PDA

View Full Version : Is Smokey Mountain worth the trip? Honest opinions

pap
07-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Thinking about driving up there tomorrow, over 4hrs. one way. My problem is I have plans Sunday morning, and would like to do those plans with a smile on my face knowing I seen a good race. From folks that have been there, is the racing pretty good?

Dirt Racing #1
07-08-2016, 04:38 PM
Never been to that track. But I would check the weather before deciding to go. I think my buddy has been there. I will find out.

Dirt Racing #1
07-08-2016, 04:56 PM
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Maryville+TN+37801:4:US

Dirt Racing #1
07-08-2016, 06:01 PM
My buddy said the racing is usually pretty good.

golddirt
07-08-2016, 06:28 PM
Make the trip!!!

Dirt Racing #1
07-08-2016, 09:42 PM
Check the weather before you leave!!!!!

B_K
07-08-2016, 10:33 PM
Can be good, but like most big tracks cars get strung out a good bit.

callmez
07-08-2016, 11:54 PM
It's a 4/10 mile track, rather good facilities and the track is usually in good shape. Bloomquist and Randy Weaver are the drivers to beat here, but Weaver is still out from his wreck at EAMS. Chris Madden is good at SMS too. Do yourself a favor and stop and eat at Full Service BBQ in Maryville on the way, or the Aroma Cafe (Cuban food) or Lemon Grass (Thai/sushi) if you're so inclined. My 6 year old and I will be there, and probably at Full Service BBQ beforehand.

pap
07-09-2016, 03:16 AM
Thanks for all the answers guys!!! Watching videos, it seems to race similar to the big Green valley before the re-size, would that be close??

Barbecueboy
07-09-2016, 07:54 AM
It's a 4/10 mile track, rather good facilities and the track is usually in good shape. Bloomquist and Randy Weaver are the drivers to beat here, but Weaver is still out from his wreck at EAMS. Chris Madden is good at SMS too. Do yourself a favor and stop and eat at Full Service BBQ in Maryville on the way, or the Aroma Cafe (Cuban food) or Lemon Grass (Thai/sushi) if you're so inclined. My 6 year old and I will be there, and probably at Full Service BBQ beforehand.

That's a great mix of cuisine right there........id probably call in to go and bring all 3 to the track.

B_K
07-09-2016, 08:39 AM
Thanks for all the answers guys!!! Watching videos, it seems to race similar to the big Green valley before the re-size, would that be close??

Yeah, that would be in the ballpark.

pap
07-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Thanks B_K, i figured you would know.

TerryM
07-09-2016, 02:49 PM
This has to be the first food recommendation for Cuban/Thai/Sushi in the history of 4m.

buckeyebandit7
07-09-2016, 03:05 PM
I will be there tonight so will try to post updates. On a side note, heard on a local radio show this AM an interview with an Australian DLM driver who will be running tonight. Last name was Vosberg, I believe. Do not remember first name. He is here for the next month or so and it sounded like he planned on running the Southern Nationals tour before going back to Australia.

Slideways
07-09-2016, 03:11 PM
I've always wanted to go to Smokey Mountain... but I guess, for the time being, it'll remain on the old bucket list.

buckeyebandit7
07-09-2016, 03:16 PM
I'm new to the Knoxville area so I'd never been there until this year. Only about 45 mins from me. Fast place. Racing is pretty good. At the WOO show, bloomer ran away and hid from everyone but the racing behind him was stellar between Madden, Roberts and Richards...Marlar made his way up to that battle toward the end of the race as well.

acetone
07-09-2016, 03:29 PM
I will be there tonight so will try to post updates. On a side note, heard on a local radio show this AM an interview with an Australian DLM driver who will be running tonight. Last name was Vosberg, I believe. Do not remember first name. He is here for the next month or so and it sounded like he planned on running the Southern Nationals tour before going back to Australia.

yeah he is running southern nationals

NormP
07-09-2016, 09:23 PM
Think his first name is Craig, and I think he's a customer of Steve Francis, but I might have confused with the other Australians associated with Francis.

Highside Hustler25
07-09-2016, 09:32 PM
Think his first name is Craig, and I think he's a customer of Steve Francis, but I might have confused with the other Australians associated with Francis.

Correct. Craig Vosbergen. Plans on sticking around thru World 100.

buckeyebandit7
07-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Correct. Craig Vosbergen. Plans on sticking around thru World 100.

I think he said in that radio interview that he's been getting a lot of help from Shannon Thornsberry. He also transferred out of the B into tonight's feature.

MI Dirt Fan
07-09-2016, 09:48 PM
Never realized until about 7-8 years ago they raced LM in another country. I think Jeep Vanwormer has hosted a few guys and have shipped a few cars down under.