07-05-2016, 05:34 PM
Pierce will be in Kyle hammers #45 tonite

Say what? What gives?

pierceFAN
07-05-2016, 05:49 PM
Liftgate broke....can't get the cars out

Cardirt0
07-05-2016, 05:54 PM
They were Best friends a long time a go.. Still friends just dont run around with each other no more... so i can see them loneing them there car....

Cardirt0
07-05-2016, 05:58 PM
Well we see what he can do in Hammers car .. They dont have the money in it like Bobbys car...They win it It then Bobbys the Man....

kipling
07-05-2016, 06:05 PM
DoD has only 14 cars entered and Bobby isn't listed in the 32 or 45 car.

kipling
07-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Group 1 has Gardner, Gundaker, Staggs, Spatola, Erb, Griffaw, Culp

Group 2 has Black, Feger, Smith, Unzicker, Heckenast, Conaway and Rickey

This is from DOD

Cardirt0
07-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Back before they filled in the in field and made the track smaller this use too be in my top 5 tracks....

HoosierDirtFan
07-05-2016, 06:19 PM
23 Modifieds& Maybe 19 late models.

Cardirt0
07-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Not a lot of Lates around that track no more.. So most cars will be driving in.. Or as the say No loco cars..Them not running lates weekly now.......

jr29
07-05-2016, 06:26 PM
14 cars.....yikes. Two of those are weekly racers from the St. Louis area. I thought this race might draw a Michigan car or two and maybe some southern Indiana cars.

old fan
07-05-2016, 06:27 PM
actually 3 are from st louis area

chathamracefan
07-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Has there been a $5k show draw more than 30 cars this year on the tour? J ville had 29 I think. Maybe Belle Clair? Seems the weeknight shows have lost a lot of steam the last few years. Definitely not worth a $25 admission imo to see 2 or 3 heats with no b main. I kind of think summer nationals should become a Thursday to Sunday deal over a few weeks and paying the $10k to win each night.

jr29
07-05-2016, 06:40 PM
actually 3 are from st louis area

I wasn't counting Gundaker since he's following the whole tour but, you are right. Counting him there are three.

kipling
07-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Now they list 16 after time trials with Hammer in group 1 and Bobby in Group 2. Must have gotten there late.

pierceFAN
07-05-2016, 06:42 PM
DoD shows Bobby qualifying in the #32... Maybe they got it fixed...hope so

MI Dirt Fan
07-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Were you guys really expecting 25-30 cars on a Tuesday night after a holiday weekend????

old fan
07-05-2016, 07:20 PM
at a track with no locals ,tracks like belle Claire has 4 tracks to pull from plus the track is always great

Cardirt0
07-05-2016, 08:05 PM
What you expect Track was closed for 3 years.. dont run lates... closest track I think is like 60 + miles... 16 cars on a Tue better then Most....

ILRaceFan007
07-05-2016, 08:13 PM
Last year they returned to the tour for the first time since 2009 and had 37 cars. On a Wednesday, after a show in Odessa, MI the night before and LaSalle was next up.

First show after the 4th on a Tuesday last year was VCS here in Danville, got rained out.

18 cars is pretty bad, no matter who you are, where you are, what night of the week you are running. Stop making excuses. Car counts are down this year, and everyone should be trying to figure out ways to fix it, not a. complain about it or b. make excuses for it.

ILRaceFan007
07-05-2016, 08:14 PM
The post by chathamracefan is what I'm talking about. Throwing out an idea. That's what needs to happen. Ideas brought to the table. Don't think that HellTour crew doesn't get on here and read these, they do.

jr29
07-05-2016, 08:17 PM
I wasn't expecting 55 cars but 14 seemed pretty sparse. I don't think that's an outlandish statement.
I'd say 18-24 seemed about right. They got 16 so not far off.

bullring
07-05-2016, 08:18 PM
I think these summernationals races were paying 5,000 to win more than 20 years ago.

ILRaceFan007
07-05-2016, 08:25 PM
They ended up with 18, jr29, but after 37 last year and looking at the trends this year, I was guessing 28-30 tonight.

Cardirt0
07-05-2016, 08:25 PM
SN Close to Death give it 2 or 3 years then Gone....

fastford
07-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Last year they returned to the tour for the first time since 2009 and had 37 cars. On a Wednesday, after a show in Odessa, MI the night before and LaSalle was next up.

First show after the 4th on a Tuesday last year was VCS here in Danville, got rained out.

18 cars is pretty bad, no matter who you are, where you are, what night of the week you are running. Stop making excuses. Car counts are down this year, and everyone should be trying to figure out ways to fix it, not a. complain about it or b. make excuses for it.

saw TRUMP speak today, he said he could fix it...........

mstew75
07-05-2016, 08:38 PM
I think these summernationals races were paying 5,000 to win more than 20 years ago.

Precisely why there are hardly any SLM teams and tracks that run them anymore. Same pay as 20 years ago and how much has the cost to operate a SLM gone up in 20 yrs? I blame car owners, tracks, fans, series sponsors, drivers, sanctioning bodies. Nothing and I mean nothing has been done to fix the problem. Racing will continue to die until track promoters tell the sanction bodies to go screw themselves, team up with their neighboring tracks, set up affordable classes and actually try to rebuild/save our sport..

Cardirt0
07-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Precisely why there are hardly any SLM teams and tracks that run them anymore. Same pay as 20 years ago and how much has the cost to operate a SLM gone up in 20 yrs? I blame car owners, tracks, fans, series sponsors, drivers, sanctioning bodies. Nothing and I mean nothing has been done to fix the problem. Racing will continue to die until track promoters tell the sanction bodies to go screw themselves, team up with their neighboring tracks, set up affordable classes and actually try to rebuild/save our sport..

Will not help some people with money will cheat too win and spend lots of money too do it ,..... WHY cause they CAN.....

racecar1127
07-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Thanks to anyone who gives updates,

mstew75
07-05-2016, 08:52 PM
Will not help some people with money will cheat too win and spend lots of money too do it ,..... WHY cause they CAN.....

Very true. But, what is the alternative? Sit idly by and just watch the past time we love die because some one may cheat anyway? I know I wont. I am going to keep pushing for a fix, keep pushing local promoters and owners to see that they are losing with open classes and even not open classes because there is no real tech done to the cars.

Cardirt0
07-05-2016, 09:00 PM
75 I wish I new.. But I think its past fixing .. Wont hurt me I am close too death.. Seems Like all good things come too a end .. May happen here.. If I had a lot of money i open a Race Kart track....You can tek. them easy....

rickybrown1952
07-05-2016, 09:12 PM
LM feature feger,unzicker,t culp,gardner,pierce,t erb

Highside Hustler25
07-05-2016, 09:18 PM

And admission used to be $20,00. Then $25.00. Now $30.00.:confused:

ptown
07-05-2016, 09:23 PM
SN Close to Death give it 2 or 3 years then Gone....

When they changed all the dates and started making them zig zag all over the Midwest was the beginning of the end, only an idiot would think that's a good idea. I remember when they would have Lasalle Tuesday, Peoria Wednesday, Spoon River or Macon?Thursday, Farmer City Friday and Fairbury Saturday.

MI Dirt Fan
07-05-2016, 09:47 PM
The AELT tour here in MI pays $4k to win and gets close to 30 cars. $15 to get in I think I saw was the going rate at most tracks. I see Rich Bell, last years LaSalle track champ has 2 wins on it.

Is he driving past these SN tracks a longer distance for less money?

old fan
07-05-2016, 10:09 PM
Bad for drivers but better for fans, most fans can't or won't go 3, 4, 5 nights in a row. I went to fairbury and lasalle because they were a week apart but wouldn't have made both back to back. in 98 I took a vacation for the middle of the summer nats now its impossible thanks Sam

MI Dirt Fan
07-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Doesn't ALMS still pay $2k to win? lol

kidrock
07-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Bad for drivers but better for fans, most fans can't or won't go 3, 4, 5 nights in a row. I went to fairbury and lasalle because they were a week apart but wouldn't have made both back to back.

Exactly some don't understand things like that. your asking fans from about the same geographical area to spend about 180.00 for a week of racing.

racecar1127
07-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Anyone know what took heckenast out of the race.

plunks7
07-05-2016, 10:43 PM
Congrats to Jason and crew. Hopefully more to come soon.

IZZOJR16
07-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Last year they returned to the tour for the first time since 2009 and had 37 cars. On a Wednesday, after a show in Odessa, MI the night before and LaSalle was next up.First show after the 4th on a Tuesday last year was VCS here in Danville, got rained out. 18 cars is pretty bad, no matter who you are, where you are, what night of the week you are running. Stop making excuses. Car counts are down this year, and everyone should be trying to figure out ways to fix it, not a. complain about it or b. make excuses for it.pretty simple to figure out. racing and cost of living have went up and most regional events are still paying 5,000.00 to win. for how many years , 25+ years or so?????

IZZOJR16
07-05-2016, 10:54 PM
Has there been a $5k show draw more than 30 cars this year on the tour? J ville had 29 I think. Maybe Belle Clair? Seems the weeknight shows have lost a lot of steam the last few years. Definitely not worth a $25 admission imo to see 2 or 3 heats with no b main. I kind of think summer nationals should become a Thursday to Sunday deal over a few weeks and paying the $10k to win each night.indeed AND PAY MORE

ILRaceFan007
07-05-2016, 11:06 PM
"PAY MORE!!!" Always the first "solution" from keyboard jockies.

Do you think the tracks are getting so rich they can just snap their fingers and "pay more"? No one is getting rich at this game. If you want "pay more", then the first thing to fix that will be for the promoters to "charge more" at the grandstand and at the pit gate. Have you looked at all the whining about prices on this board already?

Are you aware it's almost 22,000 in purse money just to have the 5k to win show, just for the late models, and another 10k to pay a 10 grand to win show? 1,000 fans at 25 bucks. That's an iffy proposition these days, and it barely pays the purse for a 5k to win show. And then throw in the dwindling car count, which also means dwindling receipts at the back gate to pay the help, the insurance, the UMP crew, buy the concessions, etc.

Oh, let's not forget the cost of fuel to run a water truck around the track dozens of time every week, or the cost of water for those who don't have a well on site. How about electricity to run those high-powered lights for five hours? And if you want to get anybody to the track, you have to spend money advertising, whether it's TV, newspaper, radio, signs, billboards.

But yeah. Real easy. Just "pay more". Viola. I shake my head.

427c.i.
07-05-2016, 11:27 PM
I believe the weekday shows used to pay 6K and they dropped to 5K and spread the money out through the field. Maybe 3-4 years ago.

IZZOJR16
07-05-2016, 11:28 PM
"PAY MORE!!!" Always the first "solution" from keyboard jockies. Do you think the tracks are getting so rich they can just snap their fingers and "pay more"? No one is getting rich at this game. If you want "pay more", then the first thing to fix that will be for the promoters to "charge more" at the grandstand and at the pit gate. Have you looked at all the whining about prices on this board already? Are you aware it's almost 22,000 in purse money just to have the 5k to win show, just for the late models, and another 10k to pay a 10 grand to win show? 1,000 fans at 25 bucks. That's an iffy proposition these days, and it barely pays the purse for a 5k to win show. And then throw in the dwindling car count, which also means dwindling receipts at the back gate to pay the help, the insurance, the UMP crew, buy the concessions, etc. Oh, let's not forget the cost of fuel to run a water truck around the track dozens of time every week, or the cost of water for those who don't have a well on site. How about electricity to run those high-powered lights for five hours? And if you want to get anybody to the track, you have to spend money advertising, whether it's TV, newspaper, radio, signs, billboards. But yeah. Real easy. Just "pay more". Viola. I shake my head. Wrong, its part of many "solutions". These drivers are still making the same ( especially regional shows) for literally 25+ years past. so everything else has gone up, but the purses. Darn right some complain about the price at the gate when these shows are still paying the same to win as years past but charging more at the gate and draw less cars.

MI Dirt Fan
07-05-2016, 11:31 PM
Fuel prices are way down. Both regular and diesel are under $2 a gallon. Just sayin'

GEAR_HEAD
07-06-2016, 12:24 AM
There aren't many late models left in Indiana. They could have paid $10k to win and still would have had the same amount of cars.

huskerdirt
07-06-2016, 01:09 AM
"PAY MORE!!!" Always the first "solution" from keyboard jockies.

Do you think the tracks are getting so rich they can just snap their fingers and "pay more"? No one is getting rich at this game. If you want "pay more", then the first thing to fix that will be for the promoters to "charge more" at the grandstand and at the pit gate. Have you looked at all the whining about prices on this board already?

Are you aware it's almost 22,000 in purse money just to have the 5k to win show, just for the late models, and another 10k to pay a 10 grand to win show? 1,000 fans at 25 bucks. That's an iffy proposition these days, and it barely pays the purse for a 5k to win show. And then throw in the dwindling car count, which also means dwindling receipts at the back gate to pay the help, the insurance, the UMP crew, buy the concessions, etc.

Oh, let's not forget the cost of fuel to run a water truck around the track dozens of time every week, or the cost of water for those who don't have a well on site. How about electricity to run those high-powered lights for five hours? And if you want to get anybody to the track, you have to spend money advertising, whether it's TV, newspaper, radio, signs, billboards.

But yeah. Real easy. Just "pay more". Viola. I shake my head.

I approve this post.

It's really not that simple as paying more. LESS fans are going to races. Promoters can't charge anymore because the ones that do go b!tch and moan.

20 years ago when I started paying my own way into the races.... It was $8, now it's $10 maybe $12. When the Busch all star tour rolled into town or was like $15-$18. Now the same regional show is $20. The front gate hasnt increased that much.

Racing itself has been priced out of market. And it has nothing to do with what promoters are charging/paying out. I just shake my head at some of the new equipment these guys buy to run for maybe a $1,000 to win each week.

MI Dirt Fan
07-06-2016, 01:25 AM
I just shake my head at some of the new equipment these guys buy to run for maybe a $1,000 to win each week.

Even some of the hand me down stuff. Is it really necessary to have a stacker and toter to go race 50-100 miles from home for $1000. Or is the "your not cool if you don't have one" factor? 7-8 months out of the year its just sitting around not being used.

TheJet-09
07-06-2016, 01:48 AM
Go to Farmer City (or an equivalent) and check out some of these Crate teams! I'm well beyond my means and resources in running a Late Model, and am frankly unable to compete with the likes in my area, but the thought of running a Crate is no more appealing because I know I wouldn't compete with them either. I might as well stay where I'm at and triple or quadruple my start money running last in a Late Model than what they pay in a Crate. But is that the answer?

cgrace
07-06-2016, 08:12 AM
good job feger nobody wascatchin him lastnite. thought he was going to lapall of em

huskerdirt
07-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Even some of the hand me down stuff. Is it really necessary to have a stacker and toter to go race 50-100 miles from home for $1000. Or is the "your not cool if you don't have one" factor? 7-8 months out of the year its just sitting around not being used.

That's exactly how I feel. There is one team in my area that doesn't even travel more than 100 miles(at most) to a race. They got a brand new S&S. If guys have the money then by all means go right ahead and get that toter. But you better not be screaming pay us more at the pay window.

huskerdirt
07-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Go to Farmer City (or an equivalent) and check out some of these Crate teams! I'm well beyond my means and resources in running a Late Model, and am frankly unable to compete with the likes in my area, but the thought of running a Crate is no more appealing because I know I wouldn't compete with them either. I might as well stay where I'm at and triple or quadruple my start money running last in a Late Model than what they pay in a Crate. But is that the answer?

It's getting like that in my area.... The top 3 limited/crate late model teams drive 2 brand new Swartz's and an XR1. And they are racing for $400 every week. Unreal.

blncfn57
07-06-2016, 09:03 AM
And admission used to be $20,00. Then $25.00. Now $30.00.:confused:

and there used to be so many people you were (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) near sitting on top of the person next to you. Let's be honest with ourselves. We don't have to attend the races to see the action anymore. Used to be if you wanted to know what happened you had to go attend the show, or wait until tuesday for the local paper to come out to get a sketchy idea of what happened. We don't have to leave our homes these days, even if we don't see the action live as it's happening we can watch it within hours of it being over. Nascar has made it work because they get big TV money to make up for the butts that are missing from the seats. What are these small local tracks getting from dirt on dirt or any of the others? Not alot, maybe a little advertising is all, but what good does advertising do if the people seeing it are seeing it because they are subscribed to a website so they don't have to leave home?
I love all the coverage I can get from home and these guys that cover it do a great job, BUT lets not blame the promoters because they have to charge more to pay the same purse due to less people attending. I said 15 years ago that the big paying late model shows would kill the weekly show and thay all but have.

BTExpress
07-06-2016, 09:15 AM
Dumb question: What does a top of the line new S&S motor-home/stacker trailer combination go for $300,000 or $400,000 or am I being conservative? I can see the full time national series guys ( maybe 30 or 40 teams throughout the entire country ) having one with all the travel, but like many on here have stated, do the local and regional teams really need one when they travel less than 100 miles for a weekly or regional show? The entire crew can stay in a "pretty nice" hotel when warranted and still not spend what most teams do in a season even if they are leasing those types of rigs.

huskerdirt
07-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Dumb question: What does a top of the line new S&S motor-home/stacker trailer combination go for $300,000 or $400,000 or am I being conservative? I can see the full time national series guys ( maybe 30 or 40 teams throughout the entire country ) having one with all the travel, but like many on here have stated, do the local and regional teams really need one when they travel less than 100 miles for a weekly or regional show? The entire crew can stay in a "pretty nice" hotel when warranted and still not spend what most teams do in a season even if they are leasing those types of rigs.

I would say a brand new is probably around the 400k range. Give or take alittle depending how many bells and whistles you put on it. I get why guys have them. Even if you run like MLRA series they are some long trips in there 6-8 hours one way. Most of the time those are multi day swings. Do that 2-3 times a month and it adds up.

I've seen some pretty nice used run about 225-250k. It seems most regional guys in my area go that route.

turnleftandgasit
07-06-2016, 09:24 AM
While it may have hurt some tracks, it has raised others to new heights. If it wasn't for DoD, most of the traveling race fans would not be heading to FALS on a regular basis now.

blncfn57
07-06-2016, 09:44 AM
While it may have hurt some tracks, it has raised others to new heights. If it wasn't for DoD, most of the traveling race fans would not be heading to FALS on a regular basis now.

I can agree with that. Dirt on dirt does a nice job, I never said they didn't. My point was, I have attended races all my life. I raced for 22 years myself and there was nobody more die hard than I was. I used to attend at least 3 races a week and more this time of year when there were more races to go see. Now, thanks to DOD I don't have to leave home and spend $ for gas and a pit pass (as I can't sit in the stands). For about $10/mo I save hundreds of dollars. I still go to the races about once a week, but that is nothing compared to what I used to. The tracks are the ones losing the revenue and I understand why I have to pay more to watch a show that pays the same to win that it has for 20+ years. I'm still money ahead, even paying higher gate fees when I go. I know that I am not alone in this practice.
LaSalle, more times than not, puts on a great show, but what used to be elbow to elbow seating for special events is not that way anymore. I coulda threw a rock into the stands monday night and had only a 50/50 chance at hitting someone.

I just wonder if the tracks are not missing the boat on this by not doing their own online pay per view for their special events.

turnleftandgasit
07-06-2016, 09:58 AM
I think it goes deeper than too much coverage. Families didn't have travel leagues for 5 different sports for 3rd graders back in the day, we didn't have 500 TV channels to watch, etc, etc, etc. Add in the extra costs of today, and most can't go to that many races.

BTExpress
07-06-2016, 11:07 AM
I'll take my situation. All three of my kids played travel sports, soccer, AAU basketball, lacrosse etc.We were always traveling to some tournament throughout the summer, but yet I still managed to attend races. I viewed it as my "vacation time". All three were fortunate to play sports in college. I am now in my mid fifties and my youngest has two more years of college. By all standards I make a comfortable living. Yet with household expenses, college tuitions, two future weddings to pay for and trying to put some money away for retirement, I struggle to go to the races as much as I did even five years ago. I used to attend 35 to 40 races a year and now I'll will be lucky to see 15 races this year. I'd go EVERY week if I could, but now I find myself only going to a few each month. I tend to go to the bigger shows, even though I know I will pay $20 to $30 to see them. In the old days I'd go even with a treat of rain. Now I'm watching three weather channels and checking my smart phone looking at weather maps before I leave the house. I stayed home a few times this summer thinking it was going to rain....and it never did. It is tough being a promoter in today's dirt track racing world.

Clayton_Wetter
07-06-2016, 04:25 PM

Yep, but admissions have nearly doubled? To make up for it. hahahhahahaa