PDA

View Full Version : Split birdcage

Bmod141
07-01-2016, 08:30 AM
I've noticed a few cars lately that have a split birdcage. I don't know if this is the correct term, but you have the standard 4 link brackets on the rear end, and then you have the shock/spring on a separate system. So the 4 link bars and shock/spring are not connected. It was very surprising when I looked under a car and saw 4 bars on the LR alone. Two for rear end location, one for brake floater and one for shock and spring.My guess is the advantage to this is to take some bind out of the suspension? I don't have a late model, but just simply trying to learn.Thanks.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-01-2016, 08:34 AM
I've noticed a few cars lately that have a split birdcage. I don't know if this is the correct term, but you have the standard 4 link brackets on the rear end, and then you have the shock/spring on a separate system. So the 4 link bars and shock/spring are not connected. It was very surprising when I looked under a car and saw 4 bars on the LR alone. Two for rear end location, one for brake floater and one for shock and spring.My guess is the advantage to this is to take some bind out of the suspension? I don't have a late model, but just simply trying to learn.Thanks.

The idea is to be able to alter the dynamic wheel rate without effecting all the other stuff involved with the 4 links (steer, thrust angle, etc). You should be able to get a lot more spring index.

Under the new unified rules package or Lucas rules, this is 100% illegal.

I am fairly certain that is what was on the Rocket House Car last summer when it went on a tear.

Bmod141
07-01-2016, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info!