PDA

View Full Version : Steve Francis was lucky wow

Hovlane
07-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Just saw that was a piece of lead that hit him in the face last night. That could have been much worse!

dirtdobber45
07-16-2016, 01:43 PM
It was a piece of lead? Wow He was lucky, hope for a fast recovery

Hovlane
07-16-2016, 02:28 PM
Ya according to DOD story. Broken nose and a concussion.

Kwoods25
07-16-2016, 02:48 PM
They picked up 2 pieces at the first caution in turn one. He took a hard hit.

CGF
07-16-2016, 04:44 PM
What car did the lead come off of?.

slmcrewchief99
07-16-2016, 04:59 PM
They need to find out who it was for sure that lost it. There is absolutely NO excuse for lead to come off any car on the track.

chupp n bloomer fan
07-16-2016, 05:17 PM
They need to find out who it was for sure that lost it. There is absolutely NO excuse for lead to come off any car on the track.I thought it was a rule that the lead had to be marked, and yes, no excuse. Unless you flip like Landers did and something broke and it came off then, there is no reason. Good way to kill someone or injure them like Francis.

MI Dirt Fan
07-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Isn't the lead suppose to be painted white and car # on it?

Years ago Troy Vanderveen ran over a piece and it came through the fire wall and broke his foot and I think broke the brake pedal off.

gorj
07-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Hope Steve is goona be okay. Cars need to go through a tech / safety inspection before the drivers meeting of every race.

BerckFan
07-16-2016, 06:26 PM
Lead is to be painted white with car # clearly marked. Saw BShepp go over and talk to officials after they picked the two pieces up off the track. Could have been something else I suppose. Evidently it wasn't bloomquist, as he did get the thumbs up when he scaled. ;)

Snake X3
07-17-2016, 09:34 AM
They mentioned something during the Lucas Oil TV 'cast last night about changing a rule on where the lead could be located and/or how it had to be secured after what happened to Francis. Wish I could remember more. Maybe someone else does.

MI Dirt Fan
07-17-2016, 09:42 AM
I think there's a local rule here for cars except LM that you can't put weight in certain locations on a car. I wanna say its anything past the fuel cell is off limits.

MI Dirt Fan
07-19-2016, 05:27 AM
Lucas said there was NO piece of lead on the track and that Steve was hit by a hard piece of clay/dirt.

JustAddDirt
07-19-2016, 07:30 AM
I had the same thing happen, but without the broken nose. Huge mud clod/rock
mine was 7 stiches under right eye and a mild concussion.
broke the face out of brand new Simpson Voo-doo helmet. That is what came back and hit my face, but helmet did its job in a sense.
also got hit with a lower coil over assembly and adapter for a 5" spring on a modified, broke another helmet right above visor. another mild concussion

BerckFan
07-19-2016, 10:21 AM
Lucas said there was NO piece of lead on the track and that Steve was hit by a hard piece of clay/dirt.

Not arguing with you, but would sure like to know what it was the official picked up off the track. Sure looked like a broken in half piece of lead.

fryefan
07-19-2016, 10:43 PM

I don't know where you heard this from, but they talked about it (lead weight) at length at Saturday night's driver's meeting at Wheatland (the race right after this). It was definitely a piece of lead.

fryefan
07-19-2016, 10:44 PM
Not arguing with you, but would sure like to know what it was the official picked up off the track. Sure looked like a broken in half piece of lead.

That is exactly what it was.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-19-2016, 11:14 PM
Lead was picked up before the incident. What hit Francis? I haven't seen any evidence of that. Never heard if they found what it was.

mud duck
07-20-2016, 01:17 AM
Has anyone heard how he's doing? (maybe still too early) or when he plans on returning?