PDA

View Full Version : Restart Technique

A ron
07-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Anyone have any advice for restart technique? I'm pretty new to racing as most know, I just seem to be getting plain smoked on restarts and I'm positive it's me and not the car.

RacerX10
07-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Watch the flagman, not the cars in front of you. When the green drops, hit the gas. If you bump somebody in front of you, they screwed up, not you.

I've been overly aggressive in this advice, but you get the idea. Watch the flagman on starts.

rakracing
07-05-2016, 06:26 PM
sorta like drag racing if ya see green your a day late, keep the car loaded, on gas and brake to hold it back, I tend to watch 2 to 3 cars in front for them to kick or hike up and be on the guy in front of you [not under him] screw him and yourself. if on the pole never restart the same spot or the same way

riddle28
07-06-2016, 06:24 AM
^ this guys got it. i wouldnt say watch the flagman unless youre first 3 rows or so or youll go through alot of bumpers. watch the attitude of the guys a few cars in front and trail brake all you can stand it

A ron
07-06-2016, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys I think that will help a ton

Matt49
07-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Try to watch a few rows ahead. Watching the flagman only works if he starts the race. Everywhere we race, the leader starts the race.
Also, if you race with the same group of guys week in and week out. Pay close attention to the starts and restarts of the races you're not in. Put what you see in your mental notebook. It could come in handy on a crucial restart in the future.

PushinTheLimit
07-06-2016, 10:49 AM
If I'm on the inside a few rows back, I will pull out to the left just enough to watch the leaders car and see when he's taking off. As soon as I see his car get up, I'm gone too.

RacerX10
07-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Watching the flagman only works if he starts the race.

That's what I was talking about, I should have been more specific.

AmickRacing
07-10-2016, 09:28 PM
I also tend to pay attention to the leaders front tire, depending on the guy, but a lot of guys I know turn left right as they take off. Helps get the car up on the bars quicker. As soon as you see the tire start to turn you get on it and you'll usually be fairly close. But it helps to know your competitors too. There's one guy who's really good at changing his starts, and I've caught myself going when he turns, but he'll wait just a split second before he goes, and that throws my start off.

My advice, to me anyway, is I usually plan on barely jumping the start (when in the front row), and usually I'm right on time. If I wait until I see the pole guy go, or the green flag, I'm a row back.

P.S. I hate restarts... lol

Necrosis
07-24-2016, 07:19 PM
Bribing your local flagman to give you a secret one count has shown promise.

ALF401
07-24-2016, 09:03 PM
Usually, there is a driver's meeting and the flagman will go over how he starts the race. Pay no attention to it if you are on the front row and remember "There are two kinds of racers....Ones who jump the start and those that are jumped at the start!"

CCHIEF
07-25-2016, 06:49 PM
Never do the same thing twice and always force the start when 2nd. You get another chance if you leave too early. Never brake check the field,biggest azzhole move.

manwplan
07-26-2016, 07:18 AM
Never do the same thing twice and always force the start when 2nd. You get another chance if you leave too early. Never brake check the field,biggest azzhole move.

What i hate though is when the 2nd or 3rd place car try to anticipate (which is what they're supposed to do) but miscalculate and have to get on the brakes. Then the leader who never touched the brakes gets blamed for a brake check. Happens all the time.

Lizardracing
07-26-2016, 08:28 AM
At my local track it won't matter what you do cause there will be a crash at turn 1 anyway.
Two weeks ago we restarted 7 times in a row then ran two laps before another! No kidding!

A ron
07-26-2016, 09:35 AM
restarts were a little better last week thanks to you guys. And Lizard ours is usually that way too

PushinTheLimit
07-26-2016, 12:07 PM
I totally understand that you can make up alot of spots on restarts, but more often than not... it seems to get people tore up and the risk just isn't worth it to me. I try to just not lose anything on starts and if there is a good opportunity to move up, I will, but not at the expense of running over someone. So many crate guys try to win it on the first lap or first lap of a restart and take themselves and others out with them.

powerslide
07-26-2016, 12:16 PM
At my local track it won't matter what you do cause there will be a crash at turn 1 anyway.
Two weeks ago we restarted 7 times in a row then ran two laps before another! No kidding!

Yeah just turn right and go over the bank when everyone crashes in 1. I hate starting on the bottom.

A ron
07-26-2016, 12:24 PM
I'm the opposite. Every time I start on top I end up pinched in the wall.

CCHIEF
07-26-2016, 06:01 PM
In My opinion..... most races are started way too slow. And unless it is a wide track should be single file nose to tail @ the fire line. There would be a lot less parts sold that way!

zeroracing
07-26-2016, 06:20 PM
I'll agree with started too slow, I like double file though. Used to run a 1/3 mile and going single file restart at the cone halfway down the back stretch. The leader almost is lapping cars before the last few cars even make it to the cone.

swartzman
07-29-2016, 07:23 PM
A Ron, there's away around that getting pinched up to the wall,, get your front tires ahead of his front so you do not knock your toe out and steer back against him.. as far as what people are calling trail braking the start what its doing is building cylinder pressure and has the complete drive line loaded up..

A ron
08-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Thoughts on this start? https://www.facebook.com/1597175693842811/videos/1960688687491508/