PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time any tech person check this????

Hovlane
07-01-2016, 06:27 PM
Fire suppression system, belts, fire suits ect.... Oh wait nevermind most series don't even have actual rules about these safety items, they only have recommendations to follow. Hey I guess you have to have priorities... It's a shame that Sanctioning bodies, drivers and fans don't have the same passion about safety rules or the lack thereof as they do about what you did with your tires... CHARLIE WHO?

Necrosis
07-01-2016, 07:59 PM
Best. Post. Yet.

Barbecueboy
07-01-2016, 08:00 PM
Fire suppression system, belts, fire suits ect.... Oh wait nevermind most series don't even have actual rules about these safety items, they only have recommendations to follow. Hey I guess you have to have priorities... It's a shame that Sanctioning bodies, drivers and fans don't have the same passion about safety rules or the lack thereof as they do about what you did with your tires... CHARLIE WHO?

Wait what??

Krooser
07-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Doesn't Lucas require a containment seat?

Most drivers will buy whatever they think will keep them safe... they don't need anyone telling them what's safe.

I've been burned twice so I adopted a two layer Hinchman suit almost 40 years ago before most even wore a suit. And I wore Nomex undies, too. Bought a Simpson Bandit full face helmet when an old motorcycle helmet was OK. And there weren't any requirements to do so...

This year I went retro and bought an open face helmet... really like the improved peripheral vision...

dirtdobber45
07-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Fire suppression system, belts, fire suits ect.... Oh wait nevermind most series don't even have actual rules about these safety items, they only have recommendations to follow. Hey I guess you have to have priorities... It's a shame that Sanctioning bodies, drivers and fans don't have the same passion about safety rules or the lack thereof as they do about what you did with your tires... CHARLIE WHO?Excellent post. Why have a rule book?

old fan
07-01-2016, 08:56 PM
how about most drivers do not use the safer 1 piece solid steering wheel I know only a few drivers that uses them

MI Dirt Fan
07-01-2016, 09:15 PM
Even the best of everything can't always save you. If its gonna happen, its gonna happen regardless.

zeroracing
07-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Honestly much of the safety stuff if probably recommended for two reasons.

1. Liability, if I tell you to wear xyz and you still get hurt I may be more liable. Sad world but true.
2. Old School drivers resist and throw a fit to the series about rules like these, gloves are a big one I see, ton of old school guys refusing to wear gloves.

Krooser
07-01-2016, 09:42 PM
I see where Lucas 'recommends' a containment seat... personally these LM's are too tough to get in and out without a seat getting in the way in an emergency.

They do require Snell rated helmets, 3.2A/5 suits, gloves, etc.

RRRKKK
07-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Well if you safety tech a car you certify it's safe too race. Then you have a wreck and get hurt, you said it's safe too race. Who gets sued. By the way there is NO MOVE OVER FLAG!

MI Dirt Fan
07-01-2016, 10:36 PM
Well if you safety tech a car you certify it's safe too race. Then you have a wreck and get hurt, you said it's safe too race. Who gets sued. By the way there is NO MOVE OVER FLAG!

Yes there is. Its the blue flag with a yellow stripe.

chupp n bloomer fan
07-01-2016, 11:45 PM
Well if you safety tech a car you certify it's safe too race. Then you have a wreck and get hurt, you said it's safe too race. Who gets sued. By the way there is NO MOVE OVER FLAG!Been a move over flag, hold your line flag ever since I've been going to the races. So about 32 yrs.

RRRKKK
07-02-2016, 08:21 AM
Hold your position I agree never was a move over flag

davis2902
07-02-2016, 08:43 AM
That flag means there is a race going on and you're not in it.

jog49
07-02-2016, 08:47 AM
Exactly! LOL!

BIGSTEVE00
07-02-2016, 09:48 AM

I couldn't agree more. Very good post. It really hits home with me because I had to watch that happen and it was by far the worst thing I have ever witnessed at a race track. Safety should be the #1 priority for any sanctioning body, race track, or anything racing related!! RIP Charlie!!

Aces&Eights
07-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Full Containment seat in a DLM is overkill and dangerous. Either change the rules on (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit and decking or leave the seat choice up to the driver. I don't want to be stuck in the car unable to escape. Most tards on here don't even know what things like Haans actually protect against, much less demanding I use the seat they heard about...

TALON75
07-03-2016, 03:35 AM
Full Containment seat in a DLM is overkill and dangerous. Either change the rules on (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit and decking or leave the seat choice up to the driver. I don't want to be stuck in the car unable to escape. Most tards on here don't even know what things like Haans actually protect against, much less demanding I use the seat they heard about...

You couldn't be more wrong, ask Billy Moyer about containment seats after Charlotte. I know for a fact in more than one instance that a containment seat and Hans has help my driver not have any real injury.

To the original post, for us it was the show me when fuel cells, seat belts, drivers equipment was checked, they did it for everybody. I don't think a fire supression system would have been enough for the catastrophe that Charlie had to endure, but they are needed on every car.

MRM
07-03-2016, 05:06 PM
I know a lot of drivers in my area added fire suppression systems after the Charlie Young accident. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to get the attention of others.

pierceFAN
07-03-2016, 06:58 PM
I know several drivers past and present... One thing I can say about the drivers I have known is none of them skimp when it comes to safety.. Under hard impact.., belts will get changed...fire retardant underware is worn and kept up to standards... Just about every precaution has been taken and most won't compromise and shouldn't

pierceFAN
07-03-2016, 07:08 PM
I think the question should be what is the tracks safety procedures and staff... Are they trained? I know when we had Kankakee speedway in the 70's we had our own ambulance but not sure if anybody was trained more than a basic course... I was only 12 then

Krooser
07-03-2016, 11:45 PM
Hey pierceFAN... did you run the track in '81? I towed 120 miles for a end of year night time 'sportsman' special only to get there in time for the feature to start... the promoter never changed the start time in the racing paper.

Still pissed about that... had a 454 dually that got 4 MPG. Ran outta gas on the I-57 exit and had to use race gas to get to the track!

pierceFAN
07-04-2016, 12:48 AM
Nope...that sucks though

Aces&Eights
07-04-2016, 11:51 AM
You couldn't be more wrong, ask Billy Moyer about containment seats after Charlotte. I know for a fact in more than one instance that a containment seat and Hans has help my driver not have any real injury.

To the original post, for us it was the show me when fuel cells, seat belts, drivers equipment was checked, they did it for everybody. I don't think a fire supression system would have been enough for the catastrophe that Charlie had to endure, but they are needed on every car.

I'm not wrong, but there is more than one way get the same protection of an FC seat without trapping me in the car to cook. Do FC seats and Haans add protection in a crash? Yes. Is an FC seat the best solution for a DLM style c@ckpit? I say NO. So no thank you Mr Obama I don't need another mandate and to the original thread starter, referencing Charlie in such a disrespectful manner is inexcusable.

Barbecueboy
07-04-2016, 12:38 PM
That flag means there is a race going on and you're not in it.

So move the heck over............

jog49
07-04-2016, 12:58 PM
There seems to be some confusion on the blue flag with a yellow stripe. Some say it's move over, some say it's hold your position. I doubt it's hold your position because I've never seen it thrown except to slow cars in the racing groove who are about to get run over. Hold your position would result in disaster 100% of the time I've seen it used,,,,and that's many decades. And that "there's a race going on and you're not in it" is golden!

RRRKKK
07-04-2016, 02:42 PM
Ask most drivers what they would rather have a new +++HP carburetor on a new seat belt set, what do you think they will buy. Hold your position is what the blue flag with the diagonal stripe means. Move over, move over where left, right, maybe the leader is trying to pass outside, inside, where?

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-05-2016, 09:16 AM
There seems to be some confusion on the blue flag with a yellow stripe. Some say it's move over, some say it's hold your position. I doubt it's hold your position because I've never seen it thrown except to slow cars in the racing groove who are about to get run over. Hold your position would result in disaster 100% of the time I've seen it used,,,,and that's many decades. And that "there's a race going on and you're not in it" is golden!

They don't know where to move to. Most driver meetings I have ever attended states it means "hold your position". It means if you are low, stay low. If you are high, stay high. Don't drift out of your lane on corner exit or hunt for a better groove. As a driver, if the car stays where it was before I got there, it is pretty easy to pass it.