PDA

View Full Version : Is this cost saving?

davis2902
07-03-2016, 07:26 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmQHJLKUkAAp7xU.jpg:large

GRT24
07-03-2016, 07:34 AM
Scott is definitely smart none the less. I'm not sure what all exactly he is doing right here. Maybe someone can enlighten us

MI Dirt Fan
07-03-2016, 07:42 AM
Maybe some kind of a chassis dyno? He is a chassis builder and that is a work shop.

Is it cost saving when Longhorns are built on CAD through an engineering program? Guys just aren't buying tubing and a bender anymore and welding it

I'd be more interested in finding out who took this photo and how it got "leaked".

Necrosis
07-03-2016, 07:50 AM
Yes, this is cost saving, for Scott anyhow. When he starts winning 75% of the races, you could certainly believe that it put money back in his pocket. You have to realize the work ethic he puts in... As it was, extra time for any team is hard to come by, and add this in, well, forget what sleep was like. Most people will bltch about privilege, but this is just more proof that sew=reap, and he and the team work harder than anyone else.

Hovlane
07-03-2016, 07:51 AM
Yep that's a Pull Down rig. I Bet he's isn't going to be happy about that little leak. It simulates what the chassis is doing while under race conditions.

dirty bert
07-03-2016, 07:52 AM
JMO but I think ole Bloomer messing with some people's head,yall know he ant going to let a picture get out that shows anything that really matters

Hovlane
07-03-2016, 08:00 AM
Those have been around racing for a long time just not in the dirt late model world. Nascar teams and Indy car and such have been using them for years. This is what happens when you make the BOX smaller. Teams spend more money to find speed within the smaller box. Smaller box never ever means controlling cost.

That looks like one of the less cheaper models. Only a select few of the nascar teams have the really highend ones and they rent time on them. Price about 800k. that one in the picture not sure maybe 20K for a used one, just a guess on my part.

MI Dirt Fan
07-03-2016, 08:18 AM
NASCAR ones are called 7 posts. Those use actual downloaded data from a tracks racing surface by running laps on them to collect grip levels, bumps etc. Drawing a blank at the moment though on who first came up with it. He was doing broadcasting on ESPN. Obviously they are way more accurate than a dirt racing surface that can change each race or even each lap.

Hovlane
07-03-2016, 08:30 AM
MI Dirt Fan, Yep that about sums it up....

old fan
07-03-2016, 08:31 AM
http://www.mittlerbros.com/Pull-Down-Rig

huskerdirt
07-03-2016, 08:43 AM
The picture surfaced last night on social media. IMO, it's probably atleast a year old pic and somebody put it out there to get a rise out of people.

Moving along....

MI Dirt Fan
07-03-2016, 08:48 AM
The picture surfaced last night on social media. IMO, it's probably atleast a year old pic and somebody put it out there to get a rise out of people.

Moving along....
Same thing I was thinking. Making something out of nothing. I guess that's what happens when you win 3 Lucas events in a row and $30k from the WoO boys last week.

Hovlane
07-03-2016, 08:53 AM
After thinking about it, Bloomquist probably had someone put it out there to stir some people up. lol Most of the teams with bigger budogets where already aware that these are being used by some of the guys. Of course it's a good way change the topic of conversation... hahah

Wonder
07-03-2016, 09:55 AM
Does this mean that modern day chassis builders need to know that three little lines past 14 is actually 14.1875? LOL!

Dirtfan04
07-03-2016, 10:30 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmQHJLKUkAAp7xU.jpg:large

It is a pull down rig that also happens to be sitting on top of a machined surface plate. Both are very expensive when purchased new. Price varies considerably on the used market.

old fan
07-03-2016, 10:34 AM
has all that but still comes up light at the scales at the biggest race of the year wow

GRT24
07-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Yes, this is cost saving, for Scott anyhow. When he starts winning 75% of the races, you could certainly believe that it put money back in his pocket. You have to realize the work ethic he puts in... As it was, extra time for any team is hard to come by, and add this in, well, forget what sleep was like. Most people will bltch about privilege, but this is just more proof that sew=reap, and he and the team work harder than anyone else.

IMO your exactly right. This is what he does for a living not a hobby. Whatever your profession is you want to be the best at all costs. It's nothing more than buying equipment for your company to help increases production or understanding your product to make it better. To him it's an investment in his business to have a more succesfull product. He puts in more time than just about anyone in the sport. You can't fault someone for trying to be the best at their profession and how they make a living.

MI Dirt Fan
07-03-2016, 10:54 AM
has all that but still comes up light at the scales at the biggest race of the year wow

Excuse Litey. He gets jealous of others success rather easy.

dirtdobber45
07-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Since he does work with Roush and Penske plus builds his own cars its likely that he would have a dyno in his shop. Longhorn is Labontes creation and using a CAD to build theirs. Its only fair lol. Yes its not cheap but winning isnt either

zyoung25
07-03-2016, 11:21 AM
It is a pull down rig that also happens to be sitting on top of a machined surface plate. Both are very expensive when purchased new. Price varies considerably on the used market.

And he has 2 of them. Like rumley said #cheaperthanspringrods

oldfart50
07-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Nothing but a pull down rig that is 20 year old technology. Ya he is cutting edge...

Hovlane
07-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Cutting edge technology it's not... More exspense for the racer, yes.

zyoung25
07-03-2016, 11:39 AM

Moving along....

See that little spring nationals sticker on the wing? Scott had never ran a spring nationals race until the 15k to at smokey mountain this year. This isn't a old pic.

GRT24
07-03-2016, 11:45 AM
See that little spring nationals sticker on the wing? Scott had never ran a spring nationals race until the 15k to at smokey mountain this year. This isn't a old pic.

I though the same thing when I posted earlier and looked it up. He has raced in a few spring nat races over the years. Though. At least one every year

zyoung25
07-03-2016, 12:05 PM
I though the same thing when I posted earlier and looked it up. He has raced in a few spring nat races over the years. Though. At least one every year

That could be. That sticker is in the same spot as the car he won with at smokey mountain. I couldn't find any pics of him at others.

huskerdirt
07-03-2016, 12:05 PM

A quick little search revealed he ran several races in 2014. Wasn't he DQd for one in 2015? I know he got thrown out of a Ray Cook race semi recently.

That's not really the point..... All it is another pic put out there to troll you guys..... Remember the 3rd shock deal (lol). He's probably had that pull down rig for years. Now people find out because of a pic and they wanna have all these hot takes. Meanwhile Bloomer is just laughing.

zyoung25
07-03-2016, 12:13 PM
A quick little search revealed he ran several races in 2014. Wasn't he DQd for one in 2015? I know he got thrown out of a Ray Cook race semi recently.

My Google searching skills aren't as keen as yours I dont guess.

old fan
07-03-2016, 12:15 PM
I wonder how many other teams have that rig they are available by mittler brothers betcha more teams have then you realize

billetbirdcage
07-03-2016, 12:19 PM
He's probably had that pull down rig for years. .

He got it after the 2015 season was over, that is the 2nd version of it

huskerdirt
07-03-2016, 12:21 PM
My Google searching skills aren't as keen as yours I dont guess.

Who said I used google?

huskerdirt
07-03-2016, 12:23 PM
He got it after the 2015 season was over, that is the 2nd version of it

Ok.... But why is everybody so concerned on the fact he has one? Honestly who cares.

When Bowyer was running Roush Yates motors. They went to the engine dyno on more than one occasion.

zyoung25
07-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Who said I used google?

I'm referring to Rowland/Owens and Chris Brown.

Google some of these sponsors you see on racecars and see what type of businesses they

Actually you did.

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?354417-Heard-Gas-prices-could-get-down-to-a-1-00-what-does-this-mean-for-our-sport

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-03-2016, 12:39 PM
Ok.... But why is everybody so concerned on the fact he has one? Honestly who cares.

When Bowyer was running Roush Yates motors. They went to the engine dyno on more than one occasion.

Engine dynos are way more commonplace. And easier access. We will eventually get to the point that Bloomer was a 7 post machine. But, weekly LMs will be completely gone by that point.

GRT24
07-03-2016, 12:40 PM

That's not really the point..... All it is another pic put out there to troll you guys..... Remember the 3rd shock deal (lol). He's probably had that pull down rig for years. Now people find out because of a pic and they wanna have all these hot takes. Meanwhile Bloomer is just laughing.hQUOT

He was DQed for tires I do believe actually. Its really not that big a deal. The man is just as good at mind games as he is in the seat.

oldfart50
07-03-2016, 12:44 PM
I had a dirt late model on a seven post in 2000. Again these guys are way way behind, but you hicks think it is cutting edge...

huskerdirt
07-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Actually you did.

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?354417-Heard-Gas-prices-could-get-down-to-a-1-00-what-does-this-mean-for-our-sport

Let me get this straight....

So you went back to a topic almost 6 months ago where I suggested someone to use Google in regards to what some of these race teams are supported by???

And that in some way is me just using google all the time??

Troll on.....brother. Lol

huskerdirt
07-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Engine dynos are way more commonplace. And easier access. We will eventually get to the point that Bloomer was a 7 post machine. But, weekly LMs will be completely gone by that point.

You are probably right. If bloomer has the money to purchase a rig. Then by all means he can go right ahead. There are stretches he still struggles and stretches he dominates. Just like before without the rig.

formercrewguy
07-03-2016, 01:00 PM
Wow....you guys would really get yer panties wadded up if you knew top teams are also spending time in wind tunnels! Because they are.

old fan
07-03-2016, 01:09 PM
imagine that you might a think a chassis builder might need that pull down rig also

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Wow....you guys would really get yer panties wadded up if you knew top teams are also spending time in wind tunnels! Because they are.

Yes they are. LM cars have been in/on every piece of equipment available to NASCAR.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-03-2016, 01:25 PM
You are probably right. If bloomer has the money to purchase a rig. Then by all means he can go right ahead. There are stretches he still struggles and stretches he dominates. Just like before without the rig.

I am one of those people that believes the pull down rig is of limited usefulness, but Bloomer is in the infancy of using it. So who knows?

jr27rh
07-03-2016, 01:26 PM
There will never be parity in racing no matter how hard people try to make it that way, you can't make drivers use 50% or even 75% of their talent to even the field, guys like Bloomquist are always ahead of the game or you get behind

old fan
07-03-2016, 01:45 PM
yep like coming up light or forgetting your tool box lol

Aces&Eights
07-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Maybe some kind of a chassis dyno? He is a chassis builder and that is a work shop.

Is it cost saving when Longhorns are built on CAD through an engineering program? Guys just aren't buying tubing and a bender anymore and welding it

I'd be more interested in finding out who took this photo and how it got "leaked".

GRT built cars using engineering programs back in 1995 using stress analysis and the works...
Rayburn used D!ck Anderson(Engineer) of Carrera shocks to design the canti-lever suspension in 80's.

And yes it is cost saving to use CAD to design fixtures and race cars instead of costly trial and error. Doesn't mean it'll work better though, but the odds improve. Super Late Model is the elite end of the spectrum, its expensive and will only get more so as time marches on. Racers should focus more on learning how to attract sponsors and being smarter about suspension instead of crying and moaning for rules to force the rest of the world to race on their budget. When did racers quit trying to come up with their own ideas instead of just buying one. The same mentality keeps people on welfare and food stamps, buck up and be what an American use to be, instead of a giving in to a social assistance mindset.

t3r3e3
07-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Excuse Litey. He gets jealous of others success rather easy.

Some people (Bloomer) work for what they have, and others pull the Slipping Jimmy routine on St. Louis sidewalks when they're not posting 300 times a day on here dogging someone else's success.

zyoung25
07-03-2016, 02:06 PM
I am one of those people that believes the pull down rig is of limited usefulness, but Bloomer is in the infancy of using it. So who knows?

I talked to a guy last night that said the same thing as you say here. He said these things arent as useful unless a guy has the time and know of these high dollar data acquisition deals. Which then a guy needs to do a lot of testing.....again more money.

old fan
07-03-2016, 02:11 PM
some people (bloomer) work for what they have, and others pull the slipping jimmy routine on st. Louis sidewalks when they're not posting 300 times a day on here dogging someone else's success. yep cheat your way thru life its the american way and far as the sidewalk well if somebody would 've done there job there wouldn't been says the lawyer for st louis city

dirtdobber45
07-03-2016, 09:58 PM
Dyno must be working... wup those woo boys last week and swept em in ohio this week

Krooser
07-03-2016, 10:14 PM
I thought a pull down rig was an oak tree and a port-o-power...

MI Dirt Fan
07-03-2016, 10:25 PM
I thought a pull down rig was an oak tree and a port-o-power...
Still is. Believe me. We've done that somewhat recently. Sometimes you also have to start it up and use reverse also. Lol

racingfool32
07-03-2016, 10:54 PM
Tommy Hicks tweeted the pic.

huskerdirt
07-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Tommy Hicks tweeted the pic.

The fake one... not the real one.

MI Dirt Fan
07-03-2016, 11:24 PM
I think the original poster Davis(something) is just trying to stir the B.S. I saw in the archives him doing the same thing about something else with Bloomer.

Krooser
07-03-2016, 11:36 PM
MDF,

We must live on the poor side of town... across the tracks... down in the boondocks.

hotshoe65s
07-03-2016, 11:56 PM
As someone who works with push up rig (cup team's version of a pull down rig) and 7post on a weekly basis, I can tell you that I see nothing special going on there. It looks like nothing more than a surface plate and some scale pad stands. He is just using a surface plate to get everything as level and accurate as possible. Then he has some lasers it looks like to get alignment measurements. I don't see much for hydraulics going on in the picture. And if you were doing a pull down work you would want your scale pads mounted where they couldn't move. Those pad stands are just sitting on 6 pedestals like every cup team uses at the track each week, they are free to move around.

MI Dirt Fan
07-04-2016, 12:00 AM
MDF,

We must live on the poor side of town... across the tracks... down in the boondocks.
lol. I live in town. He lives out in the boondocks where no one would see.
A couple chains, a porta power and a come along. Sit back and watch the magic.

Wonder
07-04-2016, 09:12 AM
Pierce doesn't have a calibrated surface plate, dyno or a pull down jig and he wins races. He does have a port-a-power! LOL

chupp n bloomer fan
07-04-2016, 09:35 AM
Wow....you guys would really get yer panties wadded up if you knew top teams are also spending time in wind tunnels! Because they are.They've been in the wind tunnel for over ten years. Randle Chupp, Bernheisel, were two of the first I knew of.

jog49
07-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Some of the resident blowhards on 4M provide the hot air for a number of wind tunnels! LOL!

Bubstr
07-04-2016, 10:19 AM
Seems a lot of people want to make something exotic out of a pull down rig. All they are is a way to put side force on your center of gravity and scales to read the difference in wheel weights, while doing this. This, if used right, can tell you the balance of a car at any degree of a corner or even straight a way. It can tell you the changes in balance, with higher or lower center of gravity. Just like any other tool, they are only as good as the person using it. This is nothing new. Drag racers where using something similar as far back as the late 60s to get equal traction on the rear wheels.

old fan
07-04-2016, 10:21 AM
a tool using a tool brillante lol

davis2902
07-04-2016, 11:57 AM
I think the original poster Davis(something) is just trying to stir the B.S. I saw in the archives him doing the same thing about something else with Bloomer.

Do you work for homeland security or the FBI? You really have to go dig in the archives to review all my past posts so you can determine my intent? I am merely asking how any team is cost saving by buying a machine such as the one Bloomer has? Lucas/WoO got all bent out of shape over a $700 part but this is OK. I don't care if Bloomer, Rumley, Mark Richards, and Bowyer all have one but to say that banning Rumley's device was cost saving was total BS!

old fan
07-04-2016, 12:01 PM
yep they ban that device bet let driver return after multiple time having tire not come clean from the labs

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-04-2016, 12:02 PM
Do you work for homeland security or the FBI? You really have to go dig in the archives to review all my past posts so you can determine my intent? I am merely asking how any team is cost saving by buying a machine such as the one Bloomer has? Lucas/WoO got all bent out of shape over a $700 part but this is OK. I don't care if Bloomer, Rumley, Mark Richards, and Bowyer all have one but to say that banning Rumley's device was cost saving was total BS!

Anyone who really has a clue about what goes on in the LM world knows it was BS. It is what it is though...

dirtdobber45
07-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Dlm drivers have been getting parts from NASCRAP for many years now. Then it was wind tunnel testing now this..its just a trickle down affect theres nothing much you can do about it

old fan
07-04-2016, 01:59 PM
64,950 and it can be yours from mittler brothers in foristell mo

MI Dirt Fan
07-04-2016, 02:37 PM

No. I was looking for something else and came across it. Only takes about 2 mins with the search box.

huskerdirt
07-04-2016, 03:08 PM

Nobody can control what these guys have in the shop. Just like they can't control how fancy the hauler is driving down the road. That's not these sanctions business nor is it there spot to say anything.

If you have a problem with bloomers pull down rig, then you have a problem with pretty much every team out there that has a certain toy or a brand new hauler.

Take your Bernie Sanders mentality elsewhere.

davis2902
07-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Nobody can control what these guys have in the shop. Just like they can't control how fancy the hauler is driving down the road. That's not these sanctions business nor is it there spot to say anything.

If you have a problem with bloomers pull down rig, then you have a problem with pretty much every team out there that has a certain toy or a brand new hauler.

Take your Bernie Sanders mentality elsewhere.

I don't have a problem or a Bernie Sanders mentality because I know that certain teams will always have better shop equipment or haulers than the other, but you are missing the whole point. I am merely pointing out that the "smaller box", as it is being called, is doing nothing to curtail costs. I recall a statement made by a series official, that everyone would have to hire a team engineer to do the research needed to make Rumley's device work. It certainly takes someone with that degree of knowledge to apply the data from a pull down or 7 post rig. As for the wind tunnel thing, Wolfpack had some of the worst looking LM bodies ever and you see that they ran their course.

old fan
07-04-2016, 05:26 PM
betcha rumley has the same thing if not better

b1eagle
07-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Andy Petre came up with it.Blooms came from Mike Waltrip.

huskerdirt
07-04-2016, 05:55 PM
I don't have a problem or a Bernie Sanders mentality because I know that certain teams will always have better shop equipment or haulers than the other, but you are missing the whole point. I am merely pointing out that the "smaller box", as it is being called, is doing nothing to curtail costs. I recall a statement made by a series official, that everyone would have to hire a team engineer to do the research needed to make Rumley's device work. It certainly takes someone with that degree of knowledge to apply the data from a pull down or 7 post rig. As for the wind tunnel thing, Wolfpack had some of the worst looking LM bodies ever and you see that they ran their course.

A pull down rig is a piece of shop equipment. That's all it is. It's expensive no doubt. But the series has no authority to regulate what goes on the shops. All they care about is whether the car is legal on the track.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-04-2016, 05:58 PM
A pull down rig is a piece of shop equipment. That's all it is. It's expensive no doubt. But the series has no authority what to regulate that goes on the shops. All they care about is whether the car is legal on the track.

What they care about is bringing cars back to the pack but unwilling to call it what it is. Thus, some are confused by the fake cost argument.

mud duck
07-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Like some have stated, the different series can't make rules for teams at their shops or hauling the cars down the road! They can only worry about the car on the track. I will say, Scott, Richards, Rumleys and a few others better make their money now! Because in a few years they will be lucky to be running against themselves. The car builders, the big money teams are killing the sport by a slow death. I know it's just the nature of the beast. But, owners aren't going to keep throwing money at 10th place finishes!! Richards on the WoO and Bloomer cleaning house on the Lucas! Not, many crumbs left.

old fan
07-04-2016, 06:21 PM
http://www.mittlerbros.com/videos what about the locals just not showing up that might be a wake up call

dirtdobber45
07-04-2016, 06:34 PM
And what chassis builder wouldnt have one of those to see what his product is doin before it goes out the door? Bloomquist builds his own so why wouldnt he have one? Seems like you should be able to take your car to whomever built it and be able to dyno it..for a small fee of course lol

old fan
07-04-2016, 06:41 PM
exactly you think Richards and Pierce etc may have it also

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-04-2016, 06:42 PM
And what chassis builder wouldnt have one of those to see what his product is doin before it goes out the door? Bloomquist builds his own so why wouldnt he have one? Seems like you should be able to take your car to whomever built it and be able to dyno it..for a small fee of course lol

Right now, I think zero builders have a pulldown rig. Bloomer is not a builder.

old fan
07-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Who does bobby pierce drive for in the trucks

Racer2010
07-05-2016, 07:47 AM
Notice the other precision plate in the bay closer to the guy taking the picture lol