

GRT24
06-30-2016, 06:19 PM
Was told that it went down to the asphalt coming off 2 and 4 last night and the track was peeling up pretty bad.

intel8
06-30-2016, 06:31 PM
A spot in turn 2 and 4, say 8 inch pot hole down to asphalt, whole track was motocross style. Hats off to those drivers, they got some balls, incredible speeds!

BirkyTime15B
06-30-2016, 06:44 PM
Listening to drivers responses last night its amazing nobody was hurt. Hate knocking new events but it sounded borderline dangerous!

Cardirt0
06-30-2016, 06:56 PM
The dirt needed to be down on the track for a week and that would of helped.. Needed to set some.Pack and water it for a week, and It still may come up but less likely ...

intel8
06-30-2016, 07:34 PM
OMG! Rough dusty track, PATHETIC!

Cardirt0
06-30-2016, 07:58 PM
Richards 8 place in last Chance Looks like Needs free pass to start in the back

dirtyboy
06-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Little water is all that track needed

chupp n bloomer fan
06-30-2016, 08:20 PM
On DoD it says they only put down 8" of dirt. I've been in construction/excavating my whole life. Eight inches of dirt is nothing. It needs to be at least double that, more like 2'.

intel8
06-30-2016, 08:21 PM
Rain delay now! Track needs a grader, sheepsfoot, and someone that knows what they are doing!

intel8
06-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Yeah, it wasn't a whole lot, lol, poor racers!

jr29
06-30-2016, 08:34 PM
The video of the sprints last night was incredible....and not in a good way.
Hopefully they get it together tonight.

BadgerDirt01
06-30-2016, 09:03 PM
Last night they had the grader, sheepsfoot, roller, and tiller. Great crowd last night. Both midget and sprint drivers were trying to be nice, but admittedly said the track was not safe. Hope they try again next year and learn.

intel8
07-01-2016, 12:12 AM
Brian Shirley wins Rockford Baja 30

huskerdirt
07-01-2016, 12:20 AM
There probably won't be a next year at Rockford.

intel8
07-01-2016, 12:28 AM
Let's hope so Husker, worst track I have ever seen, no dirt racer should ever come back here.

pkracer
07-01-2016, 01:07 AM
WOW!!!!!! That track was terrible..........

MEE
07-01-2016, 01:52 AM
I think that was the roughest track I've ever seen

racecar1127
07-01-2016, 02:12 AM
Track only got down to the wood chips under the dirt. There were rocks in there that my kids picked up after the race that were the size of a 16 inch softball. Overall I am glad they tried but next year just hold it at sycamore speedway or any dirt track . Congrats to the drivers that braved it. Fun to watch but wouldn't want to be a driver.

J20in1st
07-01-2016, 03:21 AM
Track only got down to the wood chips under the dirt. There were rocks in there that my kids picked up after the race that were the size of a 16 inch softball. Overall I am glad they tried but next year just hold it at sycamore speedway or any dirt track . Congrats to the drivers that braved it. Fun to watch but wouldn't want to be a driver.

Deery owns Rockford, Deery runs WOO, that's why it happened

chupp n bloomer fan
07-01-2016, 04:16 AM
And if the dirt is being hauled in, which obviously it was, why use dirt, not clay, full of big rocks? Use clay, and run it over a screen to get rid of the boulders.

Sounds like a thrown together real quick, money making endeavor. And they definitely tore up some stuff last night. Never seen cars bounce like that. Shocks, springs, bars, be some fuked up stuff. Even if it doesn't show it, I wouldn't wanna run that stuff again.

Highside Hustler25
07-01-2016, 05:12 AM
That was painful to watch. Josh was the smart one. 2 laps and pulled off. Will be interesting to see all the parts failures in the next couple events. Definitely some hurt stuff from a track that resembled motocross. You just knew after the rain hit that track was toast.

kazual
07-01-2016, 06:50 AM
Temporary dirt track, pretty tough gig. Existing dirt tracks that bring in new dirt often fight it for many weeks or months before it gets consistent. Wonder if the promoters of the St.Louis December indoor event were there taking notes? Racing midgets at the Chili Bowl is way different than having 2300 pound cars with big tires on a temporary surface.

turnleftandgasit
07-01-2016, 07:02 AM
While track conditions will be a concern in December, the difference will be no weather to effect the track, and it's December in the Midwest, so no other entertainment to schedule against.

BirkyTime15B
07-01-2016, 07:59 AM
Sure was excited for the event...2 nights of horrible track conditions I will never go back to an asphalt/dirt transitioned track. I feel bad for all the teams involved both nights. That was a dangerous track for drivers, and grueling for equipment. I'm shocked that they had that many cars after the sprint car race. Oh well, one and done for sure, I should've stayed in Davenport for Iowa Governors Cup. 15K Dominating!!!

CIRF
07-01-2016, 08:37 AM
Racing midgets at the Chili Bowl is way different than having 2300 pound cars with big tires on a temporary surface.Way different and way better.

To be short and concise this was the biggest cluster **** I have ever witnessed at a race track.

I'm curious as to whether the WoO late model organization routinely allows a car/cars to enter the track under green flag conditions after the race has started, run 2 laps and exit the track. This happened during the first of two last chance races last night. The race went green and the cars had raced at least one lap and probably two when Richards entered the track. Then after running two laps Richards then exited the track. I don't recall ever seeing that allowed. Richards had earlier fallen out of his heat race after his car had come to a stop on the track. It looked as if he was merely running a couple of laps during his last chance race to shake the car down but that is just an assumption. I have never seen that happen before.

Aces&Eights
07-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Gee-Wiz! How many drivers made Chiropractor appointments this morning. Craziest track surface I've ever seen. They're gonna have to check or replace every bolt on those cars, before the next race. Bet at next event you see a lot of part failures. If a man would've shown up there with a Rayburn Swingarm car he could've walked the dog on all them "Pogo-Sticking" geniuses. Ridiculous, to the extreme!

chupp n bloomer fan
07-01-2016, 09:05 AM
Way different and way better.

To be short and concise this was the biggest cluster **** I have ever witnessed at a race track.

I'm curious as to whether the WoO late model organization routinely allows a car/cars to enter the track under green flag conditions after the race has started, run 2 laps and exit the track. This happened during the first of two last chance races last night. The race went green and the cars had raced at least one lap and probably two when Richards entered the track. Then after running two laps Richards then exited the track. I don't recall ever seeing that allowed. Richards had earlier fallen out of his heat race after his car had come to a stop on the track. It looked as if he was merely running a couple of laps during his last chance race to shake the car down but that is just an assumption. I have never seen that happen before.He was still scored last, and if it wasn't out in front of the field, I've seen it happen.

bullring
07-01-2016, 09:19 AM
You guys that think it's one and done don't know Rockford Speedway very well. If there was $5 profit after the books are done, they'll run it again. And by my calculations, there will be a lot more than $5 left over when they are done.

Wendell 6M
07-01-2016, 09:56 AM
Rockford sucked big time
To WOO get a new announcer

CIRF
07-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Gee-Wiz! How many drivers made Chiropractor appointments this morning. Craziest track surface I've ever seen. They're gonna have to check or replace every bolt on those cars, before the next race. Bet at next event you see a lot of part failures. If a man would've shown up there with a Rayburn Swingarm car he could've walked the dog on all them "Pogo-Sticking" geniuses. Ridiculous, to the extreme!A&E, I said the same thing as we were walking out. There absolutely had to be some drivers who will feel the effects of 40 to 50 green flag laps on that "racetrack" for years to come!

He was still scored last, and if it wasn't out in front of the field, I've seen it happen.So cnbf, this is a common occurrence among the major dirt late model sanctions?

Hypothetically speaking, what if a driver would happen to bolt out onto the track, as Richards did last night, and innocently misjudges where the pack of cars are on the track who have already taken the green flag and his presence initiates a crash that eliminates the lead car or the lead 3 or 4 cars? Even if the race is just a heat race or B-main that is not good.

Generally, if a car doesn't take the initial green flag of a race it is not allowed to join the field and that seems fair and just. Seems very unprofessional regardless of where the car in question is scored.

CIRF
07-01-2016, 10:13 AM
You guys that think it's one and done don't know Rockford Speedway very well. If there was $5 profit after the books are done, they'll run it again. And by my calculations, there will be a lot more than $5 left over when they are done.You're dead on in regards to how much will be left over after the expenses are remove from the gross. We went both nights and the place was nearly completely full for the sprint cars and midgets. Admittedly the crowd was no where near as large for the late models as for the sprint cars and midgets but there was a decent showing for the dirt late's, nonetheless.

Craftsman tools more than likely kicked a fair amount of cash into the effort, as well. It would appear that Rockford probably made a pretty decent profit on the whole deal.

Rockford sucked big time
To WOO get a new announcerGotta' agree with you Wendell, the guy was a yeller and a screamer and listening to those guys is like being next to a car that has it's panic alarm going off. Yeesh!

56GWebbfan
07-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Usually not a complainer - and I'm not going to complain about the racing surface (somewhat expected) but $60 to park my RV in the parking lot for one night. Come on Rockford Speedway - $60? And to complain about our spacing - ridiculous. Nice way to welcome new people to the Speedway

Aces&Eights
07-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Its possible to put dirt over asphalt and have a good track, there are 3 previously asphalt dirt tracks near me. One being Dixie Speedway near Atlanta and Lavonia Speedway up I-85 near SC border and Senoia, south of Atlanta. Now I know some will raise a fuss about Lavonia being dusty and not usually racy, but its not the fault of the pavement underneath. First year they did Bristol it came up like Rockford, wheels were breaking everywhere. Duralite ran and adv saying, "Only Wheel to survive Battle of Bristol". Second Bristol didn't come apart, not sure what was different. Are they staying dirt or are they going back to asphalt when done? Anybody know?

zach51
07-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Oh but St. Louis will be fine because they'll have 400 cars to pack it in........

huskerdirt
07-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Oh but St. Louis will be fine because they'll have 400 cars to pack it in........

The time table to lay the dirt at St Louis will be so much greater than Rockford. St Louis will have weeks and Rockford had like 72 hours. Apples to Oranges my friend.

Comparing the two or making a sweeping judgment on how St Louis will go is completely short sided.

They laid dirt down at Berlin for 2 years. It worked out pretty well compared to Rockford. They also had WEEKS to lay it down and get it right.

bullring
07-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Its possible to put dirt over asphalt and have a good track, there are 3 previously asphalt dirt tracks near me. One being Dixie Speedway near Atlanta and Lavonia Speedway up I-85 near SC border and Senoia, south of Atlanta. Now I know some will raise a fuss about Lavonia being dusty and not usually racy, but its not the fault of the pavement underneath. First year they did Bristol it came up like Rockford, wheels were breaking everywhere. Duralite ran and adv saying, "Only Wheel to survive Battle of Bristol". Second Bristol didn't come apart, not sure what was different. Are they staying dirt or are they going back to asphalt when done? Anybody know?

They are racing some local divisions Saturday night and then taking off the dirt.

dirt33
07-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Usually not a complainer - and I'm not going to complain about the racing surface (somewhat expected) but $60 to park my RV in the parking lot for one night. Come on Rockford Speedway - $60? And to complain about our spacing - ridiculous. Nice way to welcome new people to the Speedway

$60? Wow. Please tell me they had water, electric, and sewer hookups for that price? If the $60 was simply to park in the lot, wow, that tops "$40 to park at Jerry World for a George Strait concert" as the most ridiculous parking "gouging" that I have heard of.

TS FAN
07-01-2016, 03:35 PM
All I can say is WOW> Rockford was awful. I didn't read all the posts on here, and I am sure it was covered. WOO cannot be happy with that mess

zach51
07-01-2016, 03:50 PM
So unhappy they decided to make it non-points and reward the golden child.

56GWebbfan
07-01-2016, 03:52 PM
$60? Wow. Please tell me they had water, electric, and sewer hookups for that price? If the $60 was simply to park in the lot, wow, that tops "$40 to park at Jerry World for a George Strait concert" as the most ridiculous parking "gouging" that I have heard of.

No water, no electric, nada...and I was nervous putting up my awning. Neighbor was told that he would be charged for two sites with a canopy to block the sun....HILARIOUS. Have had my RV at many tracks, typical price $0. Would have paid $20, no problem. And when it started to rain...they let cars park in the RV area, couldn't even put up my awning (car too close) to block the rain. $60 well spent, thanks. And I was thinking about attending the Short Track Championships, not.

intel8
07-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Yeah, $60 just to camp on their lot! Best part of the deal was the variety of food on the concourse, very good too.

dirt33
07-01-2016, 04:04 PM
No water, no electric, nada...and I was nervous putting up my awning. Neighbor was told that he would be charged for two sites with a canopy to block the sun....HILARIOUS. Have had my RV at many tracks, typical price $0. Would have paid $20, no problem. And when it started to rain...they let cars park in the RV area, couldn't even put up my awning (car too close) to block the rain. $60 well spent, thanks. And I was thinking about attending the Short Track Championships, not.

Well, I hope the powers that be are happy with the money they took in over the course of the two days. Sounds about like the Indy deal.... To heck with satisfied customers, just maximize profits for a one time deal!

bullring
07-01-2016, 05:00 PM
So unhappy they decided to make it non-points and reward the golden child.

When did they decide to make that a non points race. I hadn't heard that, but that would explain why Richards didn't even attempt to race.

MI Dirt Fan
07-01-2016, 05:23 PM
The time table to lay the dirt at St Louis will be so much greater than Rockford. St Louis will have weeks and Rockford had like 72 hours. Apples to Oranges my friend.

Comparing the two or making a sweeping judgment on how St Louis will go is completely short sided.

They laid dirt down at Berlin for 2 years. It worked out pretty well compared to Rockford. They also had WEEKS to lay it down and get it right.
Berlin was still pretty rough especially the first time I believed it rained then. Turned into a motorcross track. (Maybe that's why they aren't having it anymore?) Take time and properly put clay down on Kalamazoo Speedway and you'll see a h3lluva show.

The problem is when you put dirt/ clay down on asphalt it can't compress from the force of the cars so it just keeps building ruts. It would have to be at least 8-10 inches deep to handle it. Unlike a regular dirt track can over time. Not saying a regular dirt track can't have ruts because they can and do. Just an engineering aspect.

dirt33
07-01-2016, 05:25 PM
When did they decide to make that a non points race. I hadn't heard that, but that would explain why Richards didn't even attempt to race.

I do not know at what point during the evening's event it was officially declared, but yes, last night's show awarded only WoO show up points to all cars.

Highside Hustler25
07-01-2016, 05:28 PM
You guys that think it's one and done don't know Rockford Speedway very well. If there was $5 profit after the books are done, they'll run it again. And by my calculations, there will be a lot more than $5 left over when they are done.

Oh, they might run it. The stands might be empty as well.

Bubstr
07-01-2016, 06:20 PM
I do not know at what point during the evening's event it was officially declared, but yes, last night's show awarded only WoO show up points to all cars.

You mean to tell us, that all those people that paid to see a WOO points race, didn't get what they paid for? This race should have been awarded double points for the beatings the drivers took from the rough track.

racecar1127
07-01-2016, 07:45 PM
Was it the drivers that wanted to only go 30 laps or because of the late time after the rain delay. who makes the call to shorten the race.

huskerdirt
07-01-2016, 08:34 PM
Was it the drivers that wanted to only go 30 laps or because of the late time after the rain delay. who makes the call to shorten the race.

I imagine the late night, along with track conditions figured into the 30 lap non points show.

dirtdobber45
07-01-2016, 08:39 PM
I do not know at what point during the evening's event it was officially declared, but yes, last night's show awarded only WoO show up points to all cars.Wow I cant believe the regulars went ahead and raced...that was taking a big chance of damaging your car for a non points race when you have two more 'points' racing still to come this weekend. With a day off(today) to check everything and fix. I love to race like the everybody else but I wouldnt risk it if I was running for points title

old fan
07-01-2016, 09:01 PM
which half didn't take the night off

intel8
07-01-2016, 09:18 PM
Gotta like Shirley, Erb, Chub, Clanton, and all that finished. They went ahead and raced knowing the hard schedule ahead, Kid Rocket, lol!!!!! Champion??????.............

chupp n bloomer fan
07-01-2016, 11:52 PM
A&E, I said the same thing as we were walking out. There absolutely had to be some drivers who will feel the effects of 40 to 50 green flag laps on that "racetrack" for years to come!

So cnbf, this is a common occurrence among the major dirt late model sanctions?

Hypothetically speaking, what if a driver would happen to bolt out onto the track, as Richards did last night, and innocently misjudges where the pack of cars are on the track who have already taken the green flag and his presence initiates a crash that eliminates the lead car or the lead 3 or 4 cars? Even if the race is just a heat race or B-main that is not good.

Generally, if a car doesn't take the initial green flag of a race it is not allowed to join the field and that seems fair and just. Seems very unprofessional regardless of where the car in question is scored.I wouldn't say common, but I've seen it happen. If it's wreckless, then no, no matter who it is, park them. Kyle Hardy did that screwing up I think Jackie Boggs.

CIRF
07-02-2016, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't say common, but I've seen it happen. If it's wreckless, then no, no matter who it is, park them. Kyle Hardy did that screwing up I think Jackie Boggs.Thanks for the clarification, cnbf.

In this instance it didn't pose any danger to man or equipment but it was a situation that I had never seen before. I have no real leanings either way in regards to Richards and I wasn't at all trying to imply that it was an indictment of the WoO being partial to him. Others that follow the WoO far more extensively than I can weigh the validity, or lack thereof, of that being the case.

However, I was surprised at the time and even more surprised that it's a practice that is allowed from time to time. But then again, I may be easily surprised! LOL! As I said, it seems very unprofessional.

56GWebbfan
07-02-2016, 10:17 AM
Received word from the Speedway in regards to the cost associated with camping. They indicate that the price was established by the WOO organization. Just wanted to be fair to the Speedway in regards to my concern. I will be contacting WOO. I'll return next year - minus my RV.

bullring
07-02-2016, 10:29 AM
That makes no sense that they would let World of Outlaws set their camping prices. Sounds like somebody trying to pass the buck. Keep us posted on what you find out.

CIRF
07-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Received word from the Speedway in regards to the cost associated with camping. They indicate that the price was established by the WOO organization. Just wanted to be fair to the Speedway in regards to my concern. I will be contacting WOO. I'll return next year - minus my RV.Thanks for doing the leg work on this. We were seriously thinking of taking the camper to Rockford for the dirt shows but work intervened on those plans. Glad we didn't.

That makes no sense that they would let World of Outlaws set their camping prices. Sounds like somebody trying to pass the buck. Keep us posted on what you find out.
I'll second this post.

old fan
07-02-2016, 10:56 AM
12 buck camping 11 miles away

dirt33
07-02-2016, 11:26 AM

I'll third this.

dirt33
07-02-2016, 11:27 AM
12 buck camping 11 miles away

Within an 11 mile radius of pretty much any race track, a person could find a place to camp for free. But then, "11 miles from the track" kinda defeats the purpose.

old fan
07-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Within an 11 mile radius of pretty much any race track, a person could find a place to camp for free. But then, "11 miles from the track" kinda defeats the purpose.what you want every thing free and given to you geesh you want to camp close you pay if not then don't complain

dirt33
07-02-2016, 11:45 AM
what you want every thing free and given to you geesh you want to camp close you pay if not then don't complain

The point being covered here is that $60 is excessive. Yeah, parking an RV at a dirt track (with no hookups/amenities) SHOULD be free, but a fee more like $20 would have been tolerable.

bullring
07-02-2016, 02:20 PM
$60 was to park rv for full event. Obviously they weren't using that spot so for one day at most should have been 30. But they see a guy pull in with an rv, especially if you have out of state plates, they're going to try to get as much as they can out of you

racecar1127
07-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Saw plenty of rv s parked across the street in menards parking lot.

J20in1st
07-02-2016, 03:10 PM
The daughter is just killing the joint.

Bubstr
07-02-2016, 04:07 PM
I won't be back. With or without a RV. Nothing turns me off more than greed. Doesn't matter if it was the track or the sanctioning body.

XRACER1993
07-02-2016, 04:23 PM
What is with you people ?.. A track try's something new.. we all learn by trial and error.. Instead of trying to bust Rockford's balls, you should be glad they tryed something new !.. Cost or no cost, dirt late model fans get screwed all the time with 40 lap and 50 lap features !.. $10,000.00 + should should be 100 lappers like they used to be... paved track's have them, so can dirt... if you think the cost is too much for motor homes or tickets.. stay home !... and as far as pulling a point's races, because a certain golden boy dont want to race..who get's screwed again.. the fan's.. paying and traveling to see a woo race.. watch what you say, because there will be a day when we have no track's to go too.. then what would you say ??.. Just my opinion...

turnleftandgasit
07-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Will suck not getting to go somewhere and get screwed........NOT

427c.i.
07-02-2016, 06:06 PM
What is with you people ?.. A track try's something new.. we all learn by trial and error.. Instead of trying to bust Rockford's balls, you should be glad they tryed something new !.. Cost or no cost, dirt late model fans get screwed all the time with 40 lap and 50 lap features !.. $10,000.00 + should should be 100 lappers like they used to be... paved track's have them, so can dirt... if you think the cost is too much for motor homes or tickets.. stay home !... and as far as pulling a point's races, because a certain golden boy dont want to race..who get's screwed again.. the fan's.. paying and traveling to see a woo race.. watch what you say, because there will be a day when we have no track's to go too.. then what would you say ??.. Just my opinion...

I do applaud Rockford trying something new and if it had been on a weekend, we would have been there.
That being said, when fans start to feel gouged by the track...they stop going. One of the great things about dirt racing is the fact that it is much more affordable and a better show than NASCAR. NASCAR priced themselves out of the game with (among other things) high prices and look at the stands.
Dirt is heading that way with $30 admissions for 10k to win, high prices for primitive camping, high priced, cheapest possible food concessions, etc.
I have the money to go but I'm starting to look at the amount of time entertained vs. overall cost.
Taking a family to one of these events has gotten to where people think about what options are available for their $$ spent.
Social media may be part of the problem but greed and gouging isn't helping things either.
I recently paid $30 to watch a one lane racetrack and after the event, the promoter took to social media with excuses about the heat. If you knew it was gonna be bad, why did you open the gates in the first place? $$$$$.
...just my opinion...

XRACER1993
07-02-2016, 08:52 PM
I would not go to a NASCAR race if you paid me and gave me free tickets !.. Way too much b/s and yellow flag lap's , lap after lap... If $30.00 ticket price's for a 100 lap feature for dirt would be ok.. but not 30-50 lap's.. In the tri-state area, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio, they race Outlaw Late Models..( paved) , and lot's of those track's charge $12.00 to $15.00 for a 100 lap feature.. That is way affordable... they dont cry like some dirt driver's.. track is too heavy, or the berm.. etc.. getting to be like the dirt boy's want the track's dry and slick.. sound's like a paved track to me.. way too many baby's on dirt now a days...

old fan
07-02-2016, 09:30 PM
but its paved I wouldn't go across the street for a paved show

427c.i.
07-02-2016, 09:52 PM
I bet if paved racers had to race on a track that rough, they'd be complaining too.
That track was almost as bad as Illinois roads.

racecar1127
07-02-2016, 10:05 PM
I don't think I have paid under 30 dollars to go to a sanctioned race ( woo, summernationals, Lucas). Very few are 100 laps any more. And with a lot of them becoming 2 day races they are becoming very unfan friendly.

old fan
07-02-2016, 10:19 PM
I don't think I have paid under 30 dollars to go to a sanctioned race ( woo, summernationals, Lucas). Very few are 100 laps any more. And with a lot of them becoming 2 day races they are becoming very unfan friendly.there is only 2 2 day shows for summer nats wed night was 25 bucks in 2 weeks its 12 bucks to get in twice its ashame its 8 hours away

old fan
07-02-2016, 10:28 PM
I bet if paved racers had to race on a track that rough, they'd be complaining too. That track was almost as bad as Illinois roads.why would a paved race track be remotely rough I am confused , maybe next year you can get the track in raceable condition what do you say

racecar1127
07-03-2016, 10:34 AM
LaSalle. 30 bucks to get in July 4th

old fan
07-03-2016, 10:39 AM
for a 5 k that's a rip off