PDA

View Full Version : Ball joint changing?

Crash101
07-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Had a new car this winter. Lower Ball joints in the car were a shorter ball joint which falls into the spindle further. Honestly never took notice of the change up from previous cars. Started out the year like a house of fire. Mid way through May we bent a ball joint at the track and replaced it with what had always been our standard Howe ball joint from our other cars , and still didnt take notice of the difference in height, until a few races later and I was doing all the front end work and noticed something looked jacked up. Here I had two different ball joints in car. Taller one in LF and shorter one in RF. I made the change to put all the ball joints to the taller ones and reset the front end. Theyre tellling me the original shorter ones I had in there werent right, which I never put in anyways, but thats another story. But car hasnt seemed to be near as good since the change. I notice a big difference in front end droop with the shorter ones with the droop being more. I know theyre not right but (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) they worked good. Can someone explain to me what the tall one vs the shorter one will do or accomplish. Pros and cons. Driver says the car steers good with both and front feels fine to him for the acception of the few weeks with the wrong ones. Thanks

Matt49
07-18-2016, 08:26 PM
With the shorter lower ball joint, you essentially shortened the effective height of the spindle. Assuming you were setting ride heights based on distance from lower control arm to the frame, you raised the roll center by shortening the spindles. This is part of your problem but the bigger factor is that you also decreased the static angle of the upper control arms which hurt your RF camber gain. I'm surprised the car handles better with the non-standard ball joints.